Options

Selecting which photos to send to Animoto

richlin71richlin71 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 26, 2009 in SmugMug Support
When creating an Animoto video, *all* the photos in the gallery are sent over. In my case, the gallery with my son's pictures has 300 photos. From the Animoto interface it's possible to delete the ones I don't want - but that's a huge pain. Not to mention the fact that Animoto spend a lot of time trying to download the all thumbnails.

Is/will it be possible to select which photos/videos to export to Animoto?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Not sure, but we'll check into it!
  • Options
    richlin71richlin71 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Not sure, but we'll check into it!

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, I've noticed that videos from SM result in a "File error" thumbnail in Animoto...so videos don't work.

Love the feature though. I discovered Animoto from this feature, and just signed up to the All Access pass.
  • Options
    Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    richlin71 wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Also, I've noticed that videos from SM result in a "File error" thumbnail in Animoto...so videos don't work.

I noticed this as well; it doesn't import any videos from Smugmug, every one of them comes up as a "File error". This is a bit of a deal breaker, I'm going to hold off on signing up for the all-access pass until it is fixed...

I sent a message to Animoto about it through their Contact Us form, since I think the problem is on their end.
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Thanks for this great new feature!

I, too, learned a couple of things when creating my first video with Animoto last night.

1. All photos from a particular gallery that you select are sent over. It's quite tedious to delete them.

2. If your photos are watermarked, that gets sent too. So, unless this changes, you'll likely want to create a separate gallery with no watermarks.

3. Videos on my smugmug page don't work at this time in Animoto.

Just my observations on a couple of issues that could use a little massaging. Thanks again for a great new feature! clap.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2009
    Videos are limited to 5 seconds for non-pro and 10 seconds for pro. Maybe your videos are exceeding this limit?
  • Options
    Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2009
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Videos are limited to 5 seconds for non-pro and 10 seconds for pro. Maybe your videos are exceeding this limit?

Yes, I know that's the limit for the clips actually included in the Animoto video, but you're supposed to be able to pick those 5/10 seconds out of your full video in the Animoto interface while setting it up. If they require you to manually edit the video yourself before it gets uploaded (to shrink the original clip to 5 seconds), that defeats the whole point of using Animoto in the first place. I don't think that's their intention, and hope they'll be fixing the feature.
  • Options
    asozziasozzi Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2009
    Same issue with videos here
    I have the same issues regarding the videos (file error). I can download the video (use the save function) to desktop and re-upload it and that works.

But I think I know what the issue is with animoto. Try saving a video from your gallery while it is running (overlay mode) using the "Owner Save" link from the top navigation bar.
    It downloads a partial mp4 that only contains the first still frame (200k).
    Animoto uses the same link and gets the same broken video.

I hope this is fixed soon.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I've talked back and forth with Animoto on these issues. The last I remember that we left it was that they were working on improvements that would pull the videos. I also ran into 300+ photos in a gallery all the time and SLOWness problems pulling up all the galleries (around 15 minutes). Both issues are currently unresolved so I can't use Animoto. :cry I wish I could. I would crank out at least 1 video a week, and have enough photos and video clips for about 4 feature films. rolleyes1.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2009
    I too signed up for a $30 annual pass to make videos. Very cool feature, but as a photographer the low or web rez is such poor quality that its almost painful to watch.

I then paid an extra $5 to make it high rez and its great, but now it wont host on Smugmug.

Confilicting decisions for me, it's really nice stuff, but tougher to manage. The football one I did was cool, easy, and worth it for hi def.

The 30 second clip of a single 5 minute session with my wife and daughter really made me smile, but low def ruins it for me.

I put it on my ipod and will show some people. Maybe its a situation where good enough is good enough.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.