Options

Path/URL to images has changed

aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I searched for this in a couple of subforums and came up with zip, sorry if it's been discussed...

I was just getting ready to send someone a link to a single image from my site and I noticed the path to the images is no longer "http://pix.aerog.com/photos/imagename.jpg". Now the path includes the category, gallery name, original filename, and smugmug's filename for the image.

*HUH*!?

Example:

The direct link to this image - 548697233_iHSsu-S-3.jpg

used to be http://pix.aerog.com/photos/548697233_iHSsu-S-3.jpg

Now it's http://pix.aerog.com/Image-Store/Aerials/DSC0747a/548697233_iHSsu-S-3.jpg

Obviously both full url's work - I can still use the original one, but right-clicking on the image gives me that second full URL including my original filename and so does the "share" button.

A workaround is to use the "hide owner" option in the gallery but that's a lousy solution. A second option is to edit every stinkin' link to every image I send to people or post on forums - which is an every lousier solution causing a lot of needless clicking, editing, and work.

A good solution is to put it back the way it was PLEASE, or failing that give us the option of having the share button parse out all the data and show us just the "http://pix.aerog.com/photos/548697233_iHSsu-S-3.jpg" type link.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 23, 2009
    That changed with the introduction of NiceNames in August. See August 13th entry in http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Sorry Denise, you're incorrect.

Nicenames changed the url to the galleries and to the categories, etc. It didn't change the actual URL to the .jpg

On October 10th, for example, I posted a link to a .jpg from my site. I copied the link by right-clicking and using "copy image location". The url to that image was "http://pix.aerog.com/photos/676466447_B5vRZ-XL.jpg"

Today the link to the same image is "http://pix.aerog.com/Private/Forum-Images-2/nassaupan1/676466447_B5vRZ-XL.jpg"

It's not just a matter of "nice names" because the url also includes the original filename of the image. "nassaupan1.jpg" was the original filename. It wasn't a gallery or category or an assigned nicename, it was a filename - yet it shows up in the URL.

I suspect it has something to do with the changes on the 15th, maybe with the planned possibility of pointing to images from multiple galleries... Whatever it is, it sucks.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 23, 2009
    A good solution is to put it back the way it was PLEASE, or failing that give us the option of having the share button parse out all the data and show us just the "http://pix.aerog.com/photos/548697233_iHSsu-S-3.jpg" type link.

We released this again last night (it had some bugs before). It's a massive improvement to the SEO of all SmugMug images. We can certainly discuss having that extra feature on the share page though.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Sheaf wrote:
    We released this again last night (it had some bugs before). It's a massive improvement to the SEO of all SmugMug images. We can certainly discuss having that extra feature on the share page though.

Sheaf, I'm sorry - instead of typical Smugmug goodness this is a smugmug FAIL.

Some comments about it:
    • The URL to each of my images now contains the original filename of that image. All that does for me is make the URLs longer and show the world my original filenames unnecessarily. Seriously - this is dumb.
    • I can rewrite each url with the old method myself for posting on forums, but every single image on my site still has the original filename embedded in the path.
    • Each image filename shows the entire path through my site to that image. If we're posting images on forums it conveniently shows everyone that I have multiple hidden galleries in a hidden category on my site. The fact that I just told the world that isnt the point but...yeah, I can manually rewrite each URL I post if I have to.
    • If we move an image from one gallery to another, but the original massivly long URL remains as a link on a website will the image get "lost"? It appears that the servers automatically find that filename then regenerate the URL based on it's current location on a Smugmug user's site. If that remains true then the problem of "lost" images shouldn't be a factor, but does doing all that regeneration of the URL put an unnecessary load on the smugmug servers and possibly cause longer load times downstream?
      Using the previous naming scheme "xyzpdq.com/photos/name.jpg" was short, simple, never changed regardless of how many times you moved it, and worked fine.

Ideally I'd love to see an option in my gallery customization menu that lets me turn this "feature" on and off. "Hide Owner" accomplishes this but with all the other side effects of "hide owner" too.

As you can tell my biggest complaints are the massively long URLs and the inclusion of the original filename in the URL to every single image. It's not the end of the world but hey, this is Smugmug where we're accustomed to having a lot of control over how our sites operate and how they display our work. I have no control over this latest change and, frankly - it's almost a deal-breaker.

Please fix it!
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    Sheaf wrote:

I had added a custom search to my website a couple of days ago...everything was working fine until I checked it this morning.

Suddenly, I have comment and rating boxes in the lower left side of the screen. I have both comments and rating turned off.

I removed the all of the custom search code from my footer. The comment/rate boxes were still displayed.

I added code to my CSS to NOT display comments and rating. The comment/rate boxes were still displayed.

It show's up everytime a gallery is accessed with my custom domain and is iffy with my smugmug domain.

There are other odd problems happening that begain back in August when you implemented "nicknames".

This is frustrating because we are modifying our sites and you are implementing new code that has the potential to affect our sites without notifying us. We then assume it's our code and have to do a lot of trouble shooting. It's hard to tell if it's something we've done or you've done.

Phil

www.sunglophoto.com
    www.sunglo.smugmug.com

690110752_We6qA-L-1.jpg
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    SunGlo wrote:
    Suddenly, I have comment and rating boxes in the lower left side of the screen. I have both comments and rating turned off.

Can you link me to the gallery where this happens on your site?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    SunGlo wrote:

I removed the all of the custom search

There's an error in your code, somewhere, but I'm not smart enough to find it :( Put a new thread in the customizing forum so the experts can help. I know it's an error in your code, because if you switch a gallery to appearance=SmugMug, thus removing your customizing, the comment boxes don't show up.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Can you link me to the gallery where this happens on your site?

http://www.sunglophoto.com/Land-Sea-and-Air/Red-Sky-at-Night/92367_yebGk#544869407_EEjfP
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    There's an error in your code, somewhere, but I'm not smart enough to find it :( Put a new thread in the customizing forum so the experts can help. I know it's an error in your code, because if you switch a gallery to appearance=SmugMug, thus removing your customizing, the comment boxes don't show up.

How does that explain the fact that this problem did not appear until this morning? Also, I removed all of the custom search code and the problem remained.
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    SunGlo wrote:
    How does that explain the fact that this problem did not appear until this morning? Also, I removed all of the custom search code and the problem remained.
    I do not know - but there's some sort of error we have to find it in your customizing....
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    SunGlo wrote:
    Your custom footer has some HTML errors in it that are at least causing part of the problem.

First, you are missing a </table> tag to close the table. This can cause things after the table to have weird undefined behavior and if Smugmug just recently changed any of the HTML after your custom footer, things could have changed. Usually when a benign change causes a big problem to show up, it's because there was a previous error that you were getting lucky with. I haven't studied your custom footer code in detail, but you should make sure that every start tag has a corresponding finish tag <table> with </table>, <div> with </div>, <td> with </td>, etc...

Second, you have <tl> tags in your table. I have no idea what those are. What are you trying to accomplish with them. <tr> is for a row if that's what you meant to use.

Third, if you validate your CSS here, you have a lot of CSS errors. I don't think they are responsible for this particular issue, but they may cause other problems now or in the future. In particular, you are using the background: attribute wrong by specifying only a color and you are using colors by name that are not universal standards. These issues occur hundreds of places in your CSS.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    • Each image filename shows the entire path through my site to that image. If we're posting images on forums it conveniently shows everyone that I have multiple hidden galleries in a hidden category on my site. The fact that I just told the world that isnt the point but...yeah, I can manually rewrite each URL I post if I have to.
    Please fix it!
    Grabbing a photo link to use on forums and other external sites should not
    expose the cat, sub-cat or gallery number/key. That is an invasion of
    privacy if the photo is in an unlisted gallery, like giving out an unlisted
    phone number. I use an unlisted gallery for links to forums and other
    reasons and it has all kinds of garbage in it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Your custom footer has some HTML errors in it that are at least causing part of the problem.

First, you are missing a </table> tag to close the table. This can cause things after the table to have weird undefined behavior and if Smugmug just recently changed any of the HTML after your custom footer, things could have changed. Usually when a benign change causes a big problem to show up, it's because there was a previous error that you were getting lucky with. I haven't studied your custom footer code in detail, but you should make sure that every start tag has a corresponding finish tag <table> with </table>, <div> with </div>, <td> with </td>, etc...

Second, you have <tl> tags in your table. I have no idea what those are. What are you trying to accomplish with them. <tr> is for a row if that's what you meant to use.

Third, if you validate your CSS here, you have a lot of CSS errors. I don't think they are responsible for this particular issue, but they may cause other problems now or in the future. In particular, you are using the background: attribute wrong by specifying only a color and you are using colors by name that are not universal standards. These issues occur hundreds of places in your CSS.

Thanks John,

The close table statement was there originally, but somewhere in my cleaning up and trouble shooting it was deleted. That appeared to be causing the problem...why it didn't show up until this morning...who knows.

The <tl> was a typo, it should have been <tr>.

I knew about the color names and have been slowly changing them out in my spare time. Same thing with any other errors, as I discover them a try to fix them.

I have no formal training on this, it's all been reading and experimenting so yes, I will make mistakes and yes, I do get frustrated.

I apologize if I offended anyone and thanks for getting me back on the strait and narrow.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Grabbing a photo link to use on forums and other external sites should not
    expose the cat, sub-cat or gallery number/key. That is an invasion of
    privacy if the photo is in an unlisted gallery, like giving out an unlisted
    phone number. I use an unlisted gallery for links to forums and other
    reasons and it has all kinds of garbage in it.
    Yeah, this seems wrong to me and huge change in the the privacy of the image URLs obtained by either right-click or via the Share button. I've filed a bug report here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    SunGlo wrote:
    I apologize if I offended anyone and thanks for getting me back on the strait and narrow.

Phil
    How could you offend anyone by asking for help in a help forum :D That's what we're all here for.
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Yeah, this seems wrong to me and huge change in the the privacy of the image URLs obtained by either right-click or via the Share button. I've filed a bug report here.

I'll have to agree that this is a huge negative. I very much liked the ability to share a single photo from anywhere on my sight without exposing my structure or hidden galleries.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    hyachts wrote:
    I'll have to agree that this is a huge negative.

it's a bug. We'll fix it.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    it's a bug. We'll fix it.
    Fixed.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Fixed.
    That was quick. Nice response!
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2009
    It's not fixed here.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    It's not fixed here.
    Link? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Grab any image you want. They all show the whole path. I'm talking about right-clicking, not using the share button.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    Grab any image you want. They all show the whole path. I'm talking about right-clicking, not using the share button.
    Are you looking in an unlisted gallery - that's where I saw the change and expected the change? Public galleries are supposed to show the whole path.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Well, in that case I don't like it.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    Show me an unlisted gallery
    http://www.borealphoto.com/Animals/Oiseaux-Petites-images-Birds/8040702_RjGiw#523322472_bc5aJ

Example, there are two unlisted galleries in /Animals - both when you right click and view the link, you get a non-nicename url :)

http://www.borealphoto.com/Animals
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Any way to opt out of nicenames for photos?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    No, I'm sorry. But Unlisted, passworded galleries won't have nicename urls for photos. Our customers have overwhelmingly asked for better SEO and Google findability. This is part of it.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Does that mean you'll remove your description about being the "ultimate photo sharing" from my site too?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    Erick L wrote:
    Just curious Erick. Why do you want to opt out of nicenames for photos?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2009
    - I don't want people tracking the source, unlisted or not.
    - I don't want filenames showing.
    - URL will be lost if the photo is moved.
    - URL is ridiculously long.