528825053_ePxdo-XL.jpg
528824835_8qD8L-XL.jpg
528824816_TyVfh-XL.jpg528824994_jES7X-XL.jpg528824947_gyz7j-XL.jpg

Any CC is always welcome

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    The first Hooker shot is great; wonderful light, and a very expressive pose. The second one doesn't do a lot for me.

The first, third, and fourth Al Green photos are terrific despite the overexposure of his suit (perhaps a tone curve could have fixed that?). The second one makes me think he's either yawning or about to sneeze. The last one (with the rose) isn't bad, but I can imagine some smart-aleck in a magazine giving it the caption, "PLEASE DON'T SHOOT!"

You don't identify the two guitarists following. The pictures are good, but not too exciting. If these guys are sidemen and you don't want their pictures to upstage those of the leader, then that's appropriate.

The first, second, and fourth Elvis shots are great. Something about his posture and expression in the third makes me think of a carnival barker, and the OOF highlights on the angled segment of the microphone stand are kind of distracting; it almost looks furry. The last shot, I just don't like the camera tilt.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Wow 200mm f2? I am jealous bowdown.gif

These are wonderful, wonderful performance shots - clear, clean and definitely capturing the energy the performers are putting out. The only one that doesn't do it for me is the first Elvis Costello - might not notice if it was a standalone, but compared to the others, it's soft.

Fantastic shots.
  • Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    The first Hooker shot is great; wonderful light, and a very expressive pose. The second one doesn't do a lot for me.

The first, third, and fourth Al Green photos are terrific despite the overexposure of his suit (perhaps a tone curve could have fixed that?). The second one makes me think he's either yawning or about to sneeze. The last one (with the rose) isn't bad, but I can imagine some smart-aleck in a magazine giving it the caption, "PLEASE DON'T SHOOT!"

You don't identify the two guitarists following. The pictures are good, but not too exciting. If these guys are sidemen and you don't want their pictures to upstage those of the leader, then that's appropriate.

The first, second, and fourth Elvis shots are great. Something about his posture and expression in the third makes me think of a carnival barker, and the OOF highlights on the angled segment of the microphone stand are kind of distracting; it almost looks furry. The last shot, I just don't like the camera tilt.

Thanks for the feedback. The two other guitarists are back ups for Al Green. I didn't get their names.
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    divamum wrote:

These are wonderful, wonderful performance shots - clear, clean and definitely capturing the energy the performers are putting out. The only one that doesn't do it for me is the first Elvis Costello - might not notice if it was a standalone, but compared to the others, it's soft.

Fantastic shots.

I agree with divamum. These are fantastic shots. I know how hard it is to get these kind of photos at a performance. I haven't tried my 200mm f2 at it yet. Now you have me wanting to go to a performance.
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Gerat stuff. You caught some really expressive, peak moments. That's what live music photography is all about.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    GREAT shots!!! Thanks for sharing! The emotions are really coming through!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Fantastic shots.

Thanks for the feedback. I LOVE my 200mm f2. When I shoots sports with it it give an almost 3D feel. Funny thing about the first Elvis Costello shot, It was much sharper and I softened it up because I liked the look better. I also did a black and white of one of the guitarists that I would love an opinion on. I will post it on Thursday( I don't have acces to it right now.).
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    GREAT shots!!! Thanks for sharing! The emotions are really coming through!

Thanks, They were great to work with, they provided ample opportunities.