Options

New York City

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited October 3, 2009 in Journeys
Went back to NYC with the wide angle again, took some pics of buildings mostly.

D700
Nikkor 14-24mm F2.8 handheld

655631014_Whgut-XL.jpg

#2 Ferry leaving to the Statue of Liberty
655632631_uxQDs-XL.jpg

#3 Inside statue of Liberty
655633095_L89j8-XL.jpg

#4 Crown of the statue
655633269_YLZu7-XL.jpg

#5 Leaving the Statue
655634334_gR3Qs-XL.jpg

#6 Battery park immigrant statue
655632489_9dGws-XL-1.jpg

#7 Hungry squirrel
655631733_ZV87M-XL.jpg

#8 Cool wall
655631830_yx67C-XL.jpg

#9 Apple store fountains
655636583_kEG43-XL.jpg

655636710_FkCdK-XL.jpg

#11 A hotel
655637180_JNEdF-XL.jpg

#12 slow shutter
655637549_R6wjb-XL.jpg

#13 Building at day
655635535_aMw4t-XL.jpg

#14 Building at night
655639150_AfiQ2-XL.jpg

#15 Intersection
655635724_f2Uc9-XL.jpg

#16 Building
655639860_HiUqR-XL.jpg

#17 A Synagogue
655645695_9U5Yy-XL.jpg

#18 A building
655648260_YaFX5-XL.jpg

#19 The doorman made me stand here to take this pic and wouldn't let me in the middle or sides. He said famous people live there so they don't allow paparazzi to take pictures.
655643895_YNRw4-XL.jpg

655634757_tT2iE-XL.jpg

#21 View from my hotel room
655647061_wz6bJ-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Very nice shots rookieshooter! Love number 20!clap.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    Man !
    These photos have increased curiosity to visit NY inside me ! amazing photographs and buildings
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2009
    Does anyone have any "these suck" type of thoughts? I know when you look at pics on a forum it's usually not usual for someone to say "this sucks" but if anyone has thought that about any of these pics, please let me know. I'm always looking for critical feedback. Thanks!
  • Options
    mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    Well I certainly can't say they suck. I think they're awesome.

#21 is very Batman / Gotham City like. I love it.

I like #14, Building at Night, better than it's daytime counterpart.

#12 threw me for a minute. I was expecting your standard rear-sync. It looks like you used the front sync instead. To me, it's a little backwards. Instead of reading it as the motion of the traffic, I think the bus is shooting laser beams forward. Very good chance that's just me though.

#20 I wish the primary building was lined up. The reflection of the other buildings, however, is very cool.

So, again, these are awesome. But, if you're like me, getting something more than just a "those are great" is always helpful.

Tom
    Tom Parker
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Nice shots, love the architecture.

FYI, #11. It isn't A hotel, it is THE hotel: The Plaza: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza_Hotel
  • Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    I'm always looking for critical feedback. Thanks!
    I think they are damn clever! Real nice work.

Andyw
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    Beautiful looking series of shots!! Hard to pick a favorite!!
  • Options
    mtbparker wrote:
    Well I certainly can't say they suck. I think they're awesome.

#21 is very Batman / Gotham City like. I love it.

I like #14, Building at Night, better than it's daytime counterpart.

#12 threw me for a minute. I was expecting your standard rear-sync. It looks like you used the front sync instead. To me, it's a little backwards. Instead of reading it as the motion of the traffic, I think the bus is shooting laser beams forward. Very good chance that's just me though.

#20 I wish the primary building was lined up. The reflection of the other buildings, however, is very cool.

Yeah, I'm always kind of torn as to the angle to take the pic from. Some times I like it lined up, other times I think it's better a tad askew. It is something I will need to think about more in the future in the field.

So, again, these are awesome. But, if you're like me, getting something more than just a "those are great" is always helpful.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tom[/quote]

For pic 12, I am not sure I understand this really. Are you talking about flash? When I've hard the terms rear sync and front sync in the past it's been regarding flash, and on my camera I can choose which I want. But no flash was used in any of these shots.

Yeah, I'm always kind of torn as to the angle to take the pic from. Some times I like it lined up, other times I think it's better a tad askew. It is something I will need to think about more in the future in the field.
  • Options
    Hey there,

Yeah, for #12, it looks like you used a flash with front-curtain sync. It's interesting that you say you didn't use any. hmmph...

I found this site. The pictures at the bottom of the page are a comparison. The bus and van in your pic sure looks like the front-sync example here with the lights are leading the image of the model train.

http://www.shortcourses.com/use/using6-2.html

Again, I love the shots. Now you've got me curious how that bus looks like it does.

Tom
    Tom Parker
  • Options
    Yeah, I see what you are saying. I have never used the flash on this camera though. I know from my studies that on-camera flash sucks and I have not bought a hot shoe flash yet, and luckily with this D700 body and a fast 2.8 lens I can basically shoot at night so I don't go there.

FWIW here are the shots with EXIF:

http://joshnorem.smugmug.com/Other/New-York-Wide-Angle-Part-Two/9701190_ZsfKC#655637549_R6wjb

One more example, also no flash
    655638163_J5e39-L-1.jpg

Exif: http://joshnorem.smugmug.com/Other/New-York-Wide-Angle-Part-Two/9701190_ZsfKC#655638163_J5e39
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Nice shot, but the curb is in the way. Still great shot though.

I would like to disagree with you and others that say the on camera flash sucks, it does not. If you use it right and use a defuser with it, it is wonderful!
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    Yeah, I see what you are saying. I have never used the flash on this camera though. I know from my studies that on-camera flash sucks and I have not bought a hot shoe flash yet, and luckily with this D700 body and a fast 2.8 lens I can basically shoot at night so I don't go there.

FWIW here are the shots with EXIF:

http://joshnorem.smugmug.com/Other/New-York-Wide-Angle-Part-Two/9701190_ZsfKC#655637549_R6wjb

One more example, also no flash
    655638163_J5e39-L-1.jpg

Exif: http://joshnorem.smugmug.com/Other/New-York-Wide-Angle-Part-Two/9701190_ZsfKC#655638163_J5e39

That's much more of what I'd expect if there was no flash. You can see traces of the vehicle along its path, but no strong impression of it at either end of the light trail. Being that you say there's no flash in the original image, it makes that image just that much more interesting for me. :)

So really, this just boils down to an interesting discussion of flash-sync (which doesn't even apply in your photos. Laughing.gif)

Regardless, the photographs are very nice.

Tom
    Tom Parker
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    cmason wrote:
    Nice shots, love the architecture.

FYI, #11. It isn't A hotel, it is THE hotel: The Plaza: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza_Hotel

ha! Was going to say exactly the same thing. rolleyes1.gif
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    hah, sorry -- I don't have all the landmarks down pat just yet. Beautiful looking hotel though.
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    I used to work at #18!

It is 101 Avenue of the Americas-just north of Canal.

I actually took a bunch of pictures of that building for my old employer and he posted one of them on his website. While the union has most of the floors in the building, there are other private companies there as well.

Awesome shots by the way.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    Does anyone have any "these suck" type of thoughts? I know when you look at pics on a forum it's usually not usual for someone to say "this sucks" but if anyone has thought that about any of these pics, please let me know. I'm always looking for critical feedback. Thanks!

The 1st few shots were not really grabbing me and I wa about to clcik away until I got to #6. The bird in the shot was kinda nice (like the statue was releasing it) and then it just got better from there. I often have the intial reaction "these suck" haha..but then I try to delve a bit further to actaully why they suck hehe.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    The 1st few shots were not really grabbing me and I wa about to clcik away until I got to #6. The bird in the shot was kinda nice (like the statue was releasing it) and then it just got better from there. I often have the intial reaction "these suck" haha..but then I try to delve a bit further to actaully why they suck hehe.

Well maybe next time I'll put the best pics first!

I'm also in San Jose if you ever want to go on a photo walk. PM me if interested. I'm always interested in finding new places to shoot as I don't know much about the area really.
  • Options
    pjamespjames Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    These are wonderful. I think #20 could be even better with a tighter crop, centered, straightened, and getting rid of the building on the right.

Love the curved building at night. NICE WORK!! SERIOUSLY!
    -Pat James
    Pat James Photography
    St. Louis Wedding and Portrait Photographer
    http://www.pat-james.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
  • Options
    double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Suck? Absolutely not. My thoughts:

#3: I can't find a place for my eye to settle on. Can't tell if I'm looking up or down or what. Which doesn't make it a bad pic, but I can't figure out what I'm seeing.

#11 is made for a view camera--looks like the hotel is falling backwards.

#12: LOVE this pic, but why does it look like the busses are going backwards???? Excellent!

Overall great pics! Thanks for posting.

Rancho
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2009
    Suck? Absolutely not. My thoughts:

#3: I can't find a place for my eye to settle on. Can't tell if I'm looking up or down or what. Which doesn't make it a bad pic, but I can't figure out what I'm seeing.

#11 is made for a view camera--looks like the hotel is falling backwards.

#12: LOVE this pic, but why does it look like the busses are going backwards???? Excellent!

Overall great pics! Thanks for posting.

Rancho
    For #3 understood. I would offer an explanation but a photo that requires one is not a good one IMO, so point taken.

For #11 I'm not sure what you mean by "is made for a view camera." ?

For #12 I just held the shutter open for a few seconds while kneeling at this intersection and I think the bus came into the frame right at the very end. Just a lucky shot really. I ended up taking about 50 pictures from a different intersection but none looked as cool as this one.

Here are two more shots from both sides of the crosswalk of buses. These shots are not that interesting but serve as examples of what things looked like at that time when I was there.

668868377_HyyoW-L.jpg

668868361_mFW5x-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2009
    pjames wrote:
    These are wonderful. I think #20 could be even better with a tighter crop, centered, straightened, and getting rid of the building on the right.

Love the curved building at night. NICE WORK!! SERIOUSLY!

Good tips, thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Really great pictures here! Specially those reflecting other buildings. I also like #12. : amazing and uncommon capture!

Rui<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    D300, D200, coupled with some fine Nikon glass.<o:p></o:p>

My Smugmug: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/<o:p></o:p&gt;
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/