Options

D700 buffer test -video-

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited September 14, 2009 in Cameras
The D700 is rated to hold 100 JPEG files in its buffer, but I don't know what planet this measurement is based upon. Unhappy with the smallish number of files it could hold with a Sandisk Extreme III card I bought a UDMA card. Here are videos comparing both cards. I have wasted my money I think.

UDMA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1rQIGFATW8

Extreme III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEjReiv_JHs

The UDMA card transfers a bit quicker but it's not enough to justify the cost IMO.

Let me know if you have experienced something different. I thought UDMA was the bomb but it doesn't seem much better than fast CF.

Disclaimer: I am using a USB reader, not firewire.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited September 12, 2009
    The camera buffer is what holds the files straight from the imager and image processer. The image files are then transfered from the camera buffer onto the flash memory card. The card transfer speed will not have a major impact on the number of images you can shoot in continuous mode, but it will have a minor impact in that the faster files can be cleared from the buffer, the faster you can add new images.

Double check your camera settings. I suspect that you are set to capture RAW files. The D700 buffer will hold 17 RAW files, so it seems more like what you are achieving.

The 100 JPG rating is probably images of nothing, a blank white background or black background for instance, and then optimal ISO since sensor noise is recorded as data and would result in larger file sizes, which occupy more buffer space. A "nothing" image should compress easily and to the smallest file size, resulting in the largest number of files in the buffer.

Also, you cannot learn much from manufacturer card ratings. Card transfer speeds are dependent upon many factors and are best judged empirically. Rob Galbraith has a very nice site that rates card speeds according to camera, card, JPG files and RAW files. The D700 tests are here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9550
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Double check your camera settings. I suspect that you are set to capture RAW files. The D700 buffer will hold 17 RAW files, so it seems more like what you are achieving. 0

Thanks Ziggy. The videos above are JPEG fine.
  • Options
    Check Custom Settings Menu: d:Shooting/Display, menu item 5, "Max continuous release".

Make sure it is set to 100.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Yep, set to 100.

FWIW I put it on manual focus, pointed it at a white wall and it took about 15 frames before slowing down. Same as before basically. This is with the UDMA 16GB card.
  • Options
    Maybe it's set to NEF+JPG? It sure sounds like a big files problem.

Keep looking for something like that. Stuff like this drives me crazy until I hit the "doh" moment of discovery.

The manual is located online at:

ftp://ftp.nikon-euro.com/Manuals/2UjJ8GNWcr/D700_en.pdf

On page 423 you can find a listing of how many images the buffer will hold and under what circumstances.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Maybe it's set to NEF+JPG? It sure sounds like a big files problem.

Keep looking for something like that. Stuff like this drives me crazy until I hit the "doh" moment of discovery.

The manual is located online at:

ftp://ftp.nikon-euro.com/Manuals/2UjJ8GNWcr/D700_en.pdf

On page 423 you can find a listing of how many images the buffer will hold and under what circumstances.
    \

I have never shot in RAW or NEF. This is it JPEG BASIC, low resolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Rubv3L9uc
  • Options
    ElginetPhotosElginetPhotos Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy. The videos above are JPEG fine.
    Set it to "Basic" and try it again. "FINE" is the largest resolution JPG. Then, set it to RAW and leave it. That's too good a camera to be shooting stuff at the low-res setting! thumb.gif
    Bill O'Neill - Media and Fire Photography
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    Set it to "Basic" and try it again. "FINE" is the largest resolution JPG. Then, set it to RAW and leave it. That's too good a camera to be shooting stuff at the low-res setting! thumb.gif

I think "Fine" is a compression setting, that doesn't effect resolution. The least amount of compression would suggest fastest thruoghput.

Malte
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    Malte wrote:
    I think "Fine" is a compression setting, that doesn't effect resolution. The least amount of compression would suggest fastest thruoghput.

Malte

The Fine setting on the Nikon camera is in reference to the resolution. Fine is high jpeg resolution. Set it to Basic.
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    The Fine setting on the Nikon camera is in reference to the resolution. Fine is high jpeg resolution. Set it to Basic.

Wrong. Fine, Normal, and Basic are the compression settings. Large, Medium, and Small are the resolutions.