Options

ideas for posing senior boys?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited September 16, 2009 in People
I will be shooting 2 senior boys this coming week. I think I have a good rapport with the girls, especially the ones all about the girly girl, but boys...not so much..Mom's both want a few usual portraits (all outside) but the boys have their own idea. One is a volunteer fireman and wants to be in all of his garb and be by HIS firetruck, the other is a dirt bike rider and wants those kind of pictures. Any suggestions for posing these sorts of things? And thoughts on setting for action dirt bike riding (most likely in late afternoon sun) ? I would greatly appreciate any help or examples if anybody here has done those kinds of portraits :D Enjoy your weekend!
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Is there anyone who can help out Sandy? ear.gif

(You can try to go to www.smugmug.com and search for the photos by using the searchbox top-right, but since these photos are fairly specific, I'm not sure if they are easy to find.)
  • Options
    KTLewKTLew Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    Sandy:
    I am not quite an expert, but as soon as you said fireman, this is what came to mind...
    1. Pants on jacket casually over the shoulder (I know they are heavy, but he should be able to do it) and casually leaning up against the truck
    2. Full garb on climbing into or onto the truck
    3. Head shot with helmet on

I will get back to you late today on the dirtbike one... I hope this helps a little bit!

Katie
  • Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    I don't have much experience with posed portraits of firemen but you might try this. Most firetrucks have a tailboard that would be great for seated or even reclining shots. Pants with suspenders only would have a more casual feeling.
    Most firemen would be more than happy to charge a line and you could get some shots of him spraying water.
    A shot with an axe also seems to always make the firemen calenders. Maybe across the back of his shoulders with his hands draped over it like that old shot of Bo Jackson and his baseball bat.

As I said I don't have many posed portraits but you can check out my site http://www.clix-photo.com/ for plenty of firefighters in action. It may give you some inspiration.

Wes
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    I don't shoot people much but here are just a couple of thoughts:

Fireman: Posing with the hose--someone mentioned showing him with sprays of water but I also think it would look nice to have him holding the hose, ready to spray, and shoot him from the waist up. Maybe also a shot of just his hands on the hose or the ax--with a class ring on unless he has to wear gloves. Maybe sliding down the pole, perhaps with a goofy grin or doing it upside down, just for some humor. (Don't know if that is "allowed" for senior shoots but it sounds like fun.) Maybe a shot with him sitting on a bench or on the ground--looking tired and pensive after a fire. Or a similar shot in silhouette. If you could get any of the shots with a fire in the background--maybe they have a training setup or something. I think using the truck for a background, with and without letters, would probably work well.

Dirt Biker: Dressed in his garb, sitting on his bike, holding his helmet. Kneeling by the bike, with helmet on the ground (like football player photos). Sitting on the bike in his garb, holding the bike like it's in a sharp turn. Lying on the ground with his hands and head propped on his helmet. On the bike with his bare feet propped on the handle bars--or feet with shoes if you don't want the "beefcake" type look. For fun, sitting on his bike backwards--shoot the bike from the front with him looking at you over his shoulder. On the bike with iPod in one hand and cell in the other--who can drive that way? I'd get a few with his face dirty and sweaty too--make it look real!

As I said, I don't do this but I do have an imagination--and one of my brothers used to race dirt bikes so I know what he looked like as a high school senior at that time.

Best of luck! I'd love to see what you end up with if the clients are willing to let you post any.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Anyone seen Jeff (jeffreaux) lately? ne_nau.gif :cry

Have a look at some of his old posts, he always did *such* an amazing job with his seniors.
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    For the "action" dirtbike shots, something like this would be pretty awesome:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beneath_photography/2942454794/

Of course, you probably don't want to put yourself in mortal danger, either. Is it going to be at an area where he can do jumps? I think and awesome shot would be him doing a jump with the sunset in the background, cross lit by a strobe, maybe with another strobe for a rim light.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Anyone seen Jeff (jeffreaux) lately? ne_nau.gif :cry

Have a look at some of his old posts, he always did *such* an amazing job with his seniors.

Thanks for all of the responses! Hopefully doing both shoots next week. Will post when they are done :). And I am also wondering about Jeff! He hasn't been around...getting worried :(
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    We just did some shots with some teenagers and a firetruck... had them standing on the sides, sitting inside the driver's seat, holding helmets, etc. They were dressed in simple colors, not the firefighters' regalia. I think there are a lot of options there. Also, if they pull out the firetruck for shots, there might be some interesting areas in the garage you could use... the lockers, hanging equipment, etc.

As far as the bikes go, check out the DSS 33 challenge entry ic4u - it's SOC mwink.gif

651015187_fWHSQ-M.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Thanks for all of the responses! Hopefully doing both shoots next week. Will post when they are done :). And I am also wondering about Jeff! He hasn't been around...getting worried :(

Two things to keep in mind:
    Be really careful of the idea of teenage boy/men shots with spraying fire hoses - just thinking...mwink.gif
    And while some of the dirt bike suggestions would indeed make fun photos, they are highly unlikely to produce "portraits" as you're probably not going to see the kid's face.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Kinkajou wrote:
    We just did some shots with some teenagers and a firetruck... had them standing on the sides, sitting inside the driver's seat, holding helmets, etc. They were dressed in simple colors, not the firefighters' regalia. I think there are a lot of options there. Also, if they pull out the firetruck for shots, there might be some interesting areas in the garage you could use... the lockers, hanging equipment, etc.

As far as the bikes go, check out the DSS 33 challenge entry ic4u - it's SOC mwink.gif

651015187_fWHSQ-M.jpg

Just saw this, after posting the comment below - and this beautifully makes my second point:
    Wonderful shot - but that could be anyone on the bike - in no way is it a portrait.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    bdcolen wrote:
    Just saw this, after posting the comment below - and this beautifully makes my second point:
    Wonderful shot - but that could be anyone on the bike - in no way is it a portrait.
    I don't think it matters. Of course it's essential to get some "portrait" shots where the face is the center of attention, and it's even true that those type of shots are the big sellers with the parents who are actually the ones making the purchase, BUT the fun and creative shots are, according to other senior photographers that I've read, the ones that get people in the door. The kids are often the ones that choose the photographer, and showing the really cool stuff is what sells them on you. The parents may not order prints of those, but so what, as long as you also take the photos that they do want to order. Beyond that, you'll probably also get some wallet sales out of the less traditional stuff, as those are the ones that the kids want to show off to their friends.