Options

Digital Darkroom Assignment #19

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited December 5, 2005 in Finishing School
Back to Basics - Color to Black & White

I thought for this assignment we would revisit one of our most popular topics: Color to black and white conversions. It is my hope that some of the folks who participated in this assignment before will participate again and share any new tricks that they have learned. It is also my hope that some of the folks that may not have been around before will participate this time around. So here we go!

Use the photo editing software of your choice to convert a color image to black and white. The point of this challenge is to find a method of going from color to black and white that you feel comfortable with and gets you consistent results. If you already have a favorite method for converting to black and white, try to discover a new method!

You are encouraged to post not only your final image, but also your original color image and a description of your color to black and white conversion method.

Advanced Spin: Feel free to add toning or other special effects to your image. The only requirement is that the entire image must be monochromatic. No mixing color and black and white in the final image... We'll save that for another day!

Hints/Tips:

Be sure to check out the first color to black and white assignment for ideas!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    This one was done with the ol' Channel mixer. +60% Red, +60% Green, -20% Blue

Original:
    26557376-M.jpg

B&W:
    26757637-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    clap.gif Excellent.

I usually try the Channel Mixer first. But I find it works better on landscapes than it does portraits. For portraits I've tried the Zero-Zero method. But I often find it doesn't get that sharp feeling I like. This morning I did a B&W portrait using a third method, but I can't remember the photographer's web site where I found it!

Basically, he converts the image to LAB/grayscale/gray channel/select highlights/inverse/toning/curves/high pass filter. Worked like a charm.

I'll post a before and after, and a link, when I get home tonight.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    OK, here's the before picture.

26812793-M.jpg

And here are two versions of an "after" picture. The major differences are how the Curves were done, and the duotone color.

26741842-M.jpg

26813944-M.jpg

The B&W technique is Greg Gorman's - be aware that that's a link to a PDF.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    Slight changes and a crop.

26860357-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    The B&W technique is Greg Gorman's - be aware that that's a link to a PDF.

I love that technique. Of course duotone isn't monochrome, but you can use his technique for either.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I love that technique. Of course duotone isn't monochrome, but you can use his technique for either.
    Yeah, you're right, good point.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2005
    I keep fiddling because I don't like my B&W and am not sure what to change. Here's another version - the differences are too subtle, perhaps.

26901400-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Original:
    27182631-M.jpg

Zero-Zero Method:
    27185772-M.jpg

Channel Mixer (R 50, G 10, B 40)
    27185771-M.jpg

For these conversions I wanted to darken up the grass to help the subject stand out.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I keep fiddling because I don't like my B&W and am not sure what to change. Here's another version - the differences are too subtle, perhaps.

26901400-M.jpg

I like this last one. I think her skin does best when it's a bit lighter like this, the grayer versions don't pop as much, and I think this image is all about impact of her face and eyes.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I like this last one. I think her skin does best when it's a bit lighter like this, the grayer versions don't pop as much, and I think this image is all about impact of her face and eyes.
    Thank you David, for spotting exactly what had troubled me about the shot! Yes, I was trying to make her face moe contrasty. I've since added a very slight blur to remove skin imperfections.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Original:

For these conversions I wanted to darken up the grass to help the subject stand out.

I like the second because it's.... more contrasty!

Actually, upon further review, it looks like you used two different methods to achieve an almost identical result.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    An oldie
    Original:
    27239429-M.jpg

B&W (Chanel Mixer - R 100%, G 0%, B 0%):
    27239431-M.jpg

After a little dodge & burn / Levels Adjustment:
    27239435-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Yes, definitely the second, the clouds have more shape, much more intriguing.

I'm surprised that more folks aren't interested in playing along to this challenge. It's a basic skill and we could all learn something. For example, I never, ever drop my Green to 10% the way you did - and yet it worked.
    Sid.
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    I'm not a big fan of B&W but I wanted to play anyway. I found these old style buildings at a park this weekend and thought they would look more natural as B&W. I'd like to know what you think. Too boring? More contrast?

Tried a method for B&W described here http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/DigitalDarkroom/LearningGalleries/B&WFineArt/B&WFineArt.htm

Before:

27295879-M.jpg

After cropping, initial edge sharpening, cloning out the cement and Grayscale conversion and final sharpen.

27295647-M.jpg

Regards,
    Steve
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Too boring? More contrast?

27295647-S.jpg
    Looks great clap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of B&W but I wanted to play anyway. I found these old style buildings at a park this weekend and thought they would look more natural as B&W. I'd like to know what you think. Too boring? More contrast?

Tried a method for B&W described here http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/DigitalDarkroom/LearningGalleries/B&WFineArt/B&WFineArt.htm

Before:

27295879-Th.jpg

After cropping, initial edge sharpening, cloning out the cement and Grayscale conversion and final sharpen.

27295647-Th.jpg

Regards,
    Steve

Nice work and a cool link. I'm gonna try this method this evening. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    A completely different approach!
    This technique is probably pointless on it's own, but it could be a starting point for some interesting stuff.

Starting with the color image:
    27586847-M.jpg

Add a solid color fill layer. When the color picker pops up for you to select the color of your fill layer, set the saturation to zero:
    27586824-M.jpg

When you leave the color picker, Photoshop replaces your color image with a some-shade-of-gray fill. Now go to the layers palette and change the blending mode of the fill layer to Saturation:
    27586843-M.gif

Setting a layer's blending mode to saturation causes Photoshop to take the pixels of the layer and apply their saturation to the layers below. Because our solid fill layer has zero saturation it effectively strips all the color out of the layers below it... turning the color image into B&W:
    27586852-M.jpg
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif Excellent.

I usually try the Channel Mixer first. But I find it works better on landscapes than it does portraits. For portraits I've tried the Zero-Zero method. But I often find it doesn't get that sharp feeling I like. This morning I did a B&W portrait using a third method, but I can't remember the photographer's web site where I found it!

Basically, he converts the image to LAB/grayscale/gray channel/select highlights/inverse/toning/curves/high pass filter. Worked like a charm.

I'll post a before and after, and a link, when I get home tonight.
    On top of the ZERO ZERO trick which uses two adjustment layers (both hue/saturation), I personally really like using two adjustment layers, first one hue/saturation (and for fun colorize can be on or off play with it) and then a channel mixer adjustment layer on top set to monochrome.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    I use www.imagefactory.com BW conversion3. I find it to be extremely easy to use, with many options for toning and contrast and even exposure adjusments.

Here is an oldie but one of my favorites...

Before
    20372903-M.jpg

After
    20348772-M.jpg
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    This technique is probably pointless on it's own, but it could be a starting point for some interesting stuff.

Starting with the color image:

Add a solid color fill layer. When the color picker pops up for you to select the color of your fill layer, set the saturation to zero:

When you leave the color picker, Photoshop replaces your color image with a some-shade-of-gray fill. Now go to the layers palette and change the blending mode of the fill layer to Saturation:

Setting a layer's blending mode to saturation causes Photoshop to take the pixels of the layer and apply their saturation to the layers below. Because our solid fill layer has zero saturation it effectively strips all the color out of the layers below it... turning the color image into B&W:
    Cool, it works!

But why wouldn't I just want to make a duplicate layer and then choose the "desaturate" command? They both look the same to me.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    Because you have more more control doing it other ways.
    Sid.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    Real simple. Levels and curves adjustments and "desaturate" command. A little but of "burn" on the clouds.

31580482-M.jpg

31580484-M.jpg

I also have 2 cool little plug-ins from xero called "greytinter" and "greyscaler" that work well for B&W conversions. And they're freeware to download and use! I did not use either on on this shot, though.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    That looks very nice. nod.gif

Lots and lots of ways to skin this cat.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    I have been using channel mixer with green predominant for a few months, just have never been happy with it.

I was in a hurry for a Game photo and used my old way of just taking the color out in the saturation thing, zip tint, and zip saturation.

I like it, so I used it in my thanksgiving shots which I did not want to spend a lot of time on. I know it is not "the pro's way", but I am happy with it for the moment.

I am adding a bit of black in selective colors, ala Andy's constantly saying he does that.

Also, I do work up the color to my best satisfaction first. I have not been crazy about the color from this trip. I am preferring the black and white amateur's version.

Before:

46903431-L.jpg

OK, here I am going to have to wipe Ian's nose, glad I caught it, his parents probably wouldn't have.

That is with a straight on flash. What I am not happy about for the most part is that after I make the skin the proper yellow tint, I hate it. Really should have an assistant do this stuff, or shoulda studied Marguilis. But for these, which I still have not finished, I do not want to spend much time at all, so here is my "finished" black and white.

46903536-L.jpg

That is to show off to the parents (They are my grandchildren "by" my youngest son and his wife)

This is what I would show you all (different strokes for diff folks)

46903521-L.jpg

I don't know when this thread was, but this was Thanksgiving 2005, and I worked it up 12/03/2005

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    I've been playing with a method I read about in the magazine Digital Photo Pro.

Open your image. Make a duplicate. Make the duplicate Grayscale.

Go back to your original color version. Go to Channels. Copy and paste each color channel, one at a time, to your grayscale image.

On the Grayscale, click alt-mask icon (at the bottom of the layers palette) on each new color channel layer to mask them out. Use your paintbrush (set to white) to bring back whatever portion you like.

Flatten, make RGB. Do a Hue/Sat layer to give it some toning. Do a Color Balance layer to tweak. Then play with Curves as needed.

46770231-M.jpg46768587-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    Sid, this is very similar to something that I've been doing for the last year. I start just like you do, with a layer for each RGB channel. Then I play with the blending options and opacity to get a conversion. For example, often the blue channel is pretty good for landscape foregrounds, but the red channel is better for the sky. So I might layer the red channel on top of the blue channel and use "Darken" blend mode. For portraits, often the green channel is best everywhere but eyes, which can be lighter in the blue. So use blue on top of green with "lighten" mode. At a minimum, using opacity for the three channel layers give all the power of the channel blender.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    Good tips, Rutt. For my low-light concert shots, the blue is so noisy as to be unusable, unfortunately.
    Sid.