Options

Pin Hole Fun

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 29, 2009 in Technique
As it turns out, it doesn't take much to create a pin hole camera these days

#1: A camera, a patch of tin foil and sharp pin:

631887893_3rwpu-XL.jpg

#2: My very first hole was too large and shutter was too long, hence not the best sharpness:

631887897_ph2BU-XL.jpg

#3: With ISO cranked up to 3200 and smaller hole the results improved:

631887916_4qAcw-XL.jpg

#4: ISO 25000 and 50mm Kenko tube (hence "longer focal length", much darker image, but a much better stray light control)

631925942_kjkVG-L.jpg

And if you have a video enabled body, you can make Pin Hole Movies (Warning: Heavy Accent Alert :wink )

http://nik.smugmug.com/Photography/DIY/Pin-hole-camera/9425710_pPkyi/1/#631888869_92GP7-A-LB

http://nik.smugmug.com/Photography/DIY/Pin-hole-camera/9425710_pPkyi/1/#631889259_sUJGa-A-LB

Enjoy! :thumb

The gallery is here:
http://nik.smugmug.com/Photography/DIY/Pin-hole-camera/9425710_pPky

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    Nik, what size was your pin hole?

Some folks make these out of the camera body plastic lens mount cover from the manufacturer - the black thingy that comes mounted in the lens mount of a new camera body. Just drill a small hole in the center, and you're good to go!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nik, what size was your pin hole?

Some folks make these out of the camera body plastic lens mount cover from the manufacturer - the black thingy that comes mounted in the lens mount of a new camera body. Just drill a small hole in the center, and you're good to go!

You can see it (maybe) on the first image, the pin tip points to it.
    It's really tiny, maybe 0.1mm or less.

Yeah, I know about the cover trick, but I hated to ruin a good thing, plus it would require drilling. Tin foil is SO much easier to handle and hole can be much smaller.

I'm gonna play more with the kenko set and a tripod.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    You can of course drill a bigger hole in the cover, and close it with brass or Al foil with your hole.

I wonder, can we purchase body covers from B&H, or is the only source is Canon Factory Service?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    You can of course drill a bigger hole in the cover, and close it with brass or Al foil with your hole.
    True, true...15524779-Ti.gif
    Again, I'm lazy:-)
    I wonder, can we purchase body covers from B&H, or is the only source is Canon Factory Service?
    I think you can purchase them pretty much anywhere...
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Decided to see if tripod helps:-) I does, but holes are still too big.. ne_nau.gif

#1: Overall view of a kenko-based setup:

631980986_bpXaA-XL.jpg

#2: A closeup on a ~0.1mm hole (taken with 100mm macro)

631981018_mdrwh-XL.jpg

And here are tripod based, kenko 12mm tube, liveview, ISO 100, Aperture priority samples.

#3: Bigger hole (the whole pin shaft), ~0.5mm, 0.6sec exposure:

631980955_yGSYx-XL.jpg

As you can see, very blurry. A hole is to big.

#4: Smaller hole (the very tip of the pin), ~0.1mm, 4 sec exposure:

631980978_vc4NT-XL.jpg

IMHO, much better results (altough some extra motion blur due to the windy day and 4 sec exposure)

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,819 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

You can purchase body cap/lens cap combination sets from EBay. I use lots of them for my projects.

For a pinhole it is fine to use either a body cap or an extension tube to hold the pinhole. I do recommend the following method for manual pinhole creation as you need the thinnest material and then the roundest hole possible to prevent unnecessary diffraction effects:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Pinhole/pinhole.html

Instead of brass shim stock, aluminum printing plates work well, but heavy-duty aluminum foil will work in a pinch. For blackening the hole I have used candle black, lamp black and permanent marker methods, with the permanent marker best for small holes.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You can purchase body cap/lens cap combination sets from EBay. I use lots of them for my projects.

For a pinhole it is fine to use either a body cap or an extension tube to hold the pinhole. I do recommend the following method for manual pinhole creation as you need the thinnest material and then the roundest hole possible to prevent unnecessary diffraction effects:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Pinhole/pinhole.html

Instead of brass shim stock, aluminum printing plates work well, but heavy-duty aluminum foil will work in a pinch. For blackening the hole I have used candle black, lamp black and permanent marker methods, with the permanent marker best for small holes.

Good info, Ziggy, thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I don't have time to watch them right now, but the pin hole movies sound awesome.

I so just lost a couple hours of my Saturday by reading this thread. Can't wait to try it.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • Options
    BradJudyBradJudy Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    I do pinhole work on film - these are very nice given the basic hole setup.

Good home made holes require practice and super-thin materials (the thickness of the material should be no more than 1/10 the hole diameter). I made some for myself, then switched to electron microscope grids, which are 3mm diameter super-thin copper disks with precise holes (I have some in both 0.15mm and 0.3mm). They cost something like $25 for 100. I drill a hole in a piece of aluminum flashing and glue the disks to that for mounting. You can also get nicer, mounted pinholes made for optics works from places like Edmunds.

Or, you could just get a Skink pinhole cap for your camera from eBay (they sell them for several different lens mounts) - http://cgi.ebay.com/Skink-Pinhole-Pancake-for-Canon-450D-400D-40D-XTi-XSi_W0QQitemZ380143986938QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item588258e8fa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,819 moderator
    edited August 27, 2009
    BradJudy, I never even thought about a TEM aperture but that makes a lot of sense. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    So if you use the non-stick, heavy duty tin foil and put a red ring on it would it be a "L" lens? rolleyes1.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2009
    Wachel wrote:
    So if you use the non-stick, heavy duty tin foil and put a red ring on it would it be a "L" lens? rolleyes1.gif
    Laughing.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
    thumb.gif