Options

First Time Softbox User

mnez17mnez17 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 27, 2009 in People
First time utilizing a monolight and softbox (20x2icon_cool.gif with foam board reflector. Looking for comments, not relative to composition but lighting of the subject. I plan on using a background or hair light next time. Also, could be me but do his eyes look slightly out of focus ?

JDAWG-1.jpg
Canon 1D Mark III|Canon 40D| Canon 350D| Opteka Battery Grip| 430EX| EF 85mm f/1.8 USM| EF 70-200mm 2.8L USM|EF 300 2.8L IS|EFS 17-55mm IS USM f2.8|Kenko 1.4X

A.L. Sports Photography
Sports Shooter
MaxPreps

Comments

• Options
    whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Not bad for a first attempt.

To start with, this is a really soft light to use on a man.

Try moving the light a little more camera left and a little higher. The light's hitting him a little too dead on, and could use some more drama.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Not bad for a first try. Remember a soft box should be out front. The back edge should be at his side with the rest coming forward. Instead of putting your reclector close to home directly oposite bring the reflector toward you and aim the bounced light to him. Just rules of thumb.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Ok, kinda new to studio lighting. I've been looking at the Westcott 28" softbox, so I thought I'd pose a question. Would it work (with good results) if mnez17 had the softbox above and tilting down onto the subject, with the subject holding the reflector on his lap to bounce light back up to his face?
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Marikris, first of all you should get the largest softbox you can afford. At least a 3x4. The bigger the light the softer it is. Also get it as close to the subject as possible without getting it in the frame. I would think the card on the subjects lap would only direct the light up under their chin and not into the shadow side of the face.
  • Options
    whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Marikris, the lighting style you are talking about is called clamshell lighting. Here's the first thing google turned up on the subject.

I sometimes do this for headshots when the group is all or mostly girls/ladies. It's a good way to run people through a line and know that you're going to have great lighting on everyone regardless of age.

Oh and while I wouldn't say it's a permanent rule, if it's your first/only one and you have enough light to put through it, I second Charles on the bigger is better approach to softboxes.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    A highlight would definitely be good to bring a little definition into the back of the head.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Not too bad but you lit him with short lighting which is more feminine in my opinion, thins out the face which is good for chubby women like me but broad lighting works well to give a more masculine look. You would just turn him the other way so that the light hit the side of the face towards the camera. The reflector could be on the right at a 45 degree angle to fill in some of the shadow and obtain a loop lighting. I definitely would have liked some light on the back or hair too for definition. I also use a large softbox in close.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!