Options

Shooting Wedding (Outside) - Polariser?

robigoukrobigouk Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited August 22, 2009 in Weddings
Hi

I'm shooting a wedding this weekend and the grounds of the venue are lovely, so most shots will be outdoor in the gardens, near trees, sat on benches etc. etc.

Should I use a polariser/polarizer whilst shooting outside?

Any thoughts welcome!

cheers

Rob

Comments

• Options
    MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I would say a big yes. thumb.gif
    the only time to not use is when completely overcast - dark day's.

Using a polarizer or ND will allow you to shoot with narrow DOF and still use a fill flash to get separation.

You can actual stack an ND followed by polarizer if you want to adjust w/ polarizer.

just my 2 cents.....

Later,
    Mark
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    robigouk wrote:
    Hi

I'm shooting a wedding this weekend and the grounds of the venue are lovely, so most shots will be outdoor in the gardens, near trees, sat on benches etc. etc.

Should I use a polariser/polarizer whilst shooting outside?

Any thoughts welcome!

cheers

Rob

It won't hurt but I don't think it is neccessary at all.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    It won't hurt but I don't think it is neccessary at all.

That's my opinion too. I personally don't shoot with filters. I'm a hoods on filters off girl.
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Yeah. Either way.

You could get a nicer blue sky straight out of the camera, but if you're shooting a wedding, you might be shooting wedding parties. And if you're shooting wedding parties, you might be going wide, and if you go wide enough, a polarizer can make the sky look funky, in a bad way.

But maybe. And you'd have to be really wide.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Maybe its me, but I don't have tons of time to mess with filters.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    That's my opinion too. I personally don't shoot with filters. I'm a hoods on filters off girl.

15524779-Ti.gif
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    This was discussed recently, shooting in bright sunlight and how to reduce the harsh, boring-ness of the day. I posted these two examples of what polarization can do. These two RAW images received the EXACT same processing, I kid you not.

588990679_94mmg-O.jpg

588990807_G4DBp-O.jpg

I noticed that many people have stated that they never use polarizers, or special filters in general, either because they just don't have the time or because the desired effects aren't critical to their images.

Personally I have to say that coming from a background in landscape photography, I cannot imagine putting ANY LESS effort into my images. Yes, it takes a few seconds to put the filter on, but if you're shooting near water or big sky, or if you need super shallow DOF in bright light, you really ought to go the extra mile for your clients.

Just my opinionated opinion, of course!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    This was discussed recently, shooting in bright sunlight and how to reduce the harsh, boring-ness of the day. I posted these two examples of what polarization can do. These two RAW images received the EXACT same processing, I kid you not.

588990679_94mmg-O.jpg

588990807_G4DBp-O.jpg

I noticed that many people have stated that they never use polarizers, or special filters in general, either because they just don't have the time or because the desired effects aren't critical to their images.

Personally I have to say that coming from a background in landscape photography, I cannot imagine putting ANY LESS effort into my images. Yes, it takes a few seconds to put the filter on, but if you're shooting near water or big sky, or if you need super shallow DOF in bright light, you really ought to go the extra mile for your clients.

Just my opinionated opinion, of course!
    =Matt=

interesting..just to be sure...the 2nd shot has the polarizer correct?

Also if you have second..could you PP expose the 1st shot to match the exposure in the 2nd shot on say the lit trees? I want to see if there is difference in contrast between the shaded regions with similar exposure for the foreground. It apeears teh skies are matched in your examples. I am no where near my editing mac atm.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    A polarizer is very appropriate in the situation Matt showed. A static shot. For when things start moving quickly, I would skip it. You could always underexpose the ambient by a stop and compensate for the subject with fill. Underexposure saturates color, so that would emulate some of the effects of a polarizer.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    A polarizer is very appropriate in the situation Matt showed. A static shot. For when things start moving quickly, I would skip it. You could always underexpose the ambient by a stop and compensate for the subject with fill. Underexposure saturates color, so that would emulate some of the effects of a polarizer.

if you underexpose a bit then the shadow regions get darker. Expose for shadows and the lit areas get shifted. I am wondering if the polarizer will in effect reduce the light from the lit areas slightly more then from the shadow areas. This gives you slight "fill light" efect.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    interesting..just to be sure...the 2nd shot has the polarizer correct?

Also if you have second..could you PP expose the 1st shot to match the exposure in the 2nd shot on say the lit trees? I want to see if there is difference in contrast between the shaded regions with similar exposure for the foreground. It apeears teh skies are matched in your examples. I am no where near my editing mac atm.
    I get what you're saying- The polarization darkens the sky, which allows you to use a brighter exposure overall, which lets you see into the shadows more. But no, I don't have the original RAW file on me right now.

For me the bottom line is back-end workflow. I just can't afford to spend more than 0-10 seconds on each image I deliver to a bride and groom, so even if the effects of a polarizer are reproducible in photoshop with fancy highlight / shadow work, I'm not gonna make the time for it...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    harvey3harvey3 Banned Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    make yourself ready.. bring everything you think necessary for this kind of shooting... I believe in actual samples.. above advices are good!

cheers!