• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 53  of  144
Old Dec-18-2010, 12:59 PM
travischance is offline travischance
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisegoldberg View Post
The random photo set on your home page contains too many images to be an effective entry to your site. I find it confuses the eye, not giving me a clear place to focus.

On your galleries page, I'd recommend removing the bright gray curved lines. The background is subtle enough to not get in the way, but the curved lines? They draw the eye away from your photo galleries.

On your about me page I find that white text on a light gray background is difficult to read.

--- Denise
that the curved lines are very distracting.
Maybe you could still keep your multiple image splash image but narrow it down to say, 4 or so. People, Landscapes, Architecture & Still Life maybe. Considering that your current splash image has multiples of all of these.
Old Dec-18-2010, 01:00 PM
denisegoldberg is online now denisegoldberg
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by travischance View Post
Try adding this to your customer footer section of the Advanced Site Customization:

<center><div id="my_footer">All images contained here are the property of Joe LaRusso Photo. No duplications or unauthorized use allowed. Joe LaRusso Photo, joelarussophoto@verizon.net, 917.887.7551. 2007-2010</div>
That's a sure way to attract spambots. If you want to place an email address on your site, try the method shown in the thread
Stop Junkmail/Spam!!!

--- Denise

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Old Dec-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Major grins
Quote:
That's a sure way to attract spambots. If you want to place an email address on your site, try the method shown in the thread
Stop Junkmail/Spam!!!

--- Denise
I'd previously mentioned this to the poster. I only copied his current footer and used the script above.
Old Dec-18-2010, 01:12 PM
namebrandon is offline namebrandon
Big grins
Finally got my pro site up and running! I'm on layout #2, after some good feedback here and at another forum. I'm really amazed at how easy SmugMug is making customization..!

Brandon Harris Photography
Old Dec-18-2010, 01:56 PM
W.W. Webster is offline W.W. Webster
EOS, therefore I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
Finally got my pro site up and running!
Wow - 2011 copyright! That's a site that's really ahead of its time!
Old Dec-18-2010, 02:16 PM
rvazquez is offline rvazquez
Beginner grinner
Hello Smuggers,

I am fairly new to SmugMug and have worked hard on my website www.ralphvazquezphotography.com . I have enjoyed browsing through many users sites. I too would appreciate some professional feedback. thanks

ralph
www.ralphvazquezphotography.com
Old Dec-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Webster View Post
Wow - 2011 copyright! That's a site that's really ahead of its time!
Well, I figure since I was editing it, might as well save me the few steps since we only have ~13 days left ;)
Old Dec-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvazquez View Post
Hello Smuggers,

I am fairly new to SmugMug and have worked hard on my website www.ralphvazquezphotography.com . I have enjoyed browsing through many users sites. I too would appreciate some professional feedback. thanks

ralph
www.ralphvazquezphotography.com
  1. What are the width parameters set to on your page? You have a significant amount of "dead space" on the right side of your page (see screen shot below).
  2. Why is your "Galleries" page header a different color than your homepage? This doesn't flow well.
  3. Why don't you have your header on your "About Me" page? This makes your site pages inconsistent.
  4. Your navbar entries would probably look better centered on the page & without the black shading considering that your page is gray.
  5. Your navbar entry "home" really doesn't serve much of a purpose since your home screen only has the 4 images posted. As a visitor, I really wouldn't have a need for visiting your home screen. If you had a slideshow or something else there, it would make more sense.
  6. I think your navbar would seem more integrated if it were moved into the empty space just above it on your homepage splash image.

Old Dec-19-2010, 03:37 AM
alexanderkok is offline alexanderkok
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikin' Mike View Post
Your home page and your Galleries page look the same.

Yes you're right, I so obvious that I never realized it. I like to have multiple images on the front page. I think I'll try to stretch the front page to the size of the user's monitor, and change the color scheme for the front page. Perhaps that will look better.
Old Dec-19-2010, 03:41 AM
Beginner grinner
Quote:
The random photo set on your home page contains too many images to be an effective entry to your site. I find it confuses the eye, not giving me a clear place to focus.

On your galleries page, I'd recommend removing the bright gray curved lines. The background is subtle enough to not get in the way, but the curved lines? They draw the eye away from your photo galleries.

On your about me page I find that white text on a light gray background is difficult to read.

--- Denise
Thanks Dennis! Yes I think I'll try some different schemes. It's indeed too crowded. The reason why I have multiple photos there is that I believe people are always in a rush and won't take the proper time to wait for a slideshow. These photos are a portal into the site, since I didn't find the top menu very obvious. I'm going to try a few other approaches.
Old Dec-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by travischance View Post
that the curved lines are very distracting.
Maybe you could still keep your multiple image splash image but narrow it down to say, 4 or so. People, Landscapes, Architecture & Still Life maybe. Considering that your current splash image has multiples of all of these.
Thanks Travis! You're right. I'll remove those lines. Perhaps I'll make it just blank or with soft texture.
I'll give the front page more thought, and reduce the clutter.

photos.alexanderkok.com
Old Dec-19-2010, 08:02 PM
gmjphotos is offline gmjphotos
GMJ
Travis -

absolutely love your site setup!
It's definitely something I'd consider doing before going completely custom.

Any chance of you starting another thread with a walk through as to how you set it up?

Mike
Old Dec-20-2010, 02:54 AM
corbosman is offline corbosman
underwater kungfu
I use my site a little differently. I try to integrate it into my wordpress based site.

http://uwimages.smugmug.com/

Only the 'Galleries' link leads to smugmug. I try to keep things minimalistic as i dont like a busy web page. Ive removed a lot of stuff and moved UI elements around to fit my site better.
Old Dec-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbosman View Post
I use my site a little differently. I try to integrate it into my wordpress based site.

http://uwimages.smugmug.com/

Only the 'Galleries' link leads to smugmug. I try to keep things minimalistic as i dont like a busy web page. Ive removed a lot of stuff and moved UI elements around to fit my site better.
It integrates nicely! You've got some amazing images on there, very impressive!
Old Dec-20-2010, 09:09 PM
thedonjon is offline thedonjon
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
Finally got my pro site up and running! I'm on layout #2, after some good feedback here and at another forum. I'm really amazed at how easy SmugMug is making customization..!

Brandon Harris Photography
Hi Brandon - I am getting so frustrated . . . maybe because I'm a little on the other side of the hill - but since I upgraded to pro I cannot figure out how to customize. It doesn't seem very user friendly to me at all. (For instance, wix.com makes everything almost drag and drop.)
I love the simplicity of your site and that is all I am wanting! I've looked at the tutorials and they feel so complicated to me. I want to stay with smugmug because of the great ability to sell prints.
Can you take a look at my site and give me any ideas? I just want it simple like yours, with tabs at the top that go to other pages.
Thanks, Donna
http://photo-art.smugmug.com
Old Dec-20-2010, 10:37 PM
gmjphotos is offline gmjphotos
GMJ
I'm in the same boat, Donna. It's incredibly frustrating.

For some reason, after setting up wordpress & joomla sites, the smugmug setup is something I can't seem to figure out.
Either it's the naming conventions that don't click with me, or there's something else that's just purely counter-intuitive. Yet, thousands of users with fantastic looking sites are a pretty good argument that it actually DOES work as intended.

I'm a bit at a loss here myself. Short of knowing my way around code (CSS/Java, etc), I'm not sure where this is gonna go for me.

In all reality, www.gmjphotos.com presently looks like dung - with limited images uploaded to figure the whole SM thing out...
I'd like to get something decent together like: http://www.gwagdesigns.com/ or www.travischancephotography.com

Although there are help threads like this one: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52812 - i'm not getting anywhere.

Can any one of the owners with their great sites - see above - post a tutorial with images and explanations? I know, it's asking for much...

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old Dec-21-2010, 01:48 AM
corbosman is offline corbosman
underwater kungfu
I think your best bet would be to hire or find someone with the necessary skillset. Most of the really nice and different smugmug sites you see require significant CSS knowledge and in a lot of cases quite a bit of javascript is involved. Smugmug gives you all of the tools to make a really standout site, but you gotta know how to use them.
Old Dec-21-2010, 04:46 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonjon View Post
Hi Brandon - I am getting so frustrated . . . maybe because I'm a little on the other side of the hill - but since I upgraded to pro I cannot figure out how to customize. It doesn't seem very user friendly to me at all. (For instance, wix.com makes everything almost drag and drop.)
I love the simplicity of your site and that is all I am wanting! I've looked at the tutorials and they feel so complicated to me. I want to stay with smugmug because of the great ability to sell prints.
Can you take a look at my site and give me any ideas? I just want it simple like yours, with tabs at the top that go to other pages.
Thanks, Donna
Have you (1) reviewed the existing threads that outline how to customize your site, (2) have you posted specific requests for support in the Customization forum here at Dgrin & (3) have you searched using the "search" key above? Knowledge of CSS or HTML is not a requirement to customize your site. See below:

Customization FAQ
Customization for Dummies
Advanced Customization FAQ
Andy's How To
Contact Me Form
Guestbook
Gallery Settings
HTML Color Codes
iPhone | Droid Script
Javascript Customizations
Stretchy Slideshow
Stretchy Slideshow 2
Vanity URL's

If all else fails, you could pay someone like Wolfsnap Designs to do this for you. I think everything you need is above truthfully. If you get stuck, there are several other Muggers that will offer assistance!!!
Old Dec-21-2010, 04:50 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbosman View Post
I think your best bet would be to hire or find someone with the necessary skillset. Most of the really nice and different smugmug sites you see require significant CSS knowledge and in a lot of cases quite a bit of javascript is involved. Smugmug gives you all of the tools to make a really standout site, but you gotta know how to use them.
Knowledge of CSS & HTML is not necessary! There are a ton of dynamic SmugMug sites that were designed by individuals that did not have knowledge of the above (including myself). While I'm not saying that my site has a huge wow factor, I do believe its simplicity presents well.

All that is needed is the vision for what one wants there site to look like & a little bit of time. Searching for & requesting support for specific changes is very possible in the Customization forum.
Old Dec-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonjon View Post
Thanks, Donna
Hey Donna!! Thanks for the kind words! There's not too much I can add to Travis' very informative posts, but maybe I can help give you a higher-level overview of what I did so that you can research the concepts and apply them to your site..

Main Page - I wanted a very simple front page, no galleries, nothing distracting, but still wanted a bit of my work rather than a standard logo (which I tried, and didn't like). That why I chose the slideshow (tutorial available). That pulls images from an album/gallery I chose.

The header banner was created in photoshop, and was set up in the easy-customizer. I just choose the image as my banner, uploaded it, and centered it.

The navigation links are custom, but you can do something similar in the easy-customizer, just look into the navigation section. If you'd like them at the bottom like I have, you can search the forums for custom navbar, or custom navigation. It involves putting about 7-8 lines of code in your custom footer box.

All said and done, smugmug has made things extremely easy to customize. The hardest thing I had to grasp was that HTML for my main page went into my "Bio" box.. I kept looking for a place to throw HTML code in the advanced customizer page, but it was supposed to go into the "Bio" description.

My approach to customization was to get the general idea/concept of the layout I wanted. I then started searching the forums for how to do each individual piece (slideshow, navbar, etc..). Once the slideshow was in place, then I worked on the navbar.. when that was done I worked on the header, etc..

Hope that helps a little bit, feel free to ask any specifics and I can try and help out.