Options

Tips for taking senior portraits

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited June 30, 2005 in People
Well, as some of you know, I was at summer camp last week and fun taking pictures and creating the final slide show for camp.

One of the campers moms was working at the camp and asked me if I would shoot their sons senior pics. They are long lost friends I knew 15 years ago.

Their son is a state champion golfer. He wants his senior pics to be taken on the golf course.

Any suggestions on: Filters, flashes, poses, film or digital, iso, etc... Anything to help me get this right.

I know many of you have seen some of the pictures I have posted. Be honest and tell me to "run away from this one." Or, "give it a shot."

I am still trying to organize my smugmug account, however, some of my pics are there if you would like to see them.

http://johno.smugmug.com

Thanks.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Wenatchee has a golf course?

g

(Just make the kid look good, you could ask to see the year book from the year before. It used to be that outdoor shots were all the thing. Bill, working for a studio, does them in a studio with pre set lighting. The prices are terrible, no one should spend that for photos. But they are a big deal to the kids. I refused, Sara had hers printed from proofs. Poor people pay hundreds of dollars, it is obscene!

The kid wants to look good, whatever they consider looking good, probably looking like everyone else.)

I wouldn't sweat it, and to be honest, I don't remember your portraits. Use a doorway or a tree as a frame and shoot. That is the simplist (sp?), there are portrait people here. Thomas, for one...................
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    I'm actually taking my own senior pictures, so I've been experimenting a lot. I would say that digital is the way to go, considering all the on hands settings, etc.

Never use flash for portraits. It brings out imperfections... it's good you are using natural light because it can be a pain doing it indoors, like I'm doing.
    If it does every get darker, or if you are in sketchy lighting, use the tungsten setting if you have it... I find that it works really well if you do any editing to the photograph, which I'm asuming you will.

Hmm... what else would you like to know? I don't know about poses... Is he going to have his golf clubs in the picture with him? Do you know more about what he wants? Just make sure that you don't take pictures too far away, or else when his picture is posted in the yearbook, he will be indiscernable.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    i'm going to beg my good friend and fantastic portrait photographer jim fuglestad to come over and help with this question deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Thanks Andy. :D
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    my suggestions:

1) have a blast - so, for the golf course, try to do it late in the day (favorable lighting) or anytime during a medium-bright overcast day. avoid bright sunshine from 10am to 4pm or so...

2) use external, off-camera fill flash - practice on some willing subjects first to know how your camera behaves with this

3) if you can have an assistant, then get a reflector and use it.

4) poses: waiting on the first tee; standing on the signature hole with his driver in hand; lining up a putt, head-on; various fun shots use your imagination

5) subject - make sure he's freshly groomed, shaved, etc. try some chapstick. shouldn't need any makeup or anything like that.

6) check your gear out, and have a spare camera in case your primary crashes.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Wenatchee has a golf course?

g

(Just make the kid look good, you could ask to see the year book from the year before. It used to be that outdoor shots were all the thing. Bill, working for a studio, does them in a studio with pre set lighting. The prices are terrible, no one should spend that for photos. But they are a big deal to the kids. I refused, Sara had hers printed from proofs. Poor people pay hundreds of dollars, it is obscene!

The kid wants to look good, whatever they consider looking good, probably looking like everyone else.)

I wouldn't sweat it, and to be honest, I don't remember your portraits. Use a doorway or a tree as a frame and shoot. That is the simplist (sp?), there are portrait people here. Thomas, for one...................

Thanks G. And yes, Wenatchee has a golf course... As a matter of fact a new course, the Highlander, was finished last year and is only 3 miles from my home. clap.gif

Anyhow, the kid lives in the Tri-Cities which is SE from me.

Your right. Make em look good.

I know many people are dishing out tons of money for senior pic. One sites digital package was $250 for one hour of work and no proofs. All on CD. You buy your own prints.

I don't know if I should feel bad for someone who chooses to pay that much for pictures. I don't know. It's not my full time job.

It sounds fun and stressfull, however, I can't think it is as stressfull as wedding shoots.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    purified wrote:
    Just make sure that you don't take pictures too far away, or else when his picture is posted in the yearbook, he will be indiscernable.

Actually, You need to find out if a yearbook shot is required. Many times the yearbook shot is taken by a studio that has a contract with the school. Senior pictures for gifts and graduation announcments etc are a different thing.

If you are required to do the yearbook picture you MUST contact the school and get thier spec.

It will be something like. Head and shoulders shot 2 5/8 by 3 1/2 with a head to chin measurement of 1 5/8. Background must be grey studio backdrop, etc.

If you do not have the ability to get this shot, make sure the parents are aware. If you do have the setup/equip for this shot do NOT make the mistake of shooting in tight. If you do you will find your shot is not wide enough side to side to achive the head to chin dimension. Shoot farther out, adjust the head size to the spec and crop the photo to fit.

Meet with the young man ahead of time so that you have a plan and know what shots you want to get. Typically young men tire of the photo sessions quickly and would rather be doing something else. Young women are easier. They shift into model mode and have a lot of fun.

If you are shooting outside, be careful of the backgrounds, if they are in brighter light than your subject you will have trouble getting shots you like. Fill flash can help (and it puts that nice light in their eyes). If you use flash, keep it above the camera. Using a stroboframe (or equal) flash bracket will help with this as you will be shooting most shots verticle.

Avoid having him pose in bright sunlight that will cause him to squint. The eyes are everything. Look for a book or two on posing, look for "masculine poses.

Dont be afraid to experiment and try some fun shots.

Have a good time and shoot A LOT. You will have some great stuff and he and his parents will be happy.

Have fun.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Another thing, Laughing.gif...

Make sure he brings more than one set of clothes (a different shirt at least) tell him to avoid stripes and prints, solid colors are often best.

If you do not tell him this, he will only bring one shirt, his favorite, and it will clash with every background and setting you have.

Tell him to bring a comb.

Also give some thought to how much retouching you are willing to do. Young women work hard to keep acne to a min, and cover up what they do have with make up. Young men do NOT.

Often, post work on the senior pics for a guy take at least twice as long as for a gal.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    this is a great thread.. some super advice. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results.thumb.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Tell him to bring a comb.
    Great advice Greap but let me add onto it alittle bit.

There is a great little trick that I used when I had my senior pictures taken, and would recommend to any guy who is having senior pictures done. Well that I would recommend to any guy who wants to look good at any time for any reason.

If he has a GirlFriend have her help out, if he is single he needs to get a good friend who is a female to help out. This helping out includes wardrobe advide, as well as being there as it will make him more comfortable (usually) and she can help take care of getting the cloths to look right, etc.

Unless he is a metro-sexual, then no worries. :D
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hi all
    andy wrote:
    i'm going to beg my good friend and fantastic portrait photographer jim fuglestad to come over and help with this question deal.gif
    Hi Andy, et al, long time no talk, Andy! Man, I think it's been since April!

Anyway, I don't do a lot of senior shoots, but ironically I was doing my first in over a year last night when you sent the email.

I find seniors to be some of the most difficult subjects to shoot. They almost always are very self-conscious about being in front of the camera. I probably don't help the matters in that I don't give much direction, so they basically just stand there and have their picture taken. Every sr. session I've ever done has always started out uncomfortable, but the more we work, the more relaxed everyone becomes.

I NEVER specifically pose the subjects. I may say "lay down over there and be comfortable", but I don't say "Lay down over there and put your hand here and your head there, etc...". In last night's shoot she would ask "Where should I put my hands?"... I would reply "Stand how you normally would in a way that would be comfortable to you. Don't worry about making the perfect senior pose, make it look like you."

If I knew my subject was a golfer, I'd likely ask when his next early morning round was going to be and ask that I join him for a few holes. Get there a bit early and walk around the course/clubhouse a bit, then go on a few holes with him. I'd take some swinging shots from behind... some strolling down the fairway... some more formal shots waiting to tee off... etc. If he's comfortable at a golf course, then I'd shoot him at the golf course.

Regarding schools having contracts with photographers - patooey. Schools may have contract with photographers, but you ARE NOT REQUIRED to use them for your yearbook photo. I believe that's illegal in most (if not all) states.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to let them be themselves. Have them bring a friend or two along so he's more comfortable. They can also help to make him smile/laugh by just talking to him about everyday stuff. I also talk about everyday stuff with the clients while I'm shooting them. Ask them about their after high school plans, summer plans, hobbies, etc... this can make it more difficult because you don't want to catch them talking, but the talking is always intermixed with natural pauses, smiles, and laughter. You need to be able to talk with the camera at the ready, so it can be a bit tricky, but it's a pretty solid approach.

Here are a few examples from my senior shoot from last night... hope this helps a bit.

45427631.jpg

45427636.jpg

45427637.jpg

45427641.jpg
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Regarding schools having contracts with photographers - patooey. Schools may have contract with photographers, but you ARE NOT REQUIRED to use them for your yearbook photo. I believe that's illegal in most (if not all) states.

Being legal or not has never stopped a government agency around here, maybe it's different where you live.

I know some schools here hire a photographer to go to the school and shoot all of the students, and that is the picture they use. If they dont take your picture, it aint in the book.
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Being legal or not has never stopped a government agency around here, maybe it's different where you live.

I know some schools here hire a photographer to go to the school and shoot all of the students, and that is the picture they use. If they dont take your picture, it aint in the book.
    All I'm saying is you have the right to refuse that photo and provide your own photo. That would be true about anywhere, including Ohio, I imagine.
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    micknewton wrote:
    ...mick's pics and quote...

mick, i'd like you to cite the source please... that's a lot of great material but it's unfair to the creator to post all of that without attribution... thanks very much!
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hi Andy, et al, long time no talk, Andy! Man, I think it's been since April!

jim, you rawk thumb.gif thanks for coming by and imparting your experience to the forum....

btw you should check out the news / events forum here, we're going to bryce/zion national parks next may and we'd love to have you along deal.gif
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    mick, i'd like you to cite the source please... that's a lot of great material but it's unfair to the creator to post all of that without attribution... thanks very much!
    Sorry, but I can't do that. That text is used verbatim on several photographer's web sites, and probably lots of other places as well. Who would I give the credit to? I'll just remove it from my post, okay?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    andy wrote:

Andy, I did a word search on google and found several sites that stated, verbatim, what mick put in his post.

http://www.schultzportraits.com/seniortips.html
    http://www.elegantchildstudio.com/seniors/sessions-1.htm
    http://www.studioxs.com/tips.html
    http://www.esteemphoto.com/FAQ.html

Either everyone is in the same bed or someones has been taken advantage of.

Peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    micknewton wrote:
    Sorry, but I can't do that. That text is used verbatim on several photographer's web sites, and probably lots of other places as well. Who would I give the credit to? I'll just remove it from my post, okay?

Mick, thanks for the help on this. Can you give me the web site you got your info on?

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Jim, I love the photos from your senior shoot. What can I say? You have a gift, you tell the kid nothing: I don't either.......but I am not shooting to a specification.

But in the baptism shots, no real pressure there, but I have learned over time to give some direction. They usually know what to do with their hands, but I have to make sure they are not standing where the candle will grow out of their heads, I can't move or I get bad things. I just give the direction I want. As in "closer together", or could you two trade places". Otherwise with other people I hate posed shots, won't shoot them.

But my husband, who makes his meager living at this, he poses his "kids". The company tells the photographers how to do it. There is something called a feminine head tilt, and there is a masculine one. When my husband does this posing of himself with me I hate it and won't take the picture.

He brought home some test shots where he was the subject. I looked at them and said, "you did it, didn't you, and they took it", I will not look at those photos again. He does not pose himself well. However he does get good studio shots by posing me. In positions that feel most un natural.
    What interested me is the talk about the contracts, I will have to ask Bill about that when he gets home tonight.

Whoever suggested calling the school, I think that is a very good idea. I would not want my child in the year book, and year books are a very big deal, I do agree with year books, not the photos sold individually, but year books are wriitten in and cherished years later.

Anyway, if everyone else is a head shot, I would not want a full body shot with golf clubs. I have seen those in year books, they don't look good, they look out of place.

However, they are great photographs, I am sure.

So, I would do both. Take both kinds of pictures. Right there on the golf course, or where ever, you can take both types of photos.

If he has changes of shirts, good idea, and you take a variety of shots, you are covered, everyone is happy, etc.

Also, there might well be a contract.............I don't know the law/rule on that. There definitely is a contract involved with the schools who Bill's company works with. I don't know how restrictive it is. I would find out, in your case.

ginger

I have photos of bill shooting a senior shoot, however I couldn't find them the last time I answered this thread and they are not what you would want to do anyway. A big camera, a gazillion lights, etc. I will say that the kid was only wearing shorts, with a nice shirt and jacket. So they were all close to head shots. There were even ugly glamour boas for the girls. The company is hoping to make lots of money. A photo in the year book is free.

And it is an upper body shot.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.