615170265_sr5XQ-XL.jpg

618409196_FyBds-XL.jpg

Comments are always appreciated. Thanks for lookin' :thumb
-joel

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 12, 2009
    I like the poses, the setting (can't go wrong with RR :D). Your model is obviously comfortable in front of the camera and that shows in these shots. About the only thing I'm not so happy with is the tats--but that's my personal bias and shouldn't take away from the images.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    ok, these are just my instant opinions, and not being a pro, take them with a grain of salt....
    you didn't really ask or not ask for opinions/cc, but your images interested me. So if you are only sharing I'm happy to remove my comments. :)

Her hand pose looks as if she may be in pain somehow. It's a bit stiff and uncomfortable looking for the setting.

Nice shot, lighting seems a bit harsh on her chest.

The focus seems to be on the ink on her right arm rather than her face. Also (maybe photoshop the bit of stuble under the arm) ne_nau.gif

very pretty (except for above noted photoshopping)

I like it

I don't personally care for her hand position, but 'eh I'm not always liking what the masses do. :D

again hand position doesn't work for me

CLEAR WINNER OF THE SET IN MY MIND!!! I love it! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Pretty model, nice location, good poses but cannot get past the tattoos either. They just seem to distract from the overall shot as my eyes are drawn to them instead of her face and overall. Just cannot get by that. Sorry.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Nice series with your model. My 2-cents:

1 & 3 are nice, but for me when there is a really strong light on a spot of the face, the rest of faces feels off. It may be just me.

Like the hair movement in 2. Is the light you or setting sun? Here the highlight wasn't as much, so the face worked for me. Maybe a little dark.

Liking 4&5. Letting the light trail off is a nice effect.

Like the light in 6&7, but the position really doesn't work for me either.

Like 8 a lot.thumb.gif Her angle parallels the valley, the light looks good. Best of the bunch IMO.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    You're having way too much fun Joel.

That last shot does it for me clap.gif

Dan
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    Folks, thanks for all the constructive comments and feedback. thumb.gif

Here are my comments based on the ones above.

* Hand positions - yeah, we need to work on those.

* Harsh light on camera-right on some shots - true, we were working with the setting sun on that side. Light was balanced by two speedlights placed to the left of the model. The shots came out as I intended. I could have used a diffuser to soften the light but chose not to as the alpenglow helped bring out the red highlights in her hair. Still, I may try the diffuser next time I do this for comparison based on ya'lls inputs.

* Tatoos - well, they are what they are. Nobody besides me sees any intrique or mystery in such an elegant woman with such elaborate body art? ne_nau.gif Well, there's no accounting for taste I guess. :giggle I do find them attractive, but having had the pleasure of spending the time with the woman, I may be seeing them differently. Everything else being equal, this is definitely a model I'd shoot with again.

Thanks again for all the feedback and please keep it coming!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    Joel,

There clearly is a generation gap about tattoos. I see it in my own family. I always wonder how they will look after the passage of 25 years. A matter of perspective, I suspect, or it could be envy also.

She is a striking woman, and you captured her best in the final image.

I really like the warm, reflected red light from the rock and its interaction with her shoulder and the tattoos thereon. Maybe a little less sky in that one and it would be dynomite!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MaxxamillianMaxxamillian Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Try isolating the tattoos--the model is already beautiful. Do this right and you will be able to showcase both in a more artistic way. I just did this with a recent shot and it turned out being alot of fun....
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:

* Tatoos - well, they are what they are. Nobody besides me sees any intrique or mystery in such an elegant woman with such elaborate body art? ne_nau.gif Well, there's no accounting for taste I guess. :giggle I do find them attractive, but having had the pleasure of spending the time with the woman, I may be seeing them differently. Everything else being equal, this is definitely a model I'd shoot with again.

Thanks again for all the feedback and please keep it coming!

Cheers,
    -joel

I myself have ink! I find tattoos very interesting, as I've got another in the works. My only thing was that the dress didn't seem to fit the setting. The ink and the setting however......slammin' choice!!
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Joel,

There clearly is a generation gap about tattoos. I see it in my own family. I always wonder how they will look after the passage of 25 years. A matter of perspective, I suspect, or is could be envy also.

She is a striking woman, and you captured her best in the final image.

I really like the warm, reflected red light from the rock and its interaction with her shoulder and the tattoos thereon. Maybe a little less sky in that one and it would be dynomite!
    Jim, I appreciate your thoughts. Getting rid of sky makes sense, although I'd like to keep the 2x3 aspect, so that means cropping. Is something like this what you had in mind?

619283545_AUXqB-XL.jpg

Thanks!
    -joel
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    Try isolating the tattoos--the model is already beautiful. Do this right and you will be able to showcase both in a more artistic way. I just did this with a recent shot and it turned out being alot of fun....

I love this idea and will definitely use it next time. Meanwhile, I'd love to see some of your examples. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I myself have ink! I find tattoos very interesting, as I've got another in the works. My only thing was that the dress didn't seem to fit the setting. The ink and the setting however......slammin' choice!!
    Really, that's surprising you'd say that. I was really enthusiastic about the dress here. Any suggestions for an alternate wardrobe? I'm all ears. ear.gif

Oh, and show us your tats! :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I'm a little late to add too much, so I'll keep it brief.
    #1 and #8 are my favs.
    I really like the way the light comes through her eye on #1; the color you get out of such a lighting setup is just awesome!

#8 has been poured over; I liked your cropped version better as well (removing distracting sky).

As to tats: rockin! Beautiful woman with awesome tats in an amazing setting. Dress is a nice contrast to the setting, too. I mean, think about it this way: what would make a better clothing option? Jeans and a T-shirt?

Good job!
    NateW
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • Options
    DieselDiesel Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Great Shots! The last photo of your set, IMHO, is the best!!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Jim, I appreciate your thoughts. Getting rid of sky makes sense, although I'd like to keep the 2x3 aspect, so that means cropping. Is something like this what you had in mind?

619283545_AUXqB-M.jpg

Thanks!
    -joel

I think less sky is clearly better, but what I was really wondering about was shooting from a slightly higher vantage point, which would let us see more of her curves, and less of the sky at the same time.

I really like the choice of dress, and appreciate the contrast of the dressy black garment and the tattoos. A contrast not typically seen as often. Tattoos this large and obvious, express a strong desire to be seen and noticed.

Maybe some closeups of just her head and shoulders on the rockface, which might also emphasize her tattoos as well

You need to shoot with her again - I would gel your flash warmer also, it looks a bit cool for the ambient in your early images, not this one.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Regarding the dress. I like the contrast of the outdoor and the formal-wear, but that same contrast can also say, headscratch.gif . If she were on a balcony or some man-made structure with nature behind her, the answer to 'why is she wearing such a nice dress out in the middle of RR' becomes very clear. So, if you want her to fit in more with her surrounding, perhaps short/tank/shirt like she's out hiking (perhaps still barefoot).

I've never shot with a model, so I'm just typing out loud here.

Another approach might be to have a couple and make it look like they are at a formal, or add just a champagne flute for her to hold to make it look like there's a reason she's in a full-length dress.

Thanks for sharing these images. I learned something from them and the discussion.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Really, that's surprising you'd say that. I was really enthusiastic about the dress here. Any suggestions for an alternate wardrobe? I'm all ears. ear.gif

Oh, and show us your tats! :D

Cheers,
    -joel

I've got a bit extra baggage to drop before I show off my ink again..2 kids took their toll on this bod, and lack of personal determination as well....SOON! rolleyes1.gif

Dress......my personal tastes would have been something like this. Hot Topic Black Dress (minus the boots, cuz I like the bare feet)

Again this is just my personal opinion had I been taking the shot, and please take it with a grain of salt, cuz I'm just going by my eye, not pro level skill :)
    ~Shannon~

my real job
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think less sky is clearly better, but what I was really wondering about was shooting from a slightly higher vantage point, which would let us see more of her curves, and less of the sky at the same time.

I really like the choice of dress, and appreciate the contrast of the dressy black garment and the tattoos. A contrast not typically seen as often. Tattoos this large and obvious, express a strong desire to be seen and noticed.

Maybe some closeups of just her head and shoulders on the rockface, which might also emphasize her tattoos as well

You need to shoot with her again - I would gel your flash warmer also, it looks a bit cool for the ambient in your early images, not this one.
    Oh, I see where you're going with this. I went back and found a couple of shots that are probably along those lines and not totally unlike what Maxxamillian suggested as far as isolating the tats. These are really more for illustration and I realize they're not quite up to par otherwise.

619477479_ehXBJ-XL.jpg

619578092_AKdGN-XL.jpg

I really like your flash gel idea and will definitely try that next time.

I really appreciate all the great suggestions, Jim. thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    I'm a little late to add too much, so I'll keep it brief.
    #1 and #8 are my favs.
    I really like the way the light comes through her eye on #1; the color you get out of such a lighting setup is just awesome!

#8 has been poured over; I liked your cropped version better as well (removing distracting sky).

As to tats: rockin! Beautiful woman with awesome tats in an amazing setting. Dress is a nice contrast to the setting, too. I mean, think about it this way: what would make a better clothing option? Jeans and a T-shirt?

Good job!
    NateW

Nate, thanks a bunch for the feedback. I can't tell you how reassuring it is for somebody to critically evaluate the series, but appreciate it for what it is. bowdown.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    cadredcadred Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I can't offer much other than the first 2 didn't do anything for me, but the rest after that are fantastic.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Regarding the dress. I like the contrast of the outdoor and the formal-wear, but that same contrast can also say, headscratch.gif . If she were on a balcony or some man-made structure with nature behind her, the answer to 'why is she wearing such a nice dress out in the middle of RR' becomes very clear. So, if you want her to fit in more with her surrounding, perhaps short/tank/shirt like she's out hiking (perhaps still barefoot).

I've never shot with a model, so I'm just typing out loud here.

Another approach might be to have a couple and make it look like they are at a formal, or add just a champagne flute for her to hold to make it look like there's a reason she's in a full-length dress.

Thanks for sharing these images. I learned something from them and the discussion.

Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate your thoughts on the shots. I am learning a lot of the discussion as well. thumb.gif

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    Diesel wrote:
    Great Shots! The last photo of your set, IMHO, is the best!!
    Thanks! It's almost unanimous now. :giggle

-joel
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    cadred wrote:
    I can't offer much other than the first 2 didn't do anything for me, but the rest after that are fantastic.

Thanks, Cadred! I can live with that. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    She has some serious ink; so that will naturally be one of the first things the eyes will go for; so may as well play it up! I used to like tats but now that I am getting older...well... let's just say I saw three older ladies with tattoos and her once beautiful and perfectly placed rose was now a long stem rose! mwink.gif