Options

DEET damage

fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited August 12, 2009 in Accessories
Just a friendly reminder what DEET can do to your gear. Had a small can in my flash bag develop a leak and drip onto flashes and quantum modules. I think everything still functions, but it is ugly.

Comments

• Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I would make up a good story about how when shooting for Nat Geo you were nearly roasted alive by canibals. As you were being turned slowly on the spit, you could smell the stench of burnning plastic from your flash units, which went off, startling the natives and allowing you the chance to escape. You keep this burned flash as a reminder of that terrifying experience.

DEET? Just going to repel the women. Go with Axe when given the choice.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
    One of the reasons I keep the stuff in a separate baggy--it's nasty stuff.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 10, 2009
    frons wrote:
    Just a friendly reminder what DEET can do to your gear. Had a small can in my flash bag develop a leak and drip onto flashes and quantum modules. I think everything still functions, but it is ugly.

Eeeeek!!! :yikes

I'd agree with InsuredDisaster and go with a story as suggested in post #2.

On a side note, I have not worn sunscreen on my face, neck or arms for years when carying camera gear after I found out the hard way the oils in it can erase markings on plastic and partially melt the plastic (as on camera bodies and lenses).
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    A guy I chat with occasionally is a sniper. The kind that dresses up in mold and grass and has to sit still for days unseen, often in bug / mosquito / crawly things infested places.

He and his crew are sure that Picardin is better than deet. It also doesn't melt plastic. Seems to me a wise choice for photographers as well.

That being said, as long as your gear still works well it sure has a 'sexier' look now from the wear.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009