Options

More experiments

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Some shots from yesterday in downtown Jacksonville.

1. My first attempt at creating a "Little Planet." A 360 panorama of 46 shots mapped with Hugin and enblend.

614432661_q8beH-L.jpg

2. A 5 shot pano of Friendship Fountain.

614429345_KuKZj-L.jpg

3. Another creation of a time lapse montage- Fusion of 6x9 shot panos taken over 2 hours at sunset.

615000815_KJSch-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    The first and third ones are really cool!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    The first and third ones are really cool!
    +1 15524779-Ti.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Some shots from yesterday in downtown Jacksonville.

1. My first attempt at creating a "Little Planet." A 360 panorama of 46 shots mapped with Hugin and enblend.

2. A 5 shot pano of Friendship Fountain.

3. Another creation of a time lapse montage- Fusion of 6x9 shot panos taken over 2 hours at sunset.

Thanks for looking!

Ohhhhhhh my goodness !! Chris that first shot is freakin awesome bowdown.gif

All three are excellent but that first one, words fail me, I love it :ivar

These are beautiful, again that first shot is Freakin Awesome thumb.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I'm not into the style of the first image - I appreciate the work, and it's a cool picture yada yada yada... but the third one... now that concept is really awesome!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    I'm not into the style of the first image - I appreciate the work, and it's a cool picture yada yada yada... but the third one... now that concept is really awesome!

Thanks, I get what you're saying about the style... its generally not my thing either but sometimes its fun to try new things, etc. The original rendering was a 2.5GB 200MP file and my computer was taking ages to do anything with it so I reduced to 60MP but you can still zoom in to the buildings with amazing detail.
    So I admit that I have been messing with a do-it-yourself pano rig and have been experimenting with it so everything I see now turns into a pano in my mind ;)
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    First one is very cool. The appreciation of it is probably enhanced if you have some idea of what the original is, then it feels less synthetic. Even as something synthetic, very cool!!!

Second one is nice; I think you need a little more space to sides else any frame would likely crop the fountain edges. Nice colors.

Third is amazing, though I have to admit I like the one you posted a week or so ago better. The blue transtions in this one are fantastic.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I like all 3...............clap.gif azzaro
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I too find #'s 1 & 3 to be exceptional! clap.gif

They are very nice as is, but I do find myself asking a couple of question?

For #1: The center of the sphere is the only thing that distracts me. Would a grassy field/surface better emphasize the elements around the perimeter?

For #3: I really like the concept and result. I don't know if my question would make it too cliche. But I wonder what the result would be with a consistently cloudless sky, and maybe some repetition of a sun and/or moon, to strengthen the passage of time?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    I too find #'s 1 & 3 to be exceptional! clap.gif

They are very nice as is, but I do find myself asking a couple of question?

For #1: The center of the sphere is the only thing that distracts me. Would a grassy field/surface better emphasize the elements around the perimeter?

For #3: I really like the concept and result. I don't know if my question would make it too cliche. But I wonder what the result would be with a consistently cloudless sky, and maybe some repetition of a sun and/or moon, to strengthen the passage of time?

Thanks, those are great points. For #1, I agree the paved walkway is not exactly the best foreground. Unfortunately the way things are executed if I were to change positions it would severely distort either the buildings (some would be huge, others small) or the trees. I may go back sometime and look for another position to set up.
    For #3, I did think about shopping a moon in the last image, but thought it may be a little much. As far as the clouds, that would be an interesting perspective but I'm at the mercy of nature and for a project that takes 2-3 hours to shoot and many hours stitching panos and composing the montage I'm not sure when I'll give it a go again.
    Here's a revised version with the moon- what do you think?

615000815_KJSch-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Here's a revised version with the moon- what do you think?
    I think the moon is a great touch! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    First one is very cool. The appreciation of it is probably enhanced if you have some idea of what the original is, then it feels less synthetic. Even as something synthetic, very cool!!!

Second one is nice; I think you need a little more space to sides else any frame would likely crop the fountain edges. Nice colors.

Third is amazing, though I have to admit I like the one you posted a week or so ago better. The blue transtions in this one are fantastic.

Thank you. I agree with all three of your points. On the top of the planet you see the Modis building and blue bridge- exactly the same as in the montage photo just a few hours earlier. I had to crop the fountain because just to the right of the crop there is a very bright light which was really distracting (its not too safe after dark so they keep it brightly lit). And I do like the original montage from a week ago, I was a more lucky with the sky having some nice colors then.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think the moon is a great touch! thumb.gif

Thanks Nikolai! Ansel Adams had no problems adding moons in post so why should I, right?!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    Gigapan has a flash viewer that let's you zoom in and out sort of like google earth.

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?id=30095
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    I like all 3...............clap.gif azzaro

15524779-Ti.gif Totally sweet stuff. :D Well done. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Great work on the 3rd one I have not seen that before I like it. Keep going with what you have its Amazing ...
  • Options
    AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I really like the third one (and I agree the moon is a nice touch). The one thing that kinda bothers me is that the clouds more or less line up through the first half of the set but not at the end. I know you probably can't do much about that without ruining the shot, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Also worth saying that I'd actually pay good money for a nicely framed print like that to decorate my apartment, that's how much I like it! =P
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Aldazar wrote:
    I really like the third one (and I agree the moon is a nice touch). The one thing that kinda bothers me is that the clouds more or less line up through the first half of the set but not at the end. I know you probably can't do much about that without ruining the shot, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Also worth saying that I'd actually pay good money for a nicely framed print like that to decorate my apartment, that's how much I like it! =P

Wow, thanks a lot. Yeah, mother nature is unpredictable, I definitely see what you're saying about the clouds. I'll probably live here awhile so I'm sure I'll give it a few more tries. The shot below was my first attempt at this style of photo, from a little different angle. Got a little more cooperation from the sky:

608920930_Y3HGy-L.jpg
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I'm with Azzaro -- I like all 3 too thumb.gif

Always wanted to do what you did in the first on, but not a clue how to do it.