Options

Robyn lozyn

PadgePadge Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited August 2, 2009 in People
robyn_IMG_6375.jpg
“It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary.”
David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Her face looks washed out relative to her body. Where is the light coming from, and what kind of light is it? I like the shape and the pose.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    The thing I would change/fix would be the stray hairs behind her ear. They're a bit OOF, or blurred still from some PP, as is the hair above the tiara. I'd just clone it out to make a nice, clean edge. If it were up to me to guess, I'd suspect that the lighter tone in the face is actually a product of her makeup choice rather than a lighting issue.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, tweaked accordingly.
    “It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary.”
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    I'm still curious about how the lighting is set up.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Nice try!
    Unfortunately, face, pose, dress, lighting and the background are in a total disarray and do not match each other.
    As Ben put it recenlty, shooting a pretty girl is a lot more than just shooting a pretty girl.
    Start with lowkey and 1-2 lights. Get the "why" first, then approach the "how".
    Keep shooting! :-) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I'm still curious about how the lighting is set up.

Sorry for not answering, strobe with soft box high right, strobe to backgound, reflectors to left.
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice try!
    Unfortunately, face, pose, dress, lighting and the background are in a total disarray and do not match each other.
    As Ben put it recenlty, shooting a pretty girl is a lot more than just shooting a pretty girl.
    Start with lowkey and 1-2 lights. Get the "why" first, then approach the "how".
    Keep shooting! :-) thumb.gif

Thanks for all of your positive comments, you must be an inspiration. rolleyes1.gif
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    You may want to flip your lighting around and have the soft box to camera left. To Nikoli's point (maybe) the pose seemed to be screaming for her to be on an antique chaise or something like that, but sometimes you have to go with what you have (or don't have). I also assumed this was a Senior Prom picture, not a model.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    You may want to flip your lighting around and have the soft box to camera left. To Nikoli's point (maybe) the pose seemed to be screaming for her to be on an antique chaise or something like that, but sometimes you have to go with what you have (or don't have). I also assumed this was a Senior Prom picture, not a model.

It was a prom picture, however the clue is in the title.

I am from the north of England, bit of research and find out what Lozyn means.
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Padge wrote:
    It was a prom picture, however the clue is in the title.

I am from the north of England, bit of research and find out what Lozyn means.

We are from the rest of the world, and would prefer not to have to do research to decrypt a title.:D

There seem to be artifacts left behind from cloning attempts on the background. THOSE areas should be revisited for sure.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    Hmm, my quick google search showed this thread, but Lozyn isn't coming up with anything English (lots of Russian references). I assume it is a local term for a Prom.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    We are from the rest of the world, and would prefer not to have to do research to decrypt a title.:D

There seem to be artifacts left behind from cloning attempts on the background. THOSE areas should be revisited for sure.

Thanks I'll check that out. Constructive criticism always welcome.
    Hmm, my quick google search showed this thread, but Lozyn isn't coming up with anything English (lots of Russian references). I assume it is a local term for a Prom.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Lozyn is a local term for lounging around, I had taken some portraits of Robyn and she was having a minute lozyn.
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    Lozyn is a local term for lounging around, I had taken some portraits of Robyn and she was having a minute lozyn.

Ahh. I was completely looking in the wrong direction. Learned something new now.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    FWIW, I held off chiming in because I didn't see any requests... Just a picture.
    Padge wrote:
    Thanks I'll check that out. Constructive criticism always welcome.

Now that I know what you want:

The above statement compels me to ask; Is this example, in your opinion, a casual snapshot or a work of art (portrait)? headscratch.gif

What are your likes and dislikes (if any)?

Thanks.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    FWIW, I held off chiming in because I didn't see any requests... Just a picture.
    Padge wrote:

Now that I know what you want:

The above statement compels me to ask; Is this example, in your opinion, a casual snapshot or a work of art (portrait)? headscratch.gif

Its a bit of both really, whe swas taking a bit of time out and I picked up the camera again and she just came up with the 'pose'. That's what I quite like about it, the fact that the dress and everything was very formal juxtaposed with a very casual 'lozyn' pose.
    D'Buggs wrote:
    What are your likes and dislikes (if any)?

Thanks.

I like taking candids when I'm doing people shots, I like to pick off people who look like they are posing for the camera when they are not.
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009

Its a bit of both really, whe swas taking a bit of time out and I picked up the camera again and she just came up with the 'pose'. That's what I quite like about it, the fact that the dress and everything was very formal juxtaposed with a very casual 'lozyn' pose.

I like taking candids when I'm doing people shots, I like to pick off people who look like they are posing for the camera when they are not.

- The photo seems pretty casual.
    - The PP DOES need tweaking. Not only around her head but foot, arms and hand also (pretty much all around her).
    - I think she's elevated (on a table???)..... I see distinct shadows in the cloth on CR and behind her, outlining a perfect 90 degree. I'd try fixing that too and might even try balancing the whites of the background and table (just slightly off), so that it looked more fluid. For this, you'll likely need to isolate one and work in an adjustment layer (levels).

Now,,,,, if it were my shot AND I had other choices from the shoot, I'd likely scrap this one and devote the attentions elsewhere (which I did just today)... I find that lighting the BG right, is easier than "fixing" it later - But that's me. thumb.gif

How did the 'formal' shots turn out? Please post some.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    - The photo seems pretty casual.

How did the 'formal' shots turn out? Please post some.

Robyn2_IMG_5699.jpg
    David Bailey

www.padge.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    I like this better!

Casual Comments:

- Bad hair day; especially when wearing that dress and a tiara.
    - Shoulders look rolled in/poor posture.
    - She gives me the feeling of wanting to be elsewhere.

Perhaps....

- Try a darker BG with a hair light. (Me thinks that that crown would sparkle....)
    - Less body turn in effort of complementing the fit of dress better (aka; a little cleavage).
    - Tighter crop or more picture... I'd go just below the bust.
    - Glass of wine, or 2,,,,,,, if she's old enough!

Worth a look:
    Posing and Directing. Dgrin search engine can be your hero!

Other:
    If Nikolais chimes in, hear what he offers. mwink.gif .... getting C&C from him, is akin to opening a jar of canned peaches with greasy hands. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers!