Options

20D Secrets...

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited July 4, 2005 in Cameras
Okay so a magazine that I was flipping through had a story about the 10 best least known features of the 20D. I knew 8 of the 10 but 2 were a welcomed addition to my arsenal. I should say that I'm certain that these won't be a surprise to everone, but maybe there are a couple of folks out there like me who didn't know about these.

1) Custom Function 16 "safety shift in Av or Tv" set to 1:Enable. This is most useful in Tv IMHO (although I usually am in Av). If the current shutter speed or Aperature is unsuitable for a shot, it will automatically adjust it. And if the subject brightness changes suddenly and current settings are unsuitable, the camera auto shifts to obtain proper exposure. It's kind of handy if you ask me.

2) Everyone always says that you shouldn't set the camera to shoot in black and white. However, if you shoot RAW + JPG in black and white mode you will get a black and white JPG and a Raw that retains all the color information. That's great news in my opinion since I can now feel free to experiment with in-camera B&W (and the associated "filters") without sacrificing access to a full color shot.

Anywho, I just thought I'd share those with everyone.
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,205 moderator
    edited June 24, 2005
    Good info
    Thanks Mike. As a soon-to-be 20D owner, I've bookmarked your post.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Mike
    I think this is a good idea
    I think Popular Photography had something smilar

Here's some of mine
    c.fn #2 is set to on for noise reduction

c.fn #4 is set to 0 which is default I think but I use this a lot
    I meter the shot with my thumb then autofocus with my index finger and take the shot

c.fn #8 is on so I can use iso 3200

c.fn #12 enable mirror lockup for nightshots
    I usually set the camera to timer then it's a shorter wait for the 20d to trip the shutter

No real secrets here but its a start ne_nau.gif
    What's your settings ? headscratch.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    Jim WJim W Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Mike, what magazine was the "10 best least known features of the 20D" in??

Thanks
    Jim
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Jim W wrote:
    Mike, what magazine was the "10 best least known features of the 20D" in??

Thanks
    Jim

popular photography
  • Options
    Jim WJim W Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Thanks Andy
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    Canon D20 secrets..
    I got the one for the 1dMKII, but a lot of it applies to the 20D, and if you look, you can probably find the 20D version, but there is a field guide you can get for both cameras that is very VERY detailed. Reading through it and the Nikon version is what really pushed me over to the Canons.
    I just got a nice little severance check, and today I intend to go pick up a 20D and some accessories. One more step in the road to being able to become a pro..

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    I just got a nice little severance check, and today I intend to go pick up a 20D and some accessories. One more step in the road to being able to become a pro..

MainFragger
    I also joined the Canon 20D Club mere minutes ago. Battery charging...... reading many manuals...... playing with buttons...... headscratch.gif

leave it to me to have a job where I need to work all weekend so I can't play with the thing. damn.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    I also joined the Canon 20D Club mere minutes ago. Battery charging...... reading many manuals...... playing with buttons...... headscratch.gif

leave it to me to have a job where I need to work all weekend so I can't play with the thing. damn.
    Welcome to the clubthumb.gif
    Have funclap.gif
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

Congratulations David!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Congratulations David!
    Thanks guys. I should save the first shot for history. It's just horrible! Andy's 10-22 makes the rooms in my house much larger. The Tamron 28-75 seems to work OK, but I'm just chimping so far, and it's going to be days before I get any shots at full res into the computer to look at them closer. The Canon manual has much to be desired, but it's a lot better than those Sony manuals.

Sooooo..... just wondering, what are the other eight 20D secrets? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    So David, is your 20D Andy's fault too? :D

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    D20 testdrive..
    Welcome to the clubthumb.gif
    Have funclap.gif
    I got the kit with the 18-85mm usm IS.
    I took my camera to Vesago tonight for a test drive. AMAZING camera. I also got the 580ex to go with it, and the battery handle with an extra battery. Very fast focus, mostly seems acurate (on screen..haven't seen them on the puter yet.).... I can already feel myself growing a muscle on my right arm. I'll have to excercise the left just to keep my arms from getting uneven muscle tone.

At first I wasn't sure how an optical viewfinder would work in a dark club...the answer turned out to be, like a dream... I actually really enjoyed taking pictures tonight.

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    I got the kit with the 18-85mm usm IS.
    Congrats to you too MainFragger!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2005
    At Fault
    Nir wrote:
    Nah. Andy's too nice of a guy to blame this on him.

I will blame STF. Just about everybody there went out and bought a D'reb or 20D, or a D70, so I was just another one of the lemmings jumping into a new cam. Besides, I kinda outgrew my old Sony S85 a couple years ago. I like big changes.

I had a decent Canon SLR and a few lenses several decades ago, darkroom and all, so the 20D is like going home for me. I'm learning the interface, but I find I'm still reaching around to front of the lenses to adjust that non-existent f-stop ring. headscratch.gif

The 20D control dials will grow on me, but I still have to think to adjust them.

I will credit Andy for making one of the 3 lenses I had on my shopping list available for purchase. That forced me to buy the camera. Then that, in turn, will force me to buy a new computer. That's my master plan. Follow that backwards logic?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2005
    I'm already hooked...
    David_S85 wrote:
    Nah. Andy's too nice of a guy to blame this on him.

I will blame STF. Just about everybody there went out and bought a D'reb or 20D, or a D70, so I was just another one of the lemmings jumping into a new cam. Besides, I kinda outgrew my old Sony S85 a couple years ago. I like big changes.

I had a decent Canon SLR and a few lenses several decades ago, darkroom and all, so the 20D is like going home for me. I'm learning the interface, but I find I'm still reaching around to front of the lenses to adjust that non-existent f-stop ring. headscratch.gif

The 20D control dials will grow on me, but I still have to think to adjust them.

I will credit Andy for making one of the 3 lenses I had on my shopping list available for purchase. That forced me to buy the camera. Then that, in turn, will force me to buy a new computer. That's my master plan. Follow that backwards logic?
    On my first two days of usage, I shto over 750 images. I like the camera a LOT! But the thing I am kinda having to readjust to is the higher minimum aperture on this lens than existed on my Panasonic DMC-FZ10. I've gotten very use to shooting between 2.8 and 4.0. And now 4.0 is the lowest I can go. Eventually I'll get better lenses and overcome that. For now, this camera and the 580ex are still pretty darn sweet.

MainFragger
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Everything is andys fault mate.