Options

Acadia Set

astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited July 22, 2009 in Landscapes
Been busy the last few months, so not a lot of posts here, but made a trip to Acadia NP in Maine over the 4th of July. This is going to kinda be a location/photo thread, so I am willing to answer any questions for those interested in going up there in the future. I'll get EXIF up on these in a bit when I get home from work.

I'll start with a link, so you can read a bit about the place.

http://www.nps.gov/ACAD

Here is a link to the NPS map for Acadia:

http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/upload/ACADmap2005.pdf

Anyway, I went up over the 4th of July weekend, and tried my hand at capturing some of the glory of this place. I'll say the weather didn't cooperate with my dreams, but I got some stuff.

I stayed at Bass Harbor Campground, which is convienently about a 10 minute walk from Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse. (The place is a icon in the realm of lighthouses to photograph.) I have some shots of it, but mostly when I went down there the weather sucked everytime. So I'll post up what went well.

Cadillac Mountain:
Here is one from my first night in the park. Weather sucked all day, rained, foggy the whole day. Then I went up above the tree line on Cadillac, just exploring. This changed my day. I was up above all the fog, and I just hung out on the mountain until sunset. So if you end up with a crappy day down by the shore, Cadillac might save the day. Look at the link I posted above, there is something about Cadillac Mountain Rd being closed to new traffic after 8pm, so get up there early. Not sure why this is, but make sure you check for stuff like this at "Welcome" center at the beginning of the park loop road near Cadillac Mountain.

Pentax K10D, SMC-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, 3 Stop GND, 3stop ND, Tripod, Release
20sec, f/22, ISO100, 16mm
588451740_MMEdG-XL.jpg

The day before I left to come home this was the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain. (BTW this is supposedly the first place the sunrise can be seen in the US).

Pentax K10D, SMC-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, Tripod, 3stop GND, cable release.
8sec, f/18, ISO100, 16mm
588453350_kBRy8-XL.jpg

Monument Cove and Otter Cliffs were where I spent my last sunset in the park.

Monument Cove and Otter Cliffs are literally 5 minutes apart by trail that runs right along the loop road. Monument Cove is easy to miss. Park at the Gorham Mountain Trailhead parking lot, cross the loop road, and Monument will be right below you on the trail. There is a rock slide down onto the "beach" that makes access the easiest, otherwise you are climbing down cliffs with your gear to shoot. But Monument Cove has the nice big round granite boulders. The four shots below are from Monument. With the right sky this place could be awesome. I had a decent sky, but the full moon was a nice touch, but I wish it had been bigger on the horizon.

Pentax K10D, SMC-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, 3 Stop GND, Tripod, Release
5sec, f/10, ISO100, 16mm
588460683_32MxB-XL.jpg

3sec, f/22, ISO100, 16mm
588456384_Cocvf-XL.jpg

4sec, f/22, ISO100, 16mm
588457898_229Bh-XL.jpg

2.5sec, f/22, ISO100, 16mm
588459333_UHTmB-XL.jpg

The one below is looking towards Otter Cliffs. Just a few minutes down the trail from Monument Cove.

30sec, f/7.1, ISO100, 16mm
588450188_mJrNX-XL.jpg

This last shot is from a small pond near Pretty Marsh on the west side of Mount Desert. I was waiting for sunset, so I went for a drive around the rest of the island to see what else was about.

Pentax K10D, SMC-DA* 300mm f/4, Tripod, Release
1/400sec, f/4, ISO100, 300mm
588454612_D3SAg-XL.jpg

Read up:

-Go get the AMC guide for Acadia NP, and read it. (If you aren't a huge hiker, if anything it supplies a good AMC topo map).
-Acadia: The Complete Guide by James Kaiser. (Good book, with good basic write ups on locations, and everything else from hiking to Bar Harbor)
-The Falcon Guide to Hiking in Acadia NP by Delores Kong and Dan Ring
-Also, National Audubon has a good National Park Photography book out, by Tim Fitzharris, which gave me some ideas for the icon shots of Acadia.
-There are also numerous resources on-line, just do a search.

If you have a long lens (500mm or better, or a long lens with a TC), check out Precipice. The Perigrine Falcons are there, and I got a ton of shots of them, but I only had a 300mm on a crop body. So a 500 on a crop, with a TC would probably give you much better results than I got. The stuff I got, you would have to crop down into probably less than 100 pixels, to fill the frame with the bird, so yeah, pretty crappy.

Get your Park Pass at the first station right after the bridge onto Mount Desert Island. It is usually not busy, and will save you time once you get into the park, and not have to buy one at the park enterace points. It is $20 a car, and good for a week (This is a great deal BTW to see so much stuff, you can't take the family to a movie for that cheap).

They say get off the loop road and get on the carriage roads. I didn't have the desire this time. Next time. I'm sure they are very picturesque during the fall with the leaves in full color.

Bar Harbor.... Just a word or two about Bar Harbor.... Tourist Trap! There is a lot of shops, there is the Bar Harbor Brewery store, where you can get all their beer, but for the most part, overpriced stuff, the night life can be fun, but I tried to stay out of the place. The first night I had too many beers.

I've got some other stuff I will probably finish and get into the thread, but like I said, I had some crummy weather the first two days there, so mostly fog pictures.

I think maybe I will try again for another trip up here around Labor Day.

Also, go later in the summer, early fall. I heard the park is almost abandoned at this time of year. I was there over the 4th. Probably the most croweded.

-Andy

Also, other options I wanted to explore and didn't due to financial and time constraints were photographing the Puffin's which can be found on only a few of the islands around the area.

Here are some of the charter boats going out to the islands.

http://www.boldcoast.com/

http://www.machiassealisland.com/ ( I was gonna use these guys, but $100 for a trip out there)

http://www.barharborwhales.com/rates-schedules.php (These guys seem to have good rates, but I don't think they can get as close, or land like the previous link can.

Comments

• Options
    stargazer858stargazer858 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2009
    Great photos. Also thanks for the information, I will be going there in mid September.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Thanks Stargazer. EXIF added above the shots also.

-Andy
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 21, 2009
    Wow, these are fantastic. I love the compositions with a strong foreground, and long exposures of water are one my favorite subjects anyway. I can't decide which one I like best, they are all great! thumb.gif It's a good thing you used a GND filter. I have to get one of those soon, but I fear I just won't be bothered to use it, especially on a hiking trip. Whoever said photography isn't hard work? rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Great series. I love 2,3, and 4. Wonderful colors in 2 in both the sky and the rocks, the textures seem to mimic each other. #3 this is just beautiful and like you said the moon is a bonus. And 4 I love near/far images, you have great clarity and colors. Nailed it.
  • Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Wow! Awesome series that captures the beauty of this park.
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Beautiful photographs ! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    These just fabulous! bowdown.gif You really captured the essence of the rocky coastline, with some great light, textures, colors, etc. Wow and what a great example. I think this is a great teaser for those of you going to the shootout this fall.

In fact, if you have not already done so I would daresay it's worth posting a link to this thread over there You have so much great info here for visitors. :D
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Thanks all for your comments...I'll be heading back up there in October, so we'll see how I do with some fall color. Then I can get the bubbles this time. Didn't shoot them due to lack of sky interest, and sunrise on Cadillac was more important to me. Schmoo that'd be cool if you linked these for the dgrinner shootout. Thanks guys!

-Andy
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Very nice work here on all of them. I'd love to get down there sometime.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Very nice work here on all of them. I'd love to get down there sometime.

Thanks Danny. And yeah, you owe it to yourself to get there sometime. It is every great landscape type you could want all in one place.

-Andy
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Thanks all for your comments...I'll be heading back up there in October, so we'll see how I do with some fall color. Then I can get the bubbles this time. Didn't shoot them due to lack of sky interest, and sunrise on Cadillac was more important to me. Schmoo that'd be cool if you linked these for the dgrinner shootout. Thanks guys!

-Andy

Hey it looks like Nikolai beat me to it. Hooray! :smo
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Great photos and really good info. I've been to Acadia once, but would love to go back! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    Awesome set! Thanks for the location tips. I'm heading up there in a few weeks for a camping trip with my 12 y/o son, for the second year in a row. Can't wait to shoot there again!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    boblu262 wrote:
    Awesome set! Thanks for the location tips. I'm heading up there in a few weeks for a camping trip with my 12 y/o son, for the second year in a row. Can't wait to shoot there again!

No problem. Thanks.

-Andy