Options

Help making a watermark?

ItalianKutieItalianKutie Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited July 15, 2009 in Finishing School
I have attached a file of a watermark that I would like to figure out how to make. I have a logo that I want to use, I just do not know how to make that white/semi transparent strip along the bottom of the picture. Can anyone help me? I have CS3 to work with. thanks
www.photosbyhollyk.com
Holly Kimble, accountant, photographer, athlete:ivar

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Hi Holly,

This isn't too hard to do depending on your current photoshop skills. I would first look here, at one of the many watermark tutorials.

The basic premise is that you will create a multilayer file in photoshop that you will save as a .png file. no png, no transparency.

A couple of things about this watermark:
    1. The symbol appears to be an outline and is transparent in the middle.
    2. The text and symbol appear to be non-transparent (not an issue. just depends what you want).
    3. The white banner is the part that is the most transparent.

The reason I point out the transparency difference is that you can control transparancy in photoshop (layer by layer) and in the smugmug load (for the whole file). How much and where is all a matter of taste and what you want the final watermark to look like.

In simple steps:
    1. Open photoshop and create a new file in the dimensions of the banner, maybe something like 100 pixels high and 1600 wide.

2. Select white as your foreground color and hit alt-backspace to fill the layer white.
    3. Adjust the layer's opacity to something less than 100% . This controls the transparency of the strip.
    4. Create a new layer and copy/paste your graphic design from whatever source/original you have. Position and resize as required.
    5. use the Text tool and type and text that you need.
    6. Create a flattened layer of all the layers (Ctrl-alt-shft-E)
    7. Save the file (for backup and future editting purposes).

This pretty much does it.

8. Now, Save As a .png file. This is the file that you upload to smugmug. There are lots of threads on this part.

hope this helps,
  • Options
    ItalianKutieItalianKutie Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Wow thank you so much, I am going to try this tonight. Seems simple! Thanks again, this is great.
    www.photosbyhollyk.com
    Holly Kimble, accountant, photographer, athlete:ivar