Options

Full Screen slideshow stopping

jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
edited July 13, 2009 in SmugMug Support
great new slideshow but the new slideshow seems unreliable. There are times when it works fine. But then other times when image gets stuck and doesn't change and thumbnail buttons don't work. I keep clicking but nothing happens. Its like 50/50 that it will get stuck eventually eg, after the 7th image, the image gets stuck and clicking on thumbnails doesn't do anything.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    great new slideshow but the new slideshow seems unreliable. There are times when it works fine. But then other times when image gets stuck and doesn't change and thumbnail buttons don't work. I keep clicking but nothing happens. Its like 50/50 that it will get stuck eventually eg, after the 7th image, the image gets stuck and clicking on thumbnails doesn't do anything.
    I've seen the same thing every once in a while. Regular web works fine - slideshow gets stuck.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    Can you give a link that this happens on? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Can you give a link that this happens on? ear.gif

i just tried this gallery and on 10th image, it got stuck which means thumbnail didn't work or right arrow button didn't do anything.

http://www.sweetdreamsstudio.com/gallery/7084498_WykMy#578437675_TfP5C
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    i just tried this gallery and on 10th image, it got stuck which means thumbnail didn't work or right arrow button didn't do anything.

You have that gallery forced to SmugMug style ear.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    You have that gallery forced to SmugMug style ear.gif

so? What does that matter with the slideshow? Just click on slideshow button and it will run slideshow :)
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    so? What does that matter with the slideshow? Just click on slideshow button and it will run slideshow :)
    OK We've been talking about the in-gallery slideshow Style, not the Full Screen Slideshow, Jinspin. Still, I'll check for you, standby.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    jinspin wrote:

I hit FSSS Button, got all the way thru, no problems. Can you completely clear your cache and close, reopen browser, try again? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I hit FSSS Button, got all the way thru, no problems. Can you completely clear your cache and close, reopen browser, try again? ear.gif

I clear caches and restarted browser.
    After maybe 15 clicks it stalled again and clicking does nothing. I clicked fast too.
    I had a friend try it on her computer and she said it got stuck with her too. I am using latest Firefox.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    I clear caches and restarted browser.
    After maybe 15 clicks it stalled again and clicking does nothing. I clicked fast too.
    I had a friend try it on her computer and she said it got stuck with her too. I am using latest Firefox.
    OK The plot thickens - so you are bang bang banging on the right arrow? Or on thumbnails? How many times are you clicking? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    OK The plot thickens - so you are bang bang banging on the right arrow? Or on thumbnails? How many times are you clicking? ear.gif

I click right arrow and then it eventually stops moving. And so i click thumbnail and it does nothing.
    I also saw clicking right arrow would move pictures but thumbnails didn't move and display the next set of thumbnails. So it would be out of synch.
    Weird buggy stuff.
    I don't know if its a performance speed issue and things not synching up.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    jinspin wrote:
    I click right arrow and then it eventually stops moving. And so i click thumbnail and it does nothing.
    I also saw clicking right arrow would move pictures but thumbnails didn't move and display the next set of thumbnails. So it would be out of synch.
    Weird buggy stuff.
    I don't know if its a performance speed issue and things not synching up.
    I'm going to ask Sam the developer to pop in tomorrow here and ask some questions. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    wayne861wayne861 Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm going to ask Sam the developer to pop in tomorrow here and ask some questions. Stay tuned.

The full screen slideshow runs ok for about 15 frames, then it hangs and stops advancing. If you wait for a bit, it will run through a few more frames and then stops again. It's not specific to one gallery, as we are all trying to view different ones, and it seems we are seeing the same problem.

Wayne
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    My show, FSSS, has stopped in the past at a photo and the next one wouldn't load.
    Clicking the thumb after the non-loading thumb and it runs onward. But
    clicking back on non-loading thumb it won't show. Clicking a couple back and
    it runs up to the non-loading thumb.

To solve it I had to reapply the WM to the non-loading photo. Then the show
    would run through it. I found this happening in a few galleries back in May and
    think I posted it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    trtlrocktrtlrock Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    wayne861 wrote:
    The full screen slideshow runs ok for about 15 frames, then it hangs and stops advancing. If you wait for a bit, it will run through a few more frames and then stops again. It's not specific to one gallery, as we are all trying to view different ones, and it seems we are seeing the same problem.

Wayne

ditto - quite annoying; been happening since middle of this past week.

http://trtlrock.smugmug.com/gallery/8586598_opXYs#565973103_MuCvL
  • Options
    Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I had the slide show get stuck on me just once when I tried it out today, but have had other problems, too.

On my 15.4" wide screen laptop, using Firefox (my usual browser), IE or Safari, slide show starts showing landscape orientation images with quite a large black border -- some with more back area than others -- then will change to making images so large that they don't fit the screen, and only part is shown. This seems to be random, as letting the show repeat, there will be a mixture of sizes again. Portrait orientation images fit fine all the time, though.

On my 24" screen pc, landscape orientation images always fit the screen, but often have the same large black border I've mentioned above. I'm surprised about this, because all my uploads are full sized files from my Canon 40D and G10. When I view these files at 100% size in an image viewer on the pc, even those that are cropped quite a lot are too big to see entirely, so I figure that the slide show shouldn't have any trouble in stretching these across the screen to the maximum.

By the way, I've tried this out with quite a few galleries, and it's always the same.

To sum up then, it seems that the slide show does not recognise correctly some screen sizes, but when it does, it does not always fill the screen quite enough.

PS. I don't know if this is specifically an IE problem, but with Firefox and Safari, the show is full screen in that there are no browser bars showing. With IE, the address bar shows above, and at the bottom, another bar, which displays the word "Done". Pressing the F11 key, the address bar disappears, but the bottom bar remains.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I had the slide show get stuck on me just once when I tried it out today, but have had other problems, too.

On my 15.4" wide screen laptop, using Firefox (my usual browser), IE or Safari, slide show starts showing landscape orientation images with quite a large black border -- some with more back area than others -- then will change to making images so large that they don't fit the screen, and only part is shown. This seems to be random, as letting the show repeat, there will be a mixture of sizes again. Portrait orientation images fit fine all the time, though.

On my 24" screen pc, landscape orientation images always fit the screen, but often have the same large black border I've mentioned above. I'm surprised about this, because all my uploads are full sized files from my Canon 40D and G10. When I view these files at 100% size in an image viewer on the pc, even those that are cropped quite a lot are too big to see entirely, so I figure that the slide show shouldn't have any trouble in stretching these across the screen to the maximum.

By the way, I've tried this out with quite a few galleries, and it's always the same.

To sum up then, it seems that the slide show does not recognise correctly some screen sizes, but when it does, it does not always fill the screen quite enough.

PS. I don't know if this is specifically an IE problem, but with Firefox and Safari, the show is full screen in that there are no browser bars showing. With IE, the address bar shows above, and at the bottom, another bar, which displays the word "Done". Pressing the F11 key, the address bar disappears, but the bottom bar remains.

I have an idea why this might be happening, could you point me to one of the galleries/photos it happened to so I can confirm the theory?

Thakns,
    Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    Andrew GouldAndrew Gould Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Shizam wrote:
    I have an idea why this might be happening, could you point me to one of the galleries/photos it happened to so I can confirm the theory?

Thakns,
    Sam

Here you are, Sam:

http://www.andrewgouldphotography.com/gallery/8758582_JKG7Z#438691821_ZeSnd

Thank you.