Options

Need help with camera settings and Smugmug Homepage

mdfranksmdfranks Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited July 23, 2009 in Technique
I was wondering if someone can help me out and give me suggestions on my website http://mdfranks.smugmug.com/ and how to take pictures with my Canon SD990 Powershot.
I am having a hard time figuring out why some of my pictures come out blurry or to dark, and I cannot figure out how to take fast moving pictures, like running or swimming without a blur, http://mdfranks.smugmug.com/ which is the option that sold me on this little camera
The book does not go in depth and I do not understand what is AF Frame- Face Detect, AiAf, and Center... Servo AF - On/Off or AF assist Beam- IS Mode Continuous, Shoot Only, Panning, Off, also on the Quick Shot, what is a good exposure, there is a +/- and then there is a Flash +/-. I cannot seem to find any help on the Canon website so I was hoping someone out there could help. I received this camera a couple of months ago and feel as if I am missing the exhilaration that I have seen other users post about this camera.
Lastly my smugmug homepage http://mdfranks.smugmug.com/ seems so plain and I am not sure I am doing it right especially from looking at other sites, how can I get my homepage to be attractive. Are having so many galleries on my homepage okay?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    I've moved this to Technique. thumb.gif

Please re-post the SmugMug part of the question in the SmugMug Customization Forum. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    mdfranks wrote:
    I was wondering if someone can help me out and give me suggestions on my website http://mdfranks.smugmug.com/ and how to take pictures with my Canon SD990 Powershot.
    I am having a hard time figuring out why some of my pictures come out blurry or to dark, and I cannot figure out how to take fast moving pictures, like running or swimming without a blur, http://mdfranks.smugmug.com/ which is the option that sold me on this little camera
    The book does not go in depth and I do not understand what is AF Frame- Face Detect, AiAf, and Center... Servo AF - On/Off or AF assist Beam- IS Mode Continuous, Shoot Only, Panning, Off, also on the Quick Shot, what is a good exposure, there is a +/- and then there is a Flash +/-. I cannot seem to find any help on the Canon website so I was hoping someone out there could help. I received this camera a couple of months ago and feel as if I am missing the exhilaration that I have seen other users post about this camera.
    Lastly my smugmug homepage http://mdfranks.smugmug.com/ seems so plain and I am not sure I am doing it right especially from looking at other sites, how can I get my homepage to be attractive. Are having so many galleries on my homepage okay?
    I don't think you will receive many - if any - helpful replies. Your question is too general and what you have provided is far too much. You've linked to your entire SmugMug collection. By doing so, you've asked for people to go through dozens of photographs and select ones for comment.

You might receive useful comments if you select one or two specific images, post those images (not links to them) here, and ask specific questions about those images.

In general, you have a collection of snapshots. You've captured memories of people and an event. That's fine for you, and accomplishes what you want to do, but it isn't an area where critiquing applies.

I don't see any problems that are camera-related. The problems are related to the inexperience of the photographer. They are problems of composition, lighting, and subject matter. It's not the camera's fault if you photograph someone with the sun behind them and their face is in deep shadow. I didn't notice any blurred photos (but I wasn't willing to look at all photos), but I suspect that they would be "operator error" in not panning with the action.

As to your questions about settings, I hate to be harsh, but read the manual. I haven't read the manual for the Canon SD990, but most camera manuals explain what these settings are for. When in doubt, practice by taking two shots of the identical setting - one with the feature turned on in one and not the other - and compare the shots.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    I did read the manual several times and that is why I finally posted this, I rather you not had posted anything than posting a mean message. I am a beginner and was just asking for help.
    TonyCooper wrote:
    I don't think you will receive many - if any - helpful replies. Your question is too general and what you have provided is far too much. You've linked to your entire SmugMug collection. By doing so, you've asked for people to go through dozens of photographs and select ones for comment.

You might receive useful comments if you select one or two specific images, post those images (not links to them) here, and ask specific questions about those images.

In general, you have a collection of snapshots. You've captured memories of people and an event. That's fine for you, and accomplishes what you want to do, but it isn't an area where critiquing applies.

I don't see any problems that are camera-related. The problems are related to the inexperience of the photographer. They are problems of composition, lighting, and subject matter. It's not the camera's fault if you photograph someone with the sun behind them and their face is in deep shadow. I didn't notice any blurred photos (but I wasn't willing to look at all photos), but I suspect that they would be "operator error" in not panning with the action.

As to your questions about settings, I hate to be harsh, but read the manual. I haven't read the manual for the Canon SD990, but most camera manuals explain what these settings are for. When in doubt, practice by taking two shots of the identical setting - one with the feature turned on in one and not the other - and compare the shots.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I'm sorry if you felt my post was "mean", but I was trying to help. The features you asked about are in the manual. For example, the face detect information is on pages 21,62,82, and 86. If you don't understand the explanations, ask about what you specifically don't understand.

Servo AF is explained on page 84. Panning is mentioned on page 145, but not explained. Panning is moving the camera along with a moving object rather than waiting for the moving object to come up in the viewfinder.

The other features are also explained in the manual. Manuals are not always as complete as we would like them, and they are rarely indexed adquately, but the information is there.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    If you don't have a basic photography course available to you, or simply can't fit it into your schedule, I highly recommend this book to explain the "basics" of many of your questions. http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372

(All except the camera and smug specific questions.) It's a great starting place for someone just getting their feet wet. It covers a lot of technique as well as the technical. You'll figure it out with practice, research, and time. Good luck.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 14, 2009
    mdfranks wrote:
    I did read the manual several times and that is why I finally posted this, I rather you not had posted anything than posting a mean message. I am a beginner and was just asking for help.

There's a lot to take in reading the manual. The smaller P&S cameras, like the one you have, are great. I just took my SD800 to Yosemite. I need to do a little editing but I think it worked out pretty well. Of course, my subjects were stationary :D

As for panning, the real trick is to begin following your subject until the shot is framed as you'd like, then press the shutter and continue panning until you're sure the image is exposed. In bright light, it will take some practice. I'm still trying to figure the timing out on my SD800. There is some shutter lag that you must learn to predict when panning. Once you've practiced a bit, it comes second nature.

Too dark or to bright. What mode are you using? How to answer depends on what mode you are using.

I think Tony's comments are right on the money. Here's how to tackle them. Go out and shoot--practice makes perfect. I think you'll find if you break the manual down and practice only small bits each time, you'll improve leaps and bounds in no time.

Since you've expressed a desire to get better at panning, here's a tip to get better. Set the camera to Shutter Priority mode. Then adjust your shutter speed to say 1/1000's of a second. Now find a busy street. Pick a car that's a little ways away. Frame the shot and start panning--make the exposure. Now, repeat the process again but adjust the shutter speed to 1/500. 1/250, 1/125 and so on until you get down to to 1/50. It's not really useful to go below that (yet). Remember to focus on the car (you'll need AF) by pressing about 1/2 down on the shutter and then all the way as the car is framed as you'd like.

The manual for anything these days can be quite daunting. If you break it down into small, easily achieved bits, it won't seem as daunting.

Another tip is to find a local class through your recreation department. That can be a fun way to learn by doing too.

Best of luck!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Thank you for the reply, your information has been very helpful... I set my ISO's like you said and the pictures came out a lot better. Again many thanks.

Sincerely,
    Monica
    ian408 wrote:

Since you've expressed a desire to get better at panning, here's a tip to get better. Set the camera to Shutter Priority mode. Then adjust your shutter speed to say 1/1000's of a second. Now find a busy street. Pick a car that's a little ways away. Frame the shot and start panning--make the exposure. Now, repeat the process again but adjust the shutter speed to 1/500. 1/250, 1/125 and so on until you get down to to 1/50. It's not really useful to go below that (yet). Remember to focus on the car (you'll need AF) by pressing about 1/2 down on the shutter and then all the way as the car is framed as you'd like.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    Thank you for the feedback I just bought the book!

Monica
    pwp wrote:
    If you don't have a basic photography course available to you, or simply can't fit it into your schedule, I highly recommend this book to explain the "basics" of many of your questions. http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372

(All except the camera and smug specific questions.) It's a great starting place for someone just getting their feet wet. It covers a lot of technique as well as the technical. You'll figure it out with practice, research, and time. Good luck.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 23, 2009
    mdfranks wrote:
    Thank you for the reply, your information has been very helpful... I set my ISO's like you said and the pictures came out a lot better. Again many thanks.

You're welcome.

If you'd like, post a couple of images for some more help.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?