Options

Mt. Huashan China

SteezusSteezus Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 3, 2009 in Journeys
Well, I have been looking for a good photography forum for a little while now and actually stumbled on this one today. I must say I like it.. Lots of people, lots of great shots, no fee, and no retarded image size constraints.

Anyways, I just returned from a trip to China and I thought it was an amazing place. I have so many photos to process, but I went straight into my Mt. Huashan pictures because this place is just amazing!

I wouldn't usually pimp my blog in a post like this, but it will describe this a bit more, including some info on how to get there if anyone else is ever in the Xi'an area.

http://cktravelblog.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/%E8%8F%AF%E5%B1%B1-mt-huashan/

The South Peak during sunrise-
3566888030_51f3f673a4_b.jpg

The entrance, mind you it was freezing cold, very gusty, and raining.. I knew this place was crazy, but in person it was crazy to think this route was even allowed. Sign me up for the harness!
3565538599_b6e80c40c8_b.jpg

The rusty and maybe not so trusty planks-
3565548203_8b6c519ec8_b.jpg

My wife.. She enjoys hanging on the side of 1,000+ foot cliffs-
3565552043_6297800efb_b.jpg

Me, not so much! I was pretty scared holding onto the cables, let alone removing a hand to take a shot!
3567034608_d6a2882725_b.jpg

Unfortunately, the rush is short lived. This is just a short 50 meter section that take you to a cave shrine. We are on our way back up in this shot-
3566341461_f4406ac576_b.jpg

Whoring the LucisArt look-
3566359356_eabfc57a41_b.jpg

If anyone has any questions about the logistics to get here or anything else like that, I have no problem passing along as much information as I know. I highly recommend going out of your way to see this place if you are in China!

Comments

• Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Very cool pictures!!! I read your blog, sounds like an awesome experience. I love to hike and I'm not really afraid of heights but I don't think I could do anything like that. Thanks for posting and welcome to Dgrin!

Stephanie
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Amazing images and a little scary to. I don't think I could do that unless I was sitting in a heli taking the pictures. Really wonderful shots.

peace, gail
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks! Yeah, I thought that using harnesses would be optional and kind of wimpy. I surely did not plan on using one when we got there. Upon arrival.. Even if the wind was not gusting so hard, you could not have paid me enough to do that without them!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    eek7.gif Wow that is scaryyyy !

Great images !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Mt. Huashan is the subject of many of the Chinese scroll paintings since it is so scenic. It is often obscured completely by clouds. The first picture of the mountain is very majestic and well done.

The others amaze me as I would never venture on that precarious a trail without an auxiliary parachute... Is that crazy part just to descend to the shrine (like is it optional?) or is that representative of much of the trail. Looks to have been a tremendous adventure for both of you. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    wow..those are some crazy catwalks!clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    The others amaze me as I would never venture on that precarious a trail without an auxiliary parachute... Is that crazy part just to descend to the shrine (like is it optional?) or is that representative of much of the trail.

Haha, Yeah, I think you could easily base jump from a lot of spots on the mountain. The actual plank walk trail is only an optional out and back that you have to pay a small amount of yuan to use. When we were researching the trail, we thought it was all over the mountain and the only way up. The trail to the top definitely has some exciting sections, but it isn't enough to warrant the need for a harness, plus it has chains to protect people from going over the edge.

There is also a tram that can bypass half the hike. We hiked from the bottom, but took it down. I wish it wasn't there because there were sections of the trail near the tram that were really crowded. Beautiful, beautiful area though!