Options

Weekly Assignment #122: Stack It Up!

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Assignments
Bug shooters, flower chasers and macro lovers been doing this trick for ages. Now it's time to try our own version of focus stacking.
The concept comes from a situation when you shoot wide open (i.e. extremely shallow DOF), yet you need to cover a rather large distance with your focus (10 or more times deeper than your wide-open DOF).
The trick is called focus stacking: you take the same image and only change the focus point ever so slightly. Then you combine the images in post.

As a simple subject you may set up a row of bottles (my favorite subject it seems) positioned in a way that the row goes away from the camera. Then you set your camera on a very sturdy tripod (remote/tethered shooting is recommended), open your lens wide, set your camera to a full manual, and start taking pictures with one bottle being in focus at one time. Then you combine the composite.
The easiest way to do that is using remote live view shooting (so nothing moves and you have complete control over the camera settings and focal point). If you don't have that option - do it manually, juts be very, VERY careful.
Once the images are captured, you need to "stack" them. If you have PS CS4, it can help to do it automatically. Otherwise - just load individual frames into layers and use masking.

Restrictions: at least 6 subjects; your SOOC DOF should be shallow enough to cover only ONE. Final composite should cover all.

Your entry should consist of:
  • a SOOC frame of the nearest subject
  • a SOOC frame of the farthest subject
  • final composite
Let's get busy stacking!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    Well, its been a while... But I guess I'll do this because no one else is... Is this what you're looking for? Its not the greatest quality, but am I on the right track here? f/2.8 25mm

Mug 1:
    598154203_v7xvk-L.jpg

Mug 7:
    598153980_6XTCJ-L.jpg

Final Comp:
    598151048_teLEM-L.jpg

Places in order:
    1. Wisconsin
    2. Hoover Dam
    3. Grand Canyon
    4. Colorado
    5. Minnesota
    6. Fort Jackson, South Carolina
    7. San Diego, California
    Jer
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    Well, its been a while... But I guess I'll do this because no one else is... Is this what you're looking for? Its not the greatest quality, but am I on the right track here? f/2.8 25mm
    Jeremy, thank you very much! thumb.gif
    Great entry, and exactly what's been needed! deal.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Interesting technique. Why would one use this versus a narrow aperture with a longer shutter duration?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Interesting technique. Why would one use this versus a narrow aperture with a longer shutter duration?
    Multiple reasons, one being able to use optimal f/setting and another being shorter shutter speeds, all eventually leading to a much better image quality...
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2009
    Thank you for the reply Nikolai. Would not the soft focus of previous shots muddle the sharpness of the other shots when layered?
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    Thank you for the reply Nikolai. Would not the soft focus of previous shots muddle the sharpness of the other shots when layered?
    Not if you do it right...
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    After re-reading the information on the stacking, you mask off each part of each image that isn't supposed to be stacked, like the out of focus ones?
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    SamirD wrote:
    After re-reading the information on the stacking, you mask off each part of each image that isn't supposed to be stacked, like the out of focus ones?
    Yes.