Options

Sort photos by date (requires iPhoto)

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited February 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
So if you happen to be like me, maybe you have two digital cameras, or multiple memory cards, but at any rate, the filename order of any given gallery of photos does *not* correspond to the date on which they were taken.

Of course this information is actually embedded in the images themselves, in the EXIF headers (you can see all of this data when you click on "More photo details)".

So I was hoping that Smugmug might offer the option to sort based on the EXIF dates. Alas, no.

So I got the bright idea that since iPhoto already can sort, if I used the Uploader to upload by iPhoto Album (as opposed to by files), it might preserve the sort order.

And it does. Yay.

So that's a workaround. Of course it'd be nice if you uploaded just a few more photos to a Gallery that they automatically be dropped into the correct place chronologically (if so desired).

Or, better still (and yes, this is yet another feature request), if you added a few photos to the iPhoto Album, and did an upload, the Uploader would do a check first to see which files were actually new, and only upload those files. As it works now, if you upload an Album to the same Gallery again, it will upload *everything* again, and you'll have duplicate photos in the gallery.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 19, 2004
    What about Windows, Linux?
    Oh, if you don't have a Mac, and don't mind renaming your JPEGs, there's various programs out there that can rename your images based on EXIF date (which will then allow the Smugmug sorter to put them in the right order.):

- Flexible Renamer
    - PhotoRename

And oh, I forgot that there's really keen Linux program called Jhead that allows you to do all kinds of great EXIF data manipulation, and with the -n command line option, you can rename images based on the EXIF date:

- Jhead

Hope this helps somebody out there.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2004
    darryl wrote:
    Oh, if you don't have a Mac, and don't mind renaming your JPEGs, there's various programs out there that can rename your images based on EXIF date (which will then allow the Smugmug sorter to put them in the right order.):

- Flexible Renamer
    - PhotoRename

And oh, I forgot that there's really keen Linux program called Jhead that allows you to do all kinds of great EXIF data manipulation, and with the -n command line option, you can rename images based on the EXIF date:

- Jhead

Thanks Darryl
    I'll give them a go! Which do you prefer?

I use a program called "Tag & Rename" from Softpointer for my MP3's and always thought how useful it would be to have something similar for pictures.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks Darryl
    I'll give them a go! Which do you prefer?

I use a program called "Tag & Rename" from Softpointer for my MP3's and always thought how useful it would be to have something similar for pictures.
    Hi gubbs -- to be honest, I've only actually used the jhead program on Linux to rename files. Well, that and the iPhoto workaround.

I would make a copy of a small number of images and use those to try evaluating both programs just so you don't inadvertantly lose any data.
  • Options
    DilipDilip Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    jhead is very useful, such as for copying EXIF data from one picture to another. I typically use it when I put panoramic pictures together - I copy the EXIF data from one of the component shots to the target panorama. For EXIF date/time stamp, I like to correct the Windows date/time stamp, and EXIF Viewer, http://www.amarra.de/exif_uk.htm, is the tool!
    darryl wrote:

- Flexible Renamer
    - PhotoRename

- Jhead