Options

New BETA uploader - June 17, 2005

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited August 6, 2005 in SmugMug Support
We need some testing done on a new uploader codebase we're evaluating.

You can find it on the "add photos" page below all the standard uploaders.

Specifically, we need to know what OS & browsers it works on and doesn't. Other feedback is useful, but we haven't done any UI work at all, so that's of less use than what platforms work.

Thanks!

Don

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Dragged photo from desktop and works great.
    Win2000Pro, NS7.2
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 17, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Specifically, we need to know what OS & browsers it works on and doesn't. Other feedback is useful, but we haven't done any UI work at all, so that's of less use than what platforms work.

Thanks!

Don

Mac OS 10.4.1 - Safari 2.0 - Drag and drop from folder works great!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    lenscapelenscape Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    With Windows Xp and Firefox 1.0.4 works fine. thumb.gif

'you don't take a photograph, you make it.' - Ansel Adams

http://www.lenscapephotography.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Works on Win2000 with IE6 and Mozilla 1.3.
    Suggestions:
    - resizeable window (my filenames get cut)
    - pause button
    - show current speed --> maybe even speed-throttle (especially for dial-up users, but also useful for broadband)
    - preview is disorted or does not show full image --> adjust for landscape/portrait orientation

How much can this uploader handle? Is there a queue limit like for the others?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Linux test
    It seems to be working fine with Opera 8.0 on Debian Linux. I just uploaded 346 MB in one fell swoop (using the browse interface rather than drag and drop.) What is the maximum upload size? I tried giving it my entire directory (564 MB) and it got angry. So I selected a subset (346 MB) and it seems to work fine.

This seems like a GREAT tool. It fixes the one problem that I have had uploading; the 100 MB limit on the java based uploader that runs in linux. Keep up the good work!

I will give it a try in some of the other browsers I use on linux to make sure it plays happily.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    volcs0volcs0 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Just tried on my PB 867 with OS 10.4.1 / Safari 2.0. I got this error about halfway through the picture:

java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
  • Options
    didymusdidymus Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    Works in firefox win2k dragging from picasa, which is quite convenient!
    I did accidentally logout while uploading, and that screwed it up, I had to force close the uploads, they wouldnt close normally, and images were incomplete..
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Did anybody else notice that this is a "very eary stage" piece of betaware? You'd have to get up pretty "eary" in the morning to get that one by me.clap.gif
    Richard
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Well, the java install failed, and now I get a "register failk" so I can't use the beta uploader. Something about I need to adjust my registry to relfect the jave app or something.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    The java uploader is not working on my machine (win xp pro, firefox 1.0.4). All I get is a little red x in the top left corner. It worked a couple of days ago.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Thanks!

Don
    I've used the new beta uploader several times and it has worked perfectly each time.

I'm running Windows XP with Firefox 1.05. (It also worked fine with Firefox 1.04)

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    OSX/IE failed on two systems

James.
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    When you browse away from the referring window, the upload stops, and will leave a partially uploaded JPG.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 18, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:

James.
    Apple has made it a true pain in the butt to use embedded Java in any browser but Safari. I guess it is one of those anti-competition things. Safari will work fine, and Firefox will work fine with a plugin. I don't know if the plugin will fix IE though:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/javaplugin/

Download the zip file, then drag the two things in the "binaries" folder into this folder:
    /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Then see if it works. Good luck!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:

James.

Thanks for the feedback, but...

IE 5.x is shortly going to be unsupported by smugmug. Anything in Beta now can safely be assumed to be "as is" when it comes to IE5, including this uploader.

If it doesn't work, we're not going to fix it.

Don
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 18, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Ouch, that sounds harsh. umph.gif

Unfortunately, Microsoft said it two years before we did, and it's their product:
    June 13, 2003. Mac IE as we know it just died. Microsoft pulled the plug on further development of a standalone version. It is a sad moment, seeing a pretty good browser leave the scene. To the developers of Mac IE, Tantek Çelik, Jimmy Grewal and others: thanks. Thanks for being the first, more than 3 years ago, to develop a quality browser with very decent support for webstandards. Your counterparts over at Windows IE still haven’t managed to do most of this. Eric Meyer resumes the historical significance of IE Mac.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback, but...

IE 5.x is shortly going to be unsupported by smugmug. Anything in Beta now can safely be assumed to be "as is" when it comes to IE5, including this uploader.

Don
    11doh.gif I knew that, but for some reason in a rush to do talk someone through a upload I fergot about it. They didn't have Safari loaded on the system in question only IE. eek7.gif So I tested on one I had in front of me and never thought about it being 5.x.

James.

P.S. I think you can understand that one, my desk has OS 9, OS X, Win 98, XP, 2K, 2003 server, Fedora, Red Hat, NT 4, and Novell all running on it, sometimes I forget the little stuff.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    New uploader should be signed by a company I know
    onethumb wrote:
    We need some testing done on a new uploader codebase we're evaluating. Other feedback is useful, but we haven't done any UI work at all, so that's of less use than what platforms work.
    One point of feedback on the beta Java uploader. When running the uploader, you get one of the Java signing certificate prompts. If there's no way to get this prompt to go away, then it seems like this code needs to be signed by Smugmug, not by some company I've never heard of called "Rad Ink" or something like that. I am not willing to trust companies that I've never heard of. I am willing to trust smugmug as they are an ongoing company that I have a business relationship with.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ndsimmndsimm Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    One point of feedback on the beta Java uploader. When running the uploader, you get one of the Java signing certificate prompts. If there's no way to get this prompt to go away, then it seems like this code needs to be signed by Smugmug, not by some company I've never heard of called "Rad Ink" or something like that. I am not willing to trust companies that I've never heard of. I am willing to trust smugmug as they are an ongoing company that I have a business relationship with.

--John
    I get a few java based errors every now and then, but it works 80% of the time for me. The limit I've seen is about 350-400mb. I wish it was faster, but it's still better than 100mb at a time. As for the Java permission, there should be an option to always allow and you should be fine