Options

A new catchall thread

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 29, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm exiled for two weeks, so y'all are gonna have to keep me company here in solitary confinement.

Since we did so well on brownies, anybody have any great recipes for large quantities of cherries and/or mulberries? I'm currently planning jelly/jam for both of them, but I'm open to suggestions. Bring it on!

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm exiled for two weeks, so y'all are gonna have to keep me company here in solitary confinement.

Since we did so well on brownies, anybody have any great recipes for large quantities of cherries and/or mulberries? I'm currently planning jelly/jam for both of them, but I'm open to suggestions. Bring it on!

We could talk music too. I studied Vocal Performance and Musical Theatre at OCU in the 1980's. Haven't performed for ages. Dad was at Westminster Choir College before heading into teaching and conducting. I'm guessing you might know a relative of mine as well. She's been in the legit music scene in NYC since the 1960's. Choral, Opera, Church.

(I'll also go check if I've got any other recipes I'm willing to share :D )
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Hmm, no. But I'm getting pretty good at making omelets! rolleyes1.gif

My preferred method is the one shown by Julia Child in her now (in?)famous Omelet Show, which is available on DVD at your finer local libraries. Well worth tracking down. thumb.gif

Her method* involves heating butter in a nonstick pan until it stops foaming, vigorously (!) swirling the pan to distribute the egg mixture (eggs, salt, pepper, and a small amount of water. NO DAIRY!), then flipping-pulling the pan to fold the omelet in over itself in a neat roll, and overturning it onto a plate. The result should be a smooth golden crescent of scrambled egg, with a more custard-like interior of scrambled egg.

I find trying to fill an omelet prior to rolling it to be too fussy. Instead, I prefer to make the omelet, cut a slit in the top of it, and add my filling that way. Crumbled feta cheese and diced tomato is my fav so far. :eat

*At the start of the episode, she says words to the effect that there are many many ways to make an omelet, but her method is the most fun.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    We could talk music too. I studied Vocal Performance and Musical Theatre at OCU in the 1980's. Haven't performed for ages. Dad was at Westminster Choir College before heading into teaching and conducting. I'm guessing you might know a relative of mine as well. She's been in the legit music scene in NYC since the 1960's. Choral, Opera, Church.

(I'll also go check if I've got any other recipes I'm willing to share :D )

Hmmm... brownies, Westminster Choir College... I'm seeing a Yankee connection here - Ozzies in the US or the other way around? :D PM me some names - I think you're probably right!

At the moment here in the US classical music in general and Operaland in particular is in dire straits - it's happening all over the countgry, but my area has been particularly hard hit: since December 2 major choral societies have gone on indefinite hiatus, and the symphonies are barely holding on by their fingernails, and we've completely lost 2 opera companies and the third local biggie (one of country's larger international "A" level houses) canceled productions and hugely scaled back the season. I think it's up to about 12 opera companies (of all sizes and statures) folded or on indefinite hiatus. Definitely not a pretty time to be a singer!

And yes, more recipes please - that brownies recipe is a huge hit! We made the full batch as an end-of-year gift for my daughter's teachers, so we enjoyed the sticky goodness again last week :D
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Hmm, no. But I'm getting pretty good at making omelets! rolleyes1.gif

:lol

Btw, I absolutely LOVE your tagline - that's hilarious!
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    :lol

Btw, I absolutely LOVE your tagline - that's hilarious!

That is absolutely hilarious. Someone needs to create a smily to go with that.

Divamum, PM will be sent soon. Raised in texas, so not really yankee (but I lived in Boston for a decade). Still a number of yankee connections.

You'll need to control your production of the brownies. It's been known to spiral out of control. It is one of the best chocolate-fix recipes in the world.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    I now understand, seeing you are doing the next DSS why you say your in exhile. I would see that refered to but did not get it.headscratch.gif Well it takes a bit beating about the head to get things to sink in here.

I do make a mean omelet, not much on brownies. But am well know through out the land for Dad's Chocolate Chip cookies and French Toast . hey both of those could work in #28 oops sorry I think I was not supposed to mention that.Please ingnore.
    Musical connections hmmm my father did a radio show for public radio in Baltimore. Big band n Jazz type stuff. Used send me tapes of his shows. Teenager did not appreciate that music at the time being a child of the 60s n 70s
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:

OK, great, I'm a completely lost cause.

My first thought was "brew a beer with cherry in it". Have you ever tried a kriek lambic? :D

Need to think of something fa.. ICECREAM! Take (or make) some vanilla icecream and put it through a mixer with a bunch of cherries. Should be good...
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    If you make cherry ice cream, I'm descending upon your home for my share. mwink.gif
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    oh boy.. confinement and Diva..hmmm.. not a good combination...eek7.gif

I don't have any recipes for jams.. I have 3 peach trees coming in that I am going to have to preserve again.. last year was my first harvest, so I am still new at it too.. put it this way, we ended up with tons of frozen peaches.. canning is not my strength..ne_nau.gif

Kat
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    Ha ha, you're it now........rolleyes1.gif I can now read anything I want to read, anywhere, anytime..... Have a nice 14 days in lockup!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Ha ha, you're it now........rolleyes1.gif I can now read anything I want to read, anywhere, anytime..... Have a nice 14 days in lockup!

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:

Yes, but remember that I came and visited to offer succour in your isolation..... rolleyes1.gif

Pyry, last time I made mulberry jam (2 years ago - last time we had enough of a crop to make it worthwhile) it didn't set that well (learning curve! More pectin for mulberries...) and wound up as kind of a coulis which was DEELISSH served over (home made) ice cream :D This year I'm considering another batch of mulberry wine (with port to jazz it up) and just saw a good recipe online for sour cherry jam w/kirsch. Thankfully our neighbours had ZILLIONS this year, and they don't like pitting them and were delighted to pass them on to us! Yum.

Oh, and yes, I've heard of Kriek. LOVE. IT. There's a US version made by Sam Adams called Cherry Wheat, and it's our favorite!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    And provide succour you did...

Actually, I had a great time at an HJ show in Jacksonville this past weekend. I was helping a friend of mine who has a really well established business, only mostly in dressage, to do his first hj show in about 15 years. He had forgotten a lot of things, such as that the number follows the horse even if there may be 3 different riders on the steed over the weekend... (in eventing, at 3PM Friday, if anyone but the entered rider is seen on the horse, the rider is eliminated, except that a groom may walk the horse back to the barn..)

I provide herewith some eye-candy from the weekend:

More bars in more places.. Keeping the eye open for these situations:
    565460921_5qFSk-S.jpg

A nice round at the "Nervous Novice 2-3" level:
    565461831_aXdDJ-S.jpg
    (Notice the nice loose rein.. Just leave this horse by the office, and I'll take care of her from there thank you..)

Very nice job from this rider dropping her weight to allow the horse to
    raise his own:
    565461895_5Ssnp-S.jpg

Nice ride by this kid, but needs to learn to drop more for higher levels:
    565462047_jgT72-S.jpg
    (If I get a good shot on round 1, I shoot the jump-off at 1/60
    to get some different shots, but you see how shooting slow speed
    only shows off the dirt on my sensor...)

More 1/60 with an eventer (notice the more defensive position) trying her hand in the Jumper ring:
    565462818_2TZEd-S.jpg

Showing respect for the judge on a 90 degee day in a Classic class:
    565462736_RDPHk-S.jpg

"D700 Daddy" (not me..) complete with tripod for the day:
    565460512_N8dtc-S.jpg
    (Oh Mr. OP, how exactly do I use this thing now??? Was I in your way?? No sir, that's YOUR daughter out there, so I'm in YOUR way...)

So my dear, enjoy and keep sane!
    Mark
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Thankyouthankyou! I'm hot on the trail of the Cherry Jam project so have plenty to do, but it's also the first week of school vacation, all Littl'un's friends are ON vacation and I'm getting the "I'm booooOOOoooored" litany already rolleyes1.gif
    HoofClix wrote:
    in eventing, at 3PM Friday, if anyone but the entered rider is seen on the horse, the rider is eliminated, except that a groom may walk the horse back to the barn..)

I totally didn't know that. It's a good rule, though, given the horse-rider team nature of eventing.
    I provide herewith some eye-candy from the weekend:

More bars in more places.. Keeping the eye open for these situations:
    565460921_5qFSk-S.jpg

Colour me dumb, but what the heck are they doing???!! rolleyes1.gif
    A nice round at the "Nervous Novice 2-3" level:
    565461831_aXdDJ-S.jpg

Wow - that guy sure gives himself some clearance! Is he used to jumping bigger?(what're these, 3'-3'3" ish?). Wow he's nice and round over the top. She needs to be careful with that leg slipping back, however (that was my bete noir on one side - the other was fine, but one leg would always try to creep back. Never did figure out why!)

Nice ride by this kid, but needs to learn to drop more for higher levels:
    565462047_jgT72-S.jpg
    (If I get a good shot on round 1, I shoot the jump-off at 1/60
    to get some different shots, but you see how shooting slow speed
    only shows off the dirt on my sensor...)

:giggle re: sensor rolleyes1.gif

INteresting position on this one - I suspect that the fact she is short from knee to ankle is part of it, but I'd like to see her hands a little softer and released down the neck further to let him round up more - he's fine over this but I'm guessing might not like staying this flat over something higher. She looks super well balanced, though - may not be "textbook" but if this single moment is an indication, she's got it well together. He's glorious - looks like he has a wonderful attitude from that shot!
    Showing respect for the judge on a 90 degee day in a Classic class:
    565462736_RDPHk-S.jpg

Oh boy do I remember that! They might have given us "permission" to ride without jackets, but vanity always won over comfort!! I want to pull her elbows in (does nobody use George Morris 101 and "rest on the neck" for show ring hunters any more? Maybe it was a west coast thing... dunno...)
    "D700 Daddy" (not me..) complete with tripod for the day:
    (Oh Mr. OP, how exactly do I use this thing now??? Was I in your way?? No sir, that's YOUR daughter out there, so I'm in YOUR way...)

BWAAAHHHHAA! THat's hilarious. It must be sooo much worse now that everybody can try their hand at it with a decent digital dslr.

Thanks for the serious eye candy - I'm slavering!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Hey, all you horse people:
    Can someone please explain to me what it is that "dropping" yourself close to the horse's neck whilst jumping accomplishes? Yeah, I know it must make it easier for the horse and rider, but how? Lower center of gravity?

But if you drop yourself too far, won't you fall as the horse descends?

This is all new to me.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Can someone please explain to me what it is that "dropping" yourself close to the horse's neck whilst jumping accomplishes? Yeah, I know it must make it easier for the horse and rider, but how? Lower center of gravity?

This is all new to me.

I haven't been taught to do that yet, but I'm guessing:

1) the horse doesn't have to lift you as high, so it's an easier jump to make
    2) you can get back into posture on the way down, before the horse hits the ground.

I sooo need to get jumping... I've got a weekend of starter-level eventing in a month and a half. :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

This is all new to me.

Many schools of thought on this.

In the 1960s/70s, George Morris came up with a slightly different approach to basic equitation codified in his book "Hunter Seat Equitation". It pretty much revolutionized how equitation was approached and judged in the show ring, and (afaik) the impact remains to this day.

The big thing he explicitly changed was adopting a very organised "forward seat" approach: instead of leaning backwards over the fence, shoving your feet out in front of you to keep your balance (think of a Stubbs hunting portrait style), you keep your joints loose, maintaining the hip->heel line in the air that you would have on the ground and "fold up" your joints as the horse rises, ideally keeping a flat back as you do so, and come up back into the saddle as you descend, all in one smooth, fluid motion.

This moves your hands forward to free the horse's neck to reach as he needs to (kids are actually first taught to park their hands actually ON the neck, even if the reins go loose, and gradually learn how to keep their hands off the reins and horse's mouth even when they're sustaining their balance without help from the neck as they get stronger and more proficient). It keeps your weight OFF the horses's forehand as he's lifting his front end off the ground, gives him more freedom to round his back and stretch his neck in the air as needed, and allows the animal's own momentum/motion to help you into a balanced position which helps him. It's smoother, there's less wasted motion and it's generally "prettier" than the arms and legs flailing around which often was inherent in the more old-school style.

Actually, if you ever watch international show jumping, you can totally see how many (?most) American riders get their start in hunter/equitation style: even at Olympic level - HIGH fences! - they're still sitting quietly, good leg positions on the ground and in the air, even length of stride and rhythmic cadence around the course with very quiet seat and hands.... Hunters/eq sometimes gets a rap for being shallow and only "pretty pretty" (compared to jumpers and eventing) but I do think that discipline in even-ness, quiet-ness and simplicity can be a great foundation even when you move into the less "stylistic" forms of the sport.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Bottom line is that the horse has only so much power in his/her upward launch. If the rider folds at the hips during the actual moment of launch, it lowers the center of gravity of the horse/rider combo, allowing the chest of the horse to be a bit higher. Coming out of the jump one must unfold on time to raise your center before the hooves land. If your feet get back behind that girth and you haven't unfolded, you're coming off the frint end. The horse still has to get thos hind legs over in the middle of all of this. That's the physics of it. That kid almost laying on the neck is doing that most correctly here. Her leg position is what I call "trusting," or "offensive." She trusts her horse will not stop. The one kid sitting up is in a more cautious or "defensive" posture as her horse was a bit more skeptical on this day.. This is the jumper ring of coures, where there really isn't any judgement on form. All that matters is if the pole stays up and how fast you went. Divavum, I think you were a "Hunter," where form and flow would also be judged subjectively, like a figure skating round......
    Mark
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    Divavum, I think you were a "Hunter," where form and flow would also be judged subjectively, like a figure skating round......

Yup, that I was - I did some jumpers here and there for fun, but I just enjoyed hunters/eq more (and never really liked the pressure of knowing that if I missed my distance on a 4ft fence I was likely to get hurt rather than simply look like an idiot who couldn't count strides... rolleyes1.gif)

Linda, one common problem while learning is getting "ahead of the motion" ie anticipating the forward jumping position before the horse takes off which can often cause horse to stop: in the air, the balance the forward seat position creates is great; moving to it too soon puts extra weight on the horse's front end so it's harder for them to lift off (sometimes impossible). The trick is not to anticipate the jump, but using the horse's own momentum as he lifts off to propel you into that position smoothly and at just the right time. It's all very easy and natural when it's right, but it does take some time and discipline (mental and physical) to learn how to coordinate it comfortably!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    My canning career:

9 jars of sour cherry
    7 jars of mulberry+port wine
    3 very sticky saucepans
    2 trips to Walmart to buy extra Pectin since nothing set the first time out
    1 messy kitchen

I think life was easier when I was amusing myself taking challenge photos.... :crazyrolleyes1.gifpatch:giggle
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    Thankyouthankyou! I'm hot on the trail of the Cherry Jam project so have plenty to do, but it's also the first week of school vacation, all Littl'un's friends are ON vacation and I'm getting the "I'm booooOOOoooored" litany already rolleyes1.gif

oh boy do I know this tune..... I homeschool.... I hear it all the time...................eek7.gif

so how's lock up? are they feeding you decent? :ivar
    Maybe we can slide something under the door for ya...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    Hoofclix, Pyry and Divamum, thanks for your detailed replies regarding my question about jumping. Never realized what a delicate balance the whole thing is. I love watching equestrian events on TV and now I know a little more about what goes into the mechanics of the teamwork between horse and rider.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Cherry recipes...
    my immediate thought was cherry chocolate cake or cherry pie... it's the baker in me, i guess!

found this chocolate cherry cake recipe on allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cherry-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx

as i am a purist about food, i, of course, have to cast a scowl toward anything in a recipe such as 'canned pie filling', as seen in this recipe. fortunately, you have plenty of cherries, so you could make the filling yourself. :D

here's one for cherry pie: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Cherry-Pie/Detail.aspx

unfortunately this has 'optional red food coloring', which gets another purist dissapproving look :nah i have a wonderful recipe for pie crust if you're interested.

and now for something completely different: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Tenderloin-with-Tart-Cherry-Port-and-Caraway-Sauce-14175 . i don't know whether you eat pork (or any meat at all - i would probably try this with tempeh, myself), but i've seen some variations on a cherry-port-citrus glaze out there with both sweet and tart cherries. could be interesting!

anyway, i'm sure there's a ton of ideas out there! i better stop or i could go looking at recipes all day and then stop by the local produce store on my way homeand pick up 15 pounds of cherries :)

also, i've only tried jam/preserves twice - once with blueberries and once with strawberries. i only used the fruit and sugar, no pectin or anything (there goes the purist in me again!) and found that your cooking time is really what affects the gelling. you can test it by putting a spoonful on a chilled plate and then sticking it in the fridge for a few minutes. if it cools and is liquidy, keep cooking. if it cools and it gels, you're done!

have a wonderful adventure in the kitchen - you could post photos of all your progress!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Hoofclix, Pyry and Divamum, thanks for your detailed replies regarding my question about jumping. Never realized what a delicate balance the whole thing is. I love watching equestrian events on TV and now I know a little more about what goes into the mechanics of the teamwork between horse and rider.

And as we exhibited, there are a wide range of opinions on what's what as well as how's how...
    Mark
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2009
    Diva, due today if you want to organize a photowalk. this should take up the rest of your day:D

http://worldwidephotowalk.com/

heres mine:

i have 12 already rsvp (though they are not showing yet on the map)
    http://worldwidephotowalk.com/toroweap-grand-canyon-arizona-az-usa/
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    Diva, due today if you want to organize a photowalk. this should take up the rest of your day:D

http://worldwidephotowalk.com/

heres mine:

i have 12 already rsvp (though they are not showing yet on the map)
    http://worldwidephotowalk.com/toroweap-grand-canyon-arizona-az-usa/

Whoops -t hought I'd replied to this when I read it yesterday, but obviously not!

COOOOOOLLLL!! Unfortunately, the ones in my area are full. I might well have done that if I'd known a litttle sooner! Do post your own results, Aaron thumb.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    too late now... i was meaning that you should lead a Photowalk.....
    you have what it takesthumb.gif ... maybe next year....ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    So,,, how is lock up Diva?

You can't say I did not come visit you in prison.. well? any juicy details about how life is going.? give us something.. anything.....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Hows the Jam coming along? got any pics?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2009
    I should send you a piece of the cherry-chocolate-chip pound cake my daughter made this afternoon.......:eat :food binge.gif :snore
    Mark
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2009
    Mmm.... cherry chocolate chip...

Final reckoning on the jam was one big batch of regular cherry, one batch of mulberry/port jelly, and one big batch of cherry... after the cherries had been soaking in brandy for an hour or so :D Yum. I have a small number of cherries yet, which need to be used up fast or they'll go off entirely. I'm thinking ice cream may be the order of the day..... :D:D:D:D

In answer to your question, Kat, life in photographic lockup is just about bearable although life in general (read: Operaland) is a pretty grim place right now in this craptastic year. More opera companies in trouble (there's a huge to-do in Milwaukee at the moment, for any of you who might live there, although that one is more management unrest than financial catastrophe) and because the expected "structure" of the arts industry is imploding, everybody's kind of in freefall with a degree of randomness mereging from the chaos that's very unsettling. It's been hard enough to cope personally (artistically and financially) with all the cancellations as companies go under, but watching the entire business come unglued is pretty painful Yesterday was just a really bad day, adding Drama Following The Death of A Fish (hey, when you're 11 these things matter), still MORE rain, the events here at dgrin (no, they didn't effect me directly, but I'm fond of this place and don't like seeing that kind of conflict, especially knowing under what pressure it put the mods - Kerry, correct prepositional usage just for you) and just general yukkiness. So I'm presently booking the Pity Party, table of one rolleyes1.gif

On a plus note, I did have a fun shoot with a friend in the few hours of SUNLIGHT that we've seen in the last month - we had a good time, and the light was teh YUM! Images here.