Options

Buying used lenses in NYC

mamathmamath Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 13, 2009 in Accessories
Hello everyone,

I am travelling to NYC in few days and intend to take advantage of the strenght of the Euro to get the lens that obsesses me: the canon ef-s 10 - 22mm.

I can buy it new at B&H or Adorama, but it would be even more interseting ti find a used one. (Neither B&H, nor Adorama have one in their used section).

Does anyone know good, reliable places in NYC to buy used lenses ?

Many thanks for your help !

Cheers.

Mathieu

PS: I am new to this forum so please forgive me if I posted in the wrong section

Comments

• Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Adorama is usually the go-to place. You can also try craigslist.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/
  • Options
    Ltlouis96Ltlouis96 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2009
    try www.JR.com and compare the price ..i got my 105mm macro lens cheaper there...

it's downtown manhattan by city hall
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    B&H and Adorama has more used stuff than what is on their website. Walk in to their used department and ask.

My friend did that and was able to buy something from B&H that was not listed on their website. He told me the sales people don't list used items as quickly as they get them. Sometimes it sells before they have to list it.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Adorama is usually the go-to place. You can also try craigslist.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/
    Not in a million years would I buy camera gear off Craigslist. Personally, I wouldn't buy used gear from anyone but a reputable dealer who might stand behind it if there were a problem, but even it that weren't the case, I'd try Dgrin first, e-Bay second and craigslist last.
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    KED wrote:
    Not in a million years would I buy camera gear off Craigslist. Personally, I wouldn't buy used gear from anyone but a reputable dealer who might stand behind it if there were a problem, but even it that weren't the case, I'd try Dgrin first, e-Bay second and craigslist last.

To each is own. I prefer Craigslist for used gear over Internet purchasing since I can get hands-on with it prior to purchase. Have bought two bodies and have zero complaints. In fact I'm still in touch with both people I bought them from and have even gone shooting with one of them. It's also a great way to meet other photographers.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    KED wrote:

I buy glass off Craigslist all the time. There are some great deals to be had there because people get bored with hobbies and just want to get rid of stuff or they inherit equipment and are unsure of its value. I've gotten Minolta Beercans (70-210 f/4) for $75 and 50mm f/1.7 for $50 before.

I just make sure the person knows that when I meet them I'm going to want to test the lens. This includes taking pictures, putting them on the laptop on site and carefully evaluating them. If the lens is in bad shape I won't buy it.
  • Options
    stradivariusstradivarius Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2009
    Adorama is where I got my D90. I traded in a very used D70 with a scratched 35-70mm lens, which were both hand-me downs, and got a decent trade-in, so I couldn't refuse. The staff is very slick. Mine tried to throw in an extra UV filter and then an extra memory card when that didn't work. Just be very careful on how they ring you up.