Two great articles on theatrical headshots

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in People
Just came across these articles aimed at actors, but also containing some very useful info for photographers. They're three years old thus some styling points mentioned have changed slightly, but it's still verrrrry relevant information IMO. (Interesting to me personally that opera in 2009 is about where actors were in 2006 - no surprise, but interesting to see it confirmed by these 3-yr-old examples!)

Well worth a read and a click through the examples.

Bad Headshots, Good Headshots (link to examples at bottom of column)
Bad Headshots, Good Headshots II

Comments

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Started reading and looks like some good stuff in there!! Thanks so much for sharing, that's that dgrin is all about clap.gifclap
    //Leah
  • Mike CurtisMike Curtis Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    Started reading and looks like some good stuff in there!! Thanks so much for sharing, that's that dgrin is all about clap.gifclap

I found the articles interesting, and having looked at Kevyn Major Howard's work in the past, I can't help but wonder who's right. To look at Kevyn's site, and all the raves about him, you'd think the ultra close cropping was the way to go, but to read the article above, it would sound like that was not the case. Kevyn routinely crops faces tight, sometimes to the point of actually cropping an eyebrow, yet the raves and reviews on his site make him out to be the "go to" guy for acting/modeling headshots. I do like his work, but much of his lighting is very flat. From what I understand, he shoots a lot of his headshots in open shade, like that of an open garage door, etc.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    I found the articles interesting, and having looked at Kevyn Major Howard's work in the past, I can't help but wonder who's right. To look at Kevyn's site, and all the raves about him, you'd think the ultra close cropping was the way to go, but to read the article above, it would sound like that was not the case. Kevyn routinely crops faces tight, sometimes to the point of actually cropping an eyebrow, yet the raves and reviews on his site make him out to be the "go to" guy for acting/modeling headshots. I do like his work, but much of his lighting is very flat. From what I understand, he shoots a lot of his headshots in open shade, like that of an open garage door, etc.

Well, the author is just one opinion, of course, although as a casting director an authoritative opinion, which is always useful to read. You do raise an interesting question, though, which leads me to wonder ... are photographers driving the trends, or responding to them?

I personally like a tight-ish crop (noticeably tighter than the more traditional 8x10 bw headshot of 10 years ago), but I have to say I find some of KMH's too tight because they actually lead me out of the frame and wondering where the rest is. I do very much like his lighting style in general and what he does for sparkly eyes - they're "grab you" shots, which is what you need.

Interesting stuff.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Great reads. Thanks for posting them Diva.

Mike, I got the sense that the author would like the KMH style headshot. The tight cropping was suggested, but she does not like cropping "too" tight. This is clearly a personal judgement call.

When you look at the examples, I couldn't help but be struck by the crops. The crops preferred by the author all had a KMH style to them. Particularly the horizontal series.

We've had good discussions here on what makes a good headshot. I've been happy to hear Diva's opinion since she sees both sides of the equation as a performer and a photographer. Diva has been championing these types of headshots despite having several opponents of the genre.

Personally, I like this style and try to emulate this lighting and cropping in my own headshots. It's nice to hear an opinion that they are effective.

YMMV!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Great reads. Thanks for posting them Diva.

Mike, I got the sense that the author would like the KMH style headshot. The tight cropping was suggested, but she does not like cropping "too" tight. This is clearly a personal judgement call.

When you look at the examples, I couldn't help but be struck by the crops. The crops preferred by the author all had a KMH style to them. Particularly the horizontal series.

We've had good discussions here on what makes a good headshot. I've been happy to hear Diva's opinion since she sees both sides of the equation as a performer and a photographer. Diva has been championing these types of headshots despite having several opponents of the genre.

Personally, I like this style and try to emulate this lighting and cropping in my own headshots. It's nice to hear an opinion that they are effective.

YMMV!

Beautifully put, Mitchell. thumb.gif

A performer/photog friend believes the tight crops have grown in part from the trend for online casting - youl'l note that the article stresses the need for shots to look great as thumbnails as well as 8x10's, so I guess folks started cropping 'em down to fit better.

I do continue to wonder, however, how these changes in styles evolve. I have no doubt that the switch to digital must play into it along with electronic submissions, and I guess cinematographic and fashion-shoot styles are part of it too. But it still begs the question whether the "name" photographers are driving the style so everybody else follows suit to keep up with trends, or whether photogs are responding to requests from clients for shots in a particular style that's considered more "current". I guess it's not limited to headshots either - PJ-style weddings vs formals, on-location senior portraits vs formal velvet-draped studio shots etc etc. It will be interesting to see where styles go next.... headscratch.gif:D
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    trends
    The requirements on the West Coast are different than the East Coast.

Trends usually change the style back to what was old at some point. Think fashions - the 40's 50's and beyond usually add their mark on the current trends - hemlines, fabrics, jewelery.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com