Options

how do i remove the hand tool

Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi folks, I'm using Photoshop CS3 extended version, and I can't remove the hand tool from my image. Let me clarify: it's not stationary. I can move the hand tool around my image, what I mean is that I cannot select other tools. I click on my brush tool, or clone tool and then move back to my image and it's still showing the hand tool. I've tried rebooting Photoshop, but that's not working. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20

Comments

• Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Hi Stacey,

Have you tried a restart of your computer?

Can't think of anything else to suggest right now...

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    I haven't tried restarting my computer, but I did restart Photoshop. Did I hit a key by mistake or something?

Thanks for answering.
    Don Kondra wrote:
    Hi Stacey,

Have you tried a restart of your computer?

Can't think of anything else to suggest right now...

Cheers, Don
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    Hard to say what your compfuser is doing, or what you did to it.....

Starting fresh cures a lot of weird behavior.

Just out of curiousity, do you leave it on 24/7, run a virus program and/or do any preventative maintenance?

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    I do have an antivirus, but don't know how to do any preventive maintenance on the software itself.
    Stacey L wrote:
    I haven't tried restarting my computer, but I did restart Photoshop. Did I hit a key by mistake or something?

Thanks for answering.
    Stacey

• Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    Let's leave that for now.

Did you restart the computer?

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited May 31, 2009
    This problem has been reported by others. Solutions seem to include: restarting your system; deleting and recreating PS preference file; checking that PS has sufficient memory (and closing other programs if necessary); making sure the space bar isn't stuck; spinning around three times while whistling Yankee Doodle, etc. I have never seen a definitive answer, but if you Google "Photoshop Hand Tool Stuck" you will get lots of things to try.

Let us know what solves the problem for you. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    Thanks, I will give it a go.

Richard wrote:
    This problem has been reported by others. Solutions seem to include: restarting your system; deleting and recreating PS preference file; checking that PS has sufficient memory (and closing other programs if necessary); making sure the space bar isn't stuck; spinning around three times while whistling Yankee Doodle, etc. I have never seen a definitive answer, but if you Google "Photoshop Hand Tool Stuck" you will get lots of things to try.

Let us know what solves the problem for you. deal.gif
    Stacey

• Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Stacey,

I have had the same problems every now and then. All I do is just restart the computer. Easy fix.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Out of curiosity - were you working on something like Merge to HDR or Photomerge in Photoshop when this happened?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    Yeah, it's kind of inconvenient when you're in the middle of a project, but I'll remember the restart method.

Thank you,
    wildviper wrote:
    Stacey,

I have had the same problems every now and then. All I do is just restart the computer. Easy fix.
    Stacey

• Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    Nope, I wasn't doing anything like that. Just working on a regular jpeg.
    RogersDA wrote:
    Out of curiosity - were you working on something like Merge to HDR or Photomerge in Photoshop when this happened?
    Stacey

• Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Stacey L wrote:
    Yeah, it's kind of inconvenient when you're in the middle of a project, but I'll remember the restart method.

Thank you,

what I have been able to do is keyboard press CTRL-S (on a PC) and save the file before restarting.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    You didn't specify which o/s you're using, but assuming it's Windoze, have you checked the TaskManager to see what's hogging all the CPU time, and whether it's kernel or user? Has it just started showing these symptoms?

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 2, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    You didn't specify which o/s you're using, but assuming it's Windoze, have you checked the TaskManager to see what's hogging all the CPU time, and whether it's kernel or user? Has it just started showing these symptoms?

- Wil

I didn't see anything in this thread that suggests it's a CPU issue. TaskMan might give a clue, but it takes a hard core geek to interpret it.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    Hi, it's windows and no I haven't checked the task manager. I don't even know how to do that. It's just started having these symptoms.
    Wil Davis wrote:

- Wil
    Stacey

• Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    I think so too. I'm not having a problem running other applications, just PS
    Richard wrote:
    I didn't see anything in this thread that suggests it's a CPU issue. TaskMan might give a clue, but it takes a hard core geek to interpret it.
    Stacey

• Options
    HolrynHolryn Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2009
    Hi Stacey,

I'm new to DGrin, but I've had this problem before and it took me ages to find out how to resolve it.

Strangely enough all you need to do is press the space bar - this toggles the hand tool and the previous tool.

No idea why but there you go.

Hope it helps.

Paul
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Richard wrote:

You're absolutely right, but I've seen similar symptoms on an overloaded machine where something else grabbing all the time makes whatever you're doing in PS seem to hang, or makes the cursor freeze. In PS7 the hand-tool is activated momentarily by holding the space-bar; I didn't think it toggled, but perhaps it does in later versions.

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    johnadverdjohnadverd Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2009
    Usually something like this is done using mostly the Clone Stamp Tool, along with a little Healing Brush work. For larger areas, such as the tile in this image
    The 'hand is used for moving the photo around, which it does, but how do I remove it so that I can do other things to the photo?
    hand tool on the tools box and it is getting really annoying. I tried clicking the hand tool icon in the tool box to make it go away but it won't....How do I fix this arguments,
    Sometimes this is to blame when you've got odd tools popping up in Photoshop. Is it automatically switching to that tool, or is it pulling it out of the toolbox into its own floating menu?