edited October 13, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
make it simple, i'm just one guy :bash

:andy

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    Strangers in new places.

One thing I love about photography is getting out of the house, meeting new people and seeing new places.

I think it would be fun to have a contest where you go to a new place, or meet someone new. Share the photo, and tell the story.

What do you think?

Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    yup. i call them candids, too ;) check this out..
    http://www.pbase.com/stfchallenge/challenge_64

a contest i recently hosted.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    re Suggestions re assignments
    Andy, if the one you posted on pbase, I think it was, had to do with getting out and meeting and photographing your neighbors, I think that is a great idea.

My husband could walk the dogs, as he does anyway, and I could get off the couch, or the computer, to go with him, actually meet "neighbors" and take their pictures. And other dogs, too.

Etc. I think that is a great idea.

ginger jones
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2004
    - unusual food (not the normal lettuce, apples, cans of soup stuff...emphasis on UNUSUAL)

- flying things

- texture

- things smaller than 1" (time to practice macro shots...might have to pluck the petals off some flowers to get the target under 1")

- insects (kind of creepy but I bet we'd get some cool entries!)
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    - abrasive (but not your drunken inlaws) :D

- while on the water (picture must be taken while on the water...boat, kayak, wading, floating, swimming...)

- fishing-related

- something you made

- lunch

- cloud(s)

- pets

- dangling

- patterns

- behind the scenes

- emotion (posed pics excluded...capture an actual emotion in progress)
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2004
    - scenes from a flea market (or antique show, garage sale [boot sale for the UK folks I think])

- watercraft

- people in uniform

- crowd scene
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2004
    andy wrote:
    make it simple, i'm just one guy :bash

:andy
    "Hands &/or Feet"
    Simple and straight forward. A persons hands &/or feet tell the story of their life. In a much different way than the lines and creases etched into their faces-- yet still very telling...

"Paparazzi"
    Photograph someone, or a group of "someones" unaware.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2004
    Andy, it's great to see that you're getting involved. thumb.gif I look forward to some sensible, intelligent subject matter going forward. nod.gif

I'll repeat a suggestion that fell on deaf ears before.

Seems like we have at least a couple of goals in creating and participating in the photo challenges.

One, of course, is to enjoy the opportunity to make good photos and to share them with others.

Another, I think, is to improve our skills as photographers. It is towards that end that I make the following suggestion. Mix into the challenges, the standard lessons of photography courses. That way we can have fun, and learn as well.

For example, make one challenge about composition, using the rule of thirds (I'd suggest the Golden Mean but that makes my head hurt!) Make another challenge about using light to emphasize the subject. Learn how to use depth of field. Things like that. (I've never taken any photography courses, so I'm not the best guy to say what's in a typical syllabus.)

Perhaps others don't share my sense that the challenges can be used as a learning opportunity. If so, fair enough. On the other hand, many members may see this as a golden opportunity to learn basic photography skills in the fun environment of the challenges. I sure hope so!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2004
    Great Idea, Sid!
    Sid:

I think that you may have hit on a good idea. Build some foundation work into the challenge. Seems few of us can hurt from re-emphasizing some of the basics, or the opportunity to gain new knowledge from one or a group who may know just a bit more on the subject, or offer a twist. It never hurts to look back at what we learned and try and build on it.

My nickles worth.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2004
    Ginette, I always admired your wisdom. Now I know why. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginette, I always admired your wisdom. Now I know why. naughty.gif
    Right, Sid...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Andy, it's great to see that you're getting involved. thumb.gif I look forward to some sensible, intelligent subject matter going forward. nod.gif

I'll repeat a suggestion that fell on deaf ears before.

Seems like we have at least a couple of goals in creating and participating in the photo challenges.

One, of course, is to enjoy the opportunity to make good photos and to share them with others.

Another, I think, is to improve our skills as photographers. It is towards that end that I make the following suggestion. Mix into the challenges, the standard lessons of photography courses. That way we can have fun, and learn as well.

For example, make one challenge about composition, using the rule of thirds (I'd suggest the Golden Mean but that makes my head hurt!) Make another challenge about using light to emphasize the subject. Learn how to use depth of field. Things like that. (I've never taken any photography courses, so I'm not the best guy to say what's in a typical syllabus.)

Perhaps others don't share my sense that the challenges can be used as a learning opportunity. If so, fair enough. On the other hand, many members may see this as a golden opportunity to learn basic photography skills in the fun environment of the challenges. I sure hope so!
    Thats another vote for "agree with waxy"

Now that I have a battery grip on my camera, I think I'm all badass and too often forget about basics that I never mastered in the first place.
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    SavannahManSavannahMan Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Did someone already suggest roadkill?
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Ew!!!
    Did someone already suggest roadkill?
    EW!!!
    Could be interesting tho'
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    So this isn't a suggestion for a specific topic, but something came to mind as I was spending 2 hours on one image in photoshop the other day...

Is anyone interested in a "non-manipulated" photo contest?

Let me make it totally clear, I'm not against the wonders of photoshop, but sometimes, I feel like I spend less time out in the street or in the woods composing a good quality shot and more time making decent shots better with x number of fill layers and toning and this and that.

This is more inline with Waxy's suggestion earlier about having topics that force us to rely and fall back on very fundamental principles.

We already have a weekly photoshop challenge too, so its not like an 'as-shot' challenge would take away anyone's chance to be creative in PS as well.

Anyone agree? comments?
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    If you are wondering where I got the "non-manipulated" idea:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/manipulation

notice things like desaturation to b/w are ok... with stipulations. Maybe we could add just that to our submissions: manipulated or not.
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So this isn't a suggestion for a specific topic, but something came to mind as I was spending 2 hours on one image in photoshop the other day...

Is anyone interested in a "non-manipulated" photo contest?

Let me make it totally clear, I'm not against the wonders of photoshop, but sometimes, I feel like I spend less time out in the street or in the woods composing a good quality shot and more time making decent shots better with x number of fill layers and toning and this and that.

This is more inline with Waxy's suggestion earlier about having topics that force us to rely and fall back on very fundamental principles.

We already have a weekly photoshop challenge too, so its not like an 'as-shot' challenge would take away anyone's chance to be creative in PS as well.

Anyone agree? comments?
    Erik,

I think that would be a GREAT idea, except that you have to remember that there are some "Tweeks" that ought to be allowed.

IF you were developing a print in the darkroom, you would have control over the color saturation, contrast, density, lightness, (dodge, burn- these would be pushing the envelope beyond "basic" darkroom tools) and such.
    This does not translate into the use of numerous layers, filters etc that are used to manipulate.
    Most of my basic photos are "naked." In other words I only adjust the levels, warm the colors, and adjust the contrast then post. Altho' of late I have found myself cropping more than I would like... (The photos I pull from my Nikon Coolpix 5700 tend to be cooler than I prefer, so I warm the color a little-- very little, usually less than 6)
    I agree that it would be very helpful to all of us to see if we could actually use the photo as it comes out of the camera, which would mean that we;
    • Crop in the field before shooting the subject
    • Took depth of field into consideration while in the field.
    • Focused with care.
    • Really observed and used the available lighting.
    • Chose the correct F-stop and Shutter speed.
    • And in general used what came out of the camera, with only "basic darkroom" tools.
    Perhaps we should show the "original full negative" and the "print," with each submission.
    I am all for relearning the basics, as I've said before. There is a lot to be gained. Just my thoughts on your idea.
    ginette
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Erik,

I think that would be a GREAT idea, except that you have to remember that there are some "Tweeks" that ought to be allowed.
    Of course... this is exactly what my second post addresses. The photo.net guidelines allow for this kind of "tweaking". It reads almost word for word what you just wrote. Click on that link I posted, you'll find its really quite good and exactly what we're agreeing on.

Erik

• Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Of course... this is exactly what my second post addresses. The photo.net guidelines allow for this kind of "tweaking". It reads almost word for word what you just wrote. Click on that link I posted, you'll find its really quite good and exactly what we're agreeing on.

Erik;
    Done... Yup you're right!
    I saved it!!!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    I think it's worth a try. AS long as we can work the contrast, levels and saturation, I think it makes for a good challenge. One catch - the number of people who heavily photoshop their images is fairly small, I suspect.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I think it's worth a try. AS long as we can work the contrast, levels and saturation, I think it makes for a good challenge. One catch - the number of people who heavily photoshop their images is fairly small, I suspect.
    Sid...
    I'm not so sure about that... I think there are quite a few "frequent PhotoShoppers," among those who regularly participate in the challenges. Some more heavy handed than others...
    I love PhotoShop... But was taught that the goal in using it was that you couldn't tell it had been used. Look through the challenges, and see if you can detect the manipulations.

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    I think Waxy is close to right. Maybe what spurred me on was seeing quite a few submissions that made heavy use of Cletus' concurrent photoshop challenge. For example, this toning one has inspired what I consider some heavy use of layers.

Again, really, reiterate reiterate: I LOVE PS and highly appreciate how much I can learn about using it here on this forum. Photography is art, and PS is just another tool to bring it where the artist wants it.
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    I loved the idea of pathways, because it was an interpretation of an idea that you could photoshop or not. I have been using the shenanigans assignments back and forth, but my most successful, to me, and most obviously photoshopped thing would not work on pathways, even by the broadest interpretation.

Maybe you could have the theme, with rules under the theme. But some of us really do need to learn, hope to learn, I do. I can shoot a straight photograph, have been doing it for years, do the rules of thirds naturally. But if compositon is a problem area for some, then we could do the theme with the underlying composition rules or suggestions worked in.

Uh, I disagree that a photograph should always look natural, sometimes I think it should, or one might want it, to look anything but, and sometimes, one might want to just make a "natural" photograph "pop". One I put in the challenge, for the moment, it just didn't pop, it was bothering me as I really like the idea of the photograph, so I did layer upon layer, and it suddenly felt right, that is where I left it. I would almost defy anyone to pick it out, as it looks the least photoshopped of the photos I have up there, IMO.

Others look photoshopped, I wanted them to.

OK, I don't know anything about masking, would love to. I have no idea what the word levels means. And I can't read a histogram. I am buying one more book, but it really helps me to learn this stuff, and I don't see that it is wrong, or is the same as an assignment like pathways where you can photoshop or not.

I have been wondering about the last black and white ones, would love to know how they were made.

I have not made any suggestions, maybe I should, but I still would like learning to be incorporated, if wanted, into the results. If the rule were blk and white only, there are different ways to get there. I would like to know all of them, and I suppose that is Cletus thing, but I hate the idea of not using what I have learned as the more I use it, the more it is a part of my knowledge base.

Oh, I did say at one point that I would like to meet my neighbors, I just would say that I have changed my mind. I have had enough problems with this last assignment, and one of the scariest things was the people. I have often been around a group of people who definitely do not want their pictures taken. I think I am stealing their souls or something. It is very embarrassing for me, and scary for them. If I have taken their pictures, it has been with an extremely long lens and secretly, otherwise I have promised them that I would not put them in a picture. But I am tired of asking people. It makes my stomach knot up. If my family were here, I would take their pictures, but I would be dependent on strangers pictures, I have discovered that they terrify me. My being almost deaf probably is a factor there.

Sorry for the rant.

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    Ginger...
    I think you have misinterpreted what we are saying, and you may want to go back, to the very beginning of the thread to follow it all. None of us is against PhotoShop. Least of all me... I have been using it since Photoshop 4 was out, and have a true love and respect for what it can do.

We are discussing the possibility of another Challenge. One that would primarily focus on the basics-- methods to build up and improve our general photography talents and skills. So you see, this was not intended to be an "instead of" but rather an "in addition to..."

Photoshop is a very potent tool. When used well it can enhance a photo, change it in thousands of ways both subtle or obvious... But there are times when manipulations actually destroy a photographic image, and turn it into less, rather than more. The line can be gray at first, but then quickly crossed. Nothing would please me more than to be a part of a forum on Photoshop Skills as well. You stated that you know nothing about Levels... You should look at Levels. Adjusting the levels is adjusting the balance of light (whites) to darks (blacks) within any give photo.
    Adjusting the levels is one of the first things you should do, with a photo. (After of course saving the photo as a PSD file, which is the MOST important.) If you look at the Levels Graph of a couple of photos, you will probably notice that on some of the photos, the graph will bunch at either the light, or dark end with none of the graph reaching the opposite end. You want to adjust the slider so that the triangle almost touches the graph. Of course this is just a generality, and there really is much more to it, but if you start with Saving as a PSD File, then adjusting the levels, you are moving in the right direction, right from the start.

Here's a fun one I did...

"Frog Day at the Beach"
    4567246-L.jpg
    How much is Photoshopped? How much is not? Did it help, or hurt? Only the viewer can form that opinion.

Anyway, I hold my viewpoint that along with Sid and Erik, I agree that it would be a good thing to have a challenge for "non-manipulated" photos as well.

I remain,
    ginette

• Options
    edited May 28, 2004
    As usual, Ginette, the kind ambassador does a nice job of clearing things up. I thought about responding to some of Ginger's "rant" but you did it so much better.

Thanks!
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 28, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    As usual, Ginette, the kind ambassador does a nice job of clearing things up. I thought about responding to some of Ginger's "rant" but you did it so much better.
    Thanks!
    Aww Shucks Erik...
    Kind Ambassador?
    You think?
    My family might get a chuckle out of that one!
    But Thank you... I did try...

ginette
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2004
    I find that I concentrate so much on composition that I tend to minimize the importance of light and color. I would like more assignments that force me to concentrate on these fundamentals.

One area where I think I'm especially weak is color. I would very much like to have to focus on color as a subject for a couple of weeks. Could make for some interesting shots. I guess my mind goes, not to a single vivid color, but to a kaleidoscope of colors. I've seen beautiful work like this, and recognize that I'm not even close to having that in my repertoire.

As I walk down a street looking for shots, I always look for shapes and composition, and I must miss hundreds of other opportunities as a result.
    Sid.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2004
    Themes
    Here are my suggestions for next challenges;

Water; rain, rivers, sea..I think it is difficult and a real challenge,
    Black & white portraits,
    Motion/ movement; I really was inspired by the picture of John R: "saying goodbye"!
    People at work.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2004
    Suggestion for new assignment
    Suggestion for new assignment: Freedom

ginger
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2004
    • Available light portraits
    • Twilight or dawn
    • Impossible colors
    • high & low
    • Surprise
    • Degree of difficulty
    • Action
    If not now, when?
This discussion has been closed.