Options

Sigma 150-500mm os f5/6.3 lens

tomcat10tomcat10 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 19, 2009 in Cameras
Hi everyone, This is my first posting I would like to ask for help please I am thinking of adding this lens to my other kit i have a nikon d80 , should i go ahead and buy! opinions most welcome, my thanks in addvance, ( TOMCAT10).

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited May 10, 2009
    Hi tomcat10 and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. I moved your post to the Cameras forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions on every lens in the world here. You might also want to search for previous threads discussing this lens--use the search widget in the main navigation bar at the top. Hint: the Google box there works better. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    tomcat10 wrote:
    Hi everyone, This is my first posting I would like to ask for help please I am thinking of adding this lens to my other kit i have a nikon d80 , should i go ahead and buy! opinions most welcome, my thanks in addvance, ( TOMCAT10).

this lens would be a good addition to any kit especially for a wildlife photog on a crop body......it may not be super shrp on the edges with a FX body but with a DX it should be fantastic.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited May 10, 2009
    Here is our site specific Google search:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+site%3Awww.dgrin.com+%2Bsigma+%2B%22150-500%22&fp=0_TDBcSQxa0

Here are some PBase samples:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/bigmos
    http://www.pbase.com/eastkent64/sigma_150500mm
    http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/sig150500

Note that the Sigma 150-500mm, F5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO lacks the "EX" designation that Sigma uses for its best line of lenses, but in this case I think it is mostly a build quality issue. Optically, the lens seems very capable.

I use the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm, F4-6.3 EX HSM APO (mine is prior to the current "DG" version) and the image quality is very good. I am especially impressed with the lens on the Canon 5D MKII.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Prior to purchasing my Bigma, I tried the 150-500mm and found it to be quite soft. This may be different on a DX system, but I would definitely recommend you rent this one prior to pulling the trigger.

Keep in mind that these big lenses require quite a bit of light and are usually sharpest in the F8 to F9 range.
    They are also very heavy and take a toll when shooting hand held. Your tripod and head also have to be able to support the weight.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 11, 2009
    I own a Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS lens, and I am still in the process of making up my mind about this lens. I used it for wildlife in Yellowstone in last February on a Canon 50D. The build quality is typical matte black Sigma metal barrel.

Like most of these style zooms, I think it is better used between 150-400, and is softer at 500. But these lenses are rarely used at anything less than 500 ( at least that is how I end up using it ) It is soft wide open, but at f8 or f9 it is better, and capable if used carefully - that is to say, on a good tripod. I do not recommend shooting it wide open - Mine is not L glass, but it is handy just the same.

This was captured handheld at f9 1/2500th ISO 200 on a 5D at 198mm focal length

474602237_6Kn9f-L.jpg

Since getting home from Yellowstone, I have played with adjusting the micro focus for this lens on my 50D and I think it will do a bit better at 500mm now. I'll report on that when I have a firmer opinion about it.

It is not as sharp as a Canon 500 f4 IS L - of that I am certain, but it is easier to carry ready to shoot as you walk in a snow field, and will be easier to carry on an airplane. It still requires all the good shooting technique that all long glass needs.

There are other images with this lens in this gallery You will have to check the exif to verify that it was this lens - If it was 500mm it was this Sigma lens. I have a number of images shot with a Canon 300 + 2xtc that will be tagged as 600mm so don't confuse the two.

Please, don't look at that gallery without leaving a comment so I know you were there.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tomcat10tomcat10 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2009
    Hi pathfinder, I have taken a look at your gallery , I am well impressed whith the quality of your photographs (top dollar)! .regards, tomcat10.clap.gif
  • Options
    ntotrrntotrr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Here is our site specific Google search:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+site%3Awww.dgrin.com+%2Bsigma+%2B%22150-500%22&fp=0_TDBcSQxa0

Here are some PBase samples:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/bigmos
    http://www.pbase.com/eastkent64/sigma_150500mm
    http://www.pbase.com/dadas115/sig150500

Note that the Sigma 150-500mm, F5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO lacks the "EX" designation that Sigma uses for its best line of lenses, but in this case I think it is mostly a build quality issue. Optically, the lens seems very capable.

I use the Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm, F4-6.3 EX HSM APO (mine is prior to the current "DG" version) and the image quality is very good. I am especially impressed with the lens on the Canon 5D MKII.

Ziggy, I believe that the build quality of the 150-500mm lens is "EX" however Sigma has changed their lens designation. Any new lens has to have a constant aperture in order to be lableled as "EX". Older lenses that are still produced retain their "EX" designation even tough they don't have a constant aperture like the 50-500mm.
  • Options
    engineerengineer Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 19, 2009
    tomcat10 wrote:
    I just purchased this lens and am still playing with it around home. I've found that it is soft wide open but stopped down even one stop it is quite capable. The image stabilization works quite well. My hand held technique needs some work, but I at present I get 90+% results at 500 mm on my Canon Digital Rebel at 1/100 or faster. At 1/80 it drops to 60-70%. I can get about 10-20% at 1/50. The lens is heavy so you need to relax after a few minutes to avoid fatigue.
    I've also used it on a monopod with good results.
    It is, of course, not an everyday walking around lens. But it adds very useful capabilities to my kit.

Les
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 19, 2009
    You will not be disappointed with a good Nikon prime!

Good choice.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    engineer wrote:
    I just purchased this lens and am still playing with it around home. I've found that it is soft wide open but stopped down even one stop it is quite capable. The image stabilization works quite well. My hand held technique needs some work, but I at present I get 90+% results at 500 mm on my Canon Digital Rebel at 1/100 or faster. At 1/80 it drops to 60-70%. I can get about 10-20% at 1/50. The lens is heavy so you need to relax after a few minutes to avoid fatigue.
    I've also used it on a monopod with good results.
    It is, of course, not an everyday walking around lens. But it adds very useful capabilities to my kit.

Les

Les, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your assessment of the lens. Any images you would like to share? thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2009
    tomcat10 wrote:
    Hi guys,I would like to thank you all for your comments about the 150-500mm sigma lens, I'm afraid the element of dout has got to me ,I have now decided to take the plunge and go for a prime lens, it will be a nikon, used for wild bird photography mostly,from 300mm upwards,your comments will be welcome, regards (tomcat10).

Have you checked out this thread?:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39768
    ziggy53