Options

U10 Basebal

tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited June 4, 2009 in Sports
My daughters team:

1)
531434326_WicMn-O.jpg

2 My midget (only 1 of 4 girls in league)
531434370_hKPpB-O.jpg

3 into a setting sun:
531434382_9z3Qz-O.jpg

531434391_RooPH-O.jpg

531434398_2BTJn-O.jpg

531434408_sTo7F-O.jpg

531434417_iETqE-O.jpg

531434424_8MFYC-O.jpg
Tim
Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60

Comments

• Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    just bumpin all the zero reply posts!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Awesome shots. Great color and DOF. You set the standard very high!
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I gotta try shooting BB one of these days. There are quality photos you got it right.
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    thx to both of you!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I like. Whatever settings or PP you use don the first one is my fav. It looks much different than the rest.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    double_bdouble_b Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    Tim,

I am assuming the D700 is similar to the D300, which I have, regarding picture control settings. I also assume you used a customized one for these shots and others you posted last week?

I ask because I have a setting on my D300 I am finding I am not quite happy with. I used the Vivid setting and upped the sharpening slightly...real original custom huh? hahaha....anyhow I did that to get the unis to pop more but I am finding I don't like the skin tones as much and even though I have set to +.3 exposure in Aperture mode it still seems to underexpose the faces slightly.

I realize my D300 and 80-200 2.8 isn't quite the D700 and 300 2.8 you're shooting with but I think a picture setting change could help.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    double_b wrote:
    Tim,

I am assuming the D700 is similar to the D300, which I have, regarding picture control settings. I also assume you used a customized one for these shots and others you posted last week?

I ask because I have a setting on my D300 I am finding I am not quite happy with. I used the Vivid setting and upped the sharpening slightly...real original custom huh? hahaha....anyhow I did that to get the unis to pop more but I am finding I don't like the skin tones as much and even though I have set to +.3 exposure in Aperture mode it still seems to underexpose the faces slightly.

I realize my D300 and 80-200 2.8 isn't quite the D700 and 300 2.8 you're shooting with but I think a picture setting change could help.

I've settled on PC of Standard, sharpening +6, Sat +1, Hue -1.

I do make extensive use of Auto Dlighting, and use EV to push the faces at times.

Hope this helps...
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I like. Whatever settings or PP you use don the first one is my fav. It looks much different than the rest.

The first one was just full frontal 6pm May sun in the Detroit suburbs!

I rarely do any post other than crop and sharpen. I may tweak exposures in LR, but only if I wasn't fast enough changing the EV in action!

Like you I wish I could bottle that light for all my sports shots....
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    I've settled on PC of Standard, sharpening +6, Sat +1, Hue -1.

I do make extensive use of Auto Dlighting, and use EV to push the faces at times.

Hope this helps...

Yes that helps, I am going to give the settings a shot.

Do you find the DLighting slows down the AF and/or the number os shots in sequence mode?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    double_b wrote:
    Yes that helps, I am going to give the settings a shot.

Do you find the DLighting slows down the AF and/or the number os shots in sequence mode?

I don't notice a focusing issue, but I can guarantee you the fps will slow down some.
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    The first one was just full frontal 6pm May sun in the Detroit suburbs!

I rarely do any post other than crop and sharpen. I may tweak exposures in LR, but only if I wasn't fast enough changing the EV in action!

Like you I wish I could bottle that light for all my sports shots....

I hear ya. I'm so excited because one of the MX tracks that I shoot for is starting their Summer Night Series next weekend. The racing generally starts at 5:00 PM on Saturdays. So, I will have several hours of nice soft light to shoot in plus to opportunity for some sweet colored sky's to get in the background.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    double_b wrote:
    Tim,

Ahhhh, I think you just helped me realize an issue I had a few weeks back when shooting my kids.

I pretty much only shoot sports and landscape pics. Hardly ever do I shoot portraits. Anyway, I took my kids to the park for some recent pics of them and I don't like how they turned out at all. Some of it had to do with the lighting. It was one of those crumby days of cloudy skies but still with harsh lighting. The colors looked pretty good but the faces weren't that great. I always shoot using the Vivid setting. I hadn't thought of this being a reason the skin color is off. Here are a few of them. Are these what yours looked like in Vivid?

534096098_UKq7D-XL.jpg

534096407_WvUkj-XL.jpg

534094680_mffAe-XL.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Ahhhh, I think you just helped me realize an issue I had a few weeks back when shooting my kids.

I pretty much only shoot sports and landscape pics. Hardly ever do I shoot portraits. Anyway, I took my kids to the park for some recent pics of them and I don't like how they turned out at all. Some of it had to do with the lighting. It was one of those crumby days of cloudy skies but still with harsh lighting. The colors looked pretty good but the faces weren't that great. I always shoot using the Vivid setting. I hadn't thought of this being a reason the skin color is off. Here are a few of them. Are these what yours looked like in Vivid?

this is exactly why I use Standard...
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    this is exactly why I use Standard...

I'm definately going to take them back out soon and switch to standard. I also forgot to shoot in Raw which would have helped me PP.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    I don't notice a focusing issue, but I can guarantee you the fps will slow down some.

Good to know, well not about the fps but about the AF.

Do you sell pics? If so how do you handle cropping and sizing? The past two games I decided I was goign to crop as I saw fit and then limit the sizes of the prints I offered...max of sayy 8x10 or 11x14...which I doubt I would sell larger than that anyhow(just started selling).

What type of sharpening setting do you use in post?

Here are some shots from this past weekend. I was hating the background for the batters but it is what it is. Very limited spots to shoot from on this field. Was like trying to shoot Fort Knox.

Why am I only allowed 1 attatchment? I really need to look that up
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    double_b wrote:
    Good to know, well not about the fps but about the AF.

Do you sell pics? If so how do you handle cropping and sizing? The past two games I decided I was goign to crop as I saw fit and then limit the sizes of the prints I offered...max of sayy 8x10 or 11x14...which I doubt I would sell larger than that anyhow(just started selling).

What type of sharpening setting do you use in post?

Here are some shots from this past weekend. I was hating the background for the batters but it is what it is. Very limited spots to shoot from on this field. Was like trying to shoot Fort Knox.

Why am I only allowed 1 attatchment? I really need to look that up

you don't attach pics here you link to them. Place the url between [IMG][/IMG] tags or use the 'envelope' like icon up top

I crop to make teh pic look good. I use teh 7 day delay on proofing (smugmug) to crop the original to whatever they order.

My post sharpening is in CS3, I use an action that sharpens then USM of 85,1,1
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:

Your's actually look better than the tones I was getting, but I think it was due more to me getting some underexposure from the shadows of the hats and helmets along with the Vivid setting. But yes in general I don't theink the Vivid is kind to skin tones, too much red thrown in.

Glad I could help, even if it wasn't on purpose. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    you don't attach pics here you link to them. Place the url between [IMG][/IMG] tags or use the 'envelope' like icon up top

I crop to make teh pic look good. I use teh 7 day delay on proofing (smugmug) to crop the original to whatever they order.

My post sharpening is in CS3, I use an action that sharpens then USM of 85,1,1

So is your customer seeing the cropped file or the original and THEN you crop.Therefore the customer is getting something different than they order?

Thanks fro the info on the linking. I was using the Manage Attachment feature and thougth Good Lord I am missing something, had to make the one file so small it looks like a cell phone pic!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    double_b wrote:
    So is your customer seeing the cropped file or the original and THEN you crop.Therefore the customer is getting something different than they order?

Thanks fro the info on the linking. I was using the Manage Attachment feature and thougth Good Lord I am missing something, had to make the one file so small it looks like a cell phone pic!

They see only what I want them to see (pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!). They see cropped versions, and may/may not receive a slightly different crop after I fulfill the order. I do my best to grab the original, do some PS magic on it and come as close as possible to their crop request. I haven't had one complaint....
    Tim
    Troy, MI

• Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    They see only what I want them to see (pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!). They see cropped versions, and may/may not receive a slightly different crop after I fulfill the order. I do my best to grab the original, do some PS magic on it and come as close as possible to their crop request. I haven't had one complaint....

OK, I see. I figured they would have to see the cropped version, so you are only doing slight tweaking with the 7 day hold.

Let me try this again. Here are some shots I took this past weekend.

3594815455_121fbca67c_b.jpg
    3595622200_82e4f3a1b3_b.jpg
    3594814825_80c77b0c77_b.jpg

3594816067_1ac59e6a2d_b.jpg