Options

Downtown Seattle

deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited November 25, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm headed to Seattle in mid-June.... I've been several times, but this time my niece has asked me to take some pictures of her and a friend in downtown Seattle. Any suggestions on great places to shoot there? The only area I am at all familiar with is Pike Place Public Market.

Thanks

Denise
Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    deeya wrote:
    I'm headed to Seattle in mid-June.... I've been several times, but this time my niece has asked me to take some pictures of her and a friend in downtown Seattle. Any suggestions on great places to shoot there? The only area I am at all familiar with is Pike Place Public Market.

Thanks

Denise
    Hi Denise,

There are lots of great locations for photography in Seattle. You can get some great shots at Pike Place Market, but it can get very crowded (especially with photographers) forcing you to be quite bold with the use of your camera. It can be done; I've seen Nikolai photographing a model in the middle of the street with cars driving by and people looking on...but he's a bit bolder with the camera than me rolleyes1.gif

Alki can be a great spot if you want a city scape back drop
    474901666_7LHmh-L.jpg

another good spot for city scape backdrop is gas works park
    401730892_oEH3c-L-1.jpg

of course the classic Seattle city scape shot is from Kerry Park (my wife and I had some wedding shots taken there...unfortunately I don't have a copy I can post)
    224779526_rhZcK-L-6.jpg

The downtown Seattle library can be a great spot to wander with a camera and study line, shap, shadow
    473625053_EtTYT-L-4.jpg

The Seattle Art Museum's Olympic Sculpture Gallery on the Seattle Waterfront is another of my favorite places to wander with a camera
    125642739_8pHNF-L-10.jpg

Enjoy your visit!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    deeya wrote:
    If you want to stay in the downtown area, here are a few more suggestions.

The Seattle Center - here is just a few ideas at the center;
    International Fountain
    188430391_4Kh5w-M-1.jpg

Experience Music Project bldg.
    204954125_NjUaD-M-1.jpg

And, of course, the Space Needle
    128726882_jNqTg-M-1.jpg

Just west of Seattle Center, overlooking the waterfront and Puget Sound, is the Olympic Sculpture Park.

Along the waterfront and piers is also nice. You can take a water taxi to Alki beach in West Seattle. Have lunch or dinner at Salty's and take the water taxi back.

From the pier along the waterfront;
    201648165_LEePj-M-1.jpg

Another view from the pier.
    201883378_xGeDX-M-1.jpg

Night view of downtown from Alki Beach in West Seattle on (near Salty's Restaurant)
    253094215_wyEas-M-1.jpg

The Harbor steps is a nice way to get back up to the Market area. The steps area have fountains and usually have art/sculpture displayed.
    A few from around the middle of the steps;
    201649068_9ELbd-M-1.jpg

The Public Market is always a good bet, but as greenpea said, it can get very busy there.
    328680774_XK8Lh-M-1.jpg

If you need a dose of caffeine, I highly recommend Seattle Coffee Works, on Pike street just one block up from the Public Market entrance.
    201647594_vc7e8-M-1.jpg

201647674_JBsEc-M-1.jpg

I agree with greenpea that the new library building is a very unique building, and has many great angles.

Pioneer Square area is another unique place. The old part of town, with older Victorian Romanesque buildings, with the brick road that is closed off to traffic, only pedestrians allowed. Many art galleries, restaurants, and shops.

Also, the Freeway park over I5, near the Convention Center.

Enjoy your visit!
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions greenpea... I've been to some of the sites you suggested..but not others... I love the shot from Kerry Park... classic to be sure... but definitely worth a trip... That library looks cool too..

Those are some really nice pictures you posted... hope I can get some just as sweet!
    Denise

• Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    Thanks for the info Ken... you and greenpea posted some great shots (love that Music Experience shot of yours) and have given me some definite things to look into...

I got to eat at Salty's the first time I visited... and watched Seattle turn gold at sunset (wish I had been more into photography on that trip!!)..

Now for more research on some of the other places you mentioned that I haven't visited.

Thanks again!
    Denise

• Options
    CAphotosCAphotos Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    OK, now that the weather is turning wet... any suggestions for covered portrait sessions?
  • Options
    gfw123gfw123 Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    inside stuff.
    CAphotos wrote:
    OK, now that the weather is turning wet... any suggestions for covered portrait sessions?

I will also be looking for indoor stuff to shoot this winter, my first winter here in Seattle while doing photography.

I have been to the Museum of Flight several times, if they are into aviation at all. Lots of great planes and they let you shoot with a tripod, at least they did when I went last.

I am not sure about the aquarium, I want to go check it out. Probably dark(?) though.

the library of course is indoors.

But, it doesn't so much rain in Seattle as it drizzles all the time. If you can manage to be outside a bit then some of the places already mentioned will work and then you can dash into a coffee shop to dry and warm up. Also, right after a rain is a great time for reflection shots when the city streets are wet, they really pick up the light from neon signs and bring some life to what is normally just boring grey concrete. Nice backdrop to have.

If you get some good weather, take a ferry ride. Coming back into the city on a ferry can grab you some great moments. Be sure to just walk on, it is a lot cheaper and the ride back is free.

Not to toot my own horn, but you can take a look at my galleries to see some samples of the places I am talking about. Look in the airplane section and Blue Angles section for flight museum shots. Take a look in the 'landscapes' and 'more art photos' for general seattle shots.

http://www.gregorywrightphotography.com/

Best of luck to you.
    --greg.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    So, getting back on topic, I thought I would mention a couple of other locations I have found. There is the Fremont Troll under the Aurora Bridge just north of Seattle, and Golden Gardens is a nice place to take beach shots as well with mountains in the background.

Any idea when you are coming into town?