Options

Congratulations to Greensquared for the DSS #24 (Emulation Image) Winning Photo!

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited May 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
The images this round were spectacular! This is such an amazing gallery to behold. :barb

AaronNelson and pemmett agreed on seven images, giving you thirteen photos to choose from. Congratulations! :clap

Remember that every Dgrin member can vote, and the poll will run for 72 hours, so let your favorite be known!

divamum – Hommage
520752114_xY9u2-L.jpg

MarkR - EZ!
524448379_XXPLv-L.jpg

CookieS-MMVogue
525912569_YitFq-L.jpg

Greensquared - Candle in the Wind
526190927_bngkQ-L.jpg

anonymouscuban - Cowpoke
526370912_s4xFr-L.jpg

DsrtVW- Metamorphic Rock Study
526479877_Mqqu2-L.jpg

cjmchch - Reaching Out to Ron
526853281_cM3ha-L.jpg

richtersl - Pondering
527063118_8p6B4-L.jpg

KevXman - Summer Breeze
527079409_tkmy7-L.jpg

Eia - Worn
527434526_odxyt-L.jpg

DeuceFour - Dog 'till Dusk
527755153_k34uR-L.jpg

cmorganphotography - Modern Vintage
527886579_BwG7K-L.jpg

Katmitchell- Oopsy Daisies
527982338_q22j4-L.jpg

Vote for the DSS #24 (Emulation Image) Winning Photo! 98 votes

divamum - Hommage
8% 8 votes
MarkR - EZ!
1% 1 vote
CookieS-MMVogue
2% 2 votes
36% 36 votes
anonymouscuban - Cowpoke
17% 17 votes
DsrtVW - Metamorphic Rock Study
1% 1 vote
cjmchch - Reaching Out to Ron
4% 4 votes
richtersl - Pondering
4% 4 votes
KevXman - Summer Breeze
6% 6 votes
Eia - Worn
1% 1 vote
DeuceFour - Dog 'till Dusk
15% 15 votes
cmorganphotography - Modern Vintage
1% 1 vote
Katmitchell- Oopsy Daisies
2% 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Woot! What a collection of wonderful photographs. And they were selected from a gallery of winners.

Congratulations to the finalists! Fabulous work.

Kudos to everyone who entered - really inspiring work.

Special thanks to Kerry for a marvelous theme. I learned about a number of photographs with whom I was not familiar before this challenge.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Wow! I can only agree with Virginia that EVERY picture in this round was a winner - I'm honoured to participate, never mind floored to make it to the voting round!
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    You know...for me there are usually two or three or four finalists that jump off the screen saying "VOTE FOR ME!"...this time they're pretty much all jumping up and down shouting "ME!"..."NO ME!"...wings.gif This vote will be tough.

I particularly enjoyed this round. It has been great to see not only the photos of our group, but also to get exposure to the work of the artists that are being emulated. Kudos to Llywellyn for such a great topic!
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I am at a loss as to which one to pick. As I scrolled down, looking at all the ones shown, I kept thinking, oh, I loved that one! ooo... and that one!
    How are we ever supposed to choose! I usually know right off which was my favorite...

Congratulations to all of you!!!
    I'm going to have to think about who to vote for.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 4, 2009
    Congrates to all the finalists! Some great work in that album and I am sure was difficult for the judges as well as us to pick one!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Congratulations to all of the finalists...all very well deserving.
    I continue to be amazed by the images created here,
    and although I am far behind most, if not all,
    I am happy to be a part of this incredibly talented group!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Congrats
    What can I say,,,,,, I am both grateful and humbled to have been included amongst such talented photographers. I am learning so much from all of your works....

They all stand out and it is making it tough to choose...headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

Kuddos on this theme too.. I have learned a lot; and it taught me the importance of studying what others are doing and how they are shooting and why... it has been very fun..

Best of Luck to "All" of the Finalists, your work is very deserving. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Kat
  • Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    A big well done to all the finallists, an outstanding round this was!!

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Tim
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    :jawdrop

Good luck to all! Amazing entries! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Stunning entries - big Congratulations to the finalists!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Congratulations to the finalist, a great selection of pictures.

Hats off to the judges they had a difficult task.
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Toughest choice I have had to make since being here. Congrats to all.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Congrats to all the finalists! Beautiful gallery of choices!

But for us hacks/newbies, can I make a request/suggestion? As these photos are meant to be emulations of another photographer's style, would it be possible to add a reference to each entry identifying which photographer is being emulated? Some are probably plainly obvious to the edumacated photog....but the rest of us may need some help. A named reference would make it easy to google, etc. As the theme is "emulation", comparing to the source might help in the selection process.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Wow, thanks for even considering the photo I entered! This was definitely a learning experience for me!!! I went outside of my usual thinking for this and learned lots and was instructed lots and enjoyed; which those three elements are the central reason! :D
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    AaronNelson and pemmett agreed on seven images, giving you thirteen photos to choose from. Congratulations! clap.gif

Actually I think you may find that we had all the same photos at one time, but we were forced to choose only 10:ivar
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Congrats to all the finalists! Beautiful gallery of choices!

But for us hacks/newbies, can I make a request/suggestion? As these photos are meant to be emulations of another photographer's style, would it be possible to add a reference to each entry identifying which photographer is being emulated? Some are probably plainly obvious to the edumacated photog....but the rest of us may need some help. A named reference would make it easy to google, etc. As the theme is "emulation", comparing to the source might help in the selection process.

I don't know if this will help, but most people listed their inspiration in the Challenge gallery in the title or in the keywords. IIRC, however, listing the emulated photographer was not a requirement for the challenge.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    I don't know if this will help, but most people listed their inspiration in the Challenge gallery in the title or in the keywords. IIRC, however, listing the emulated photographer was not a requirement for the challenge.

Thanks! The gallery helps, but I now see how my question was addressed in the original submission thread.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    MUDDOGBOBMUDDOGBOB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Live in the Moment
    Wow!!!! Wow!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!. Congrat's to all the finalist and all that entered. Stuning Photo's. This is gonna be super hard to judge and super hard to pick. Sorry I could'nt make this one. Can't wait for the next round. Once again congrat's to all. Great Work.wings.gif
  • Options
    BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    ....A named reference would make it easy to google, etc. As the theme is "emulation", comparing to the source might help in the selection process.

I felt the same way when it came time to vote. There were many nice photographs, which is the same with every shootout.

But, I base my decisions as the photograph relates to the theme, so in the end of the 13 choices, there were only three that stood out to me as an emulation, by just looking at the pictures/. And from those three I chose one I thought emulated anothers knows work best.

To me this particular challenge needed an essay to go along with the photo; that, along with my inexperience of the actual study of other photographers is one reason I had a hard time coming up with any ideas to enter DSS#24 But, that being said, this challenge has made me learn another aspect of the art, even though I had no entry.

This emulation concept has tought me to think a little differently about photographs I like. and is one more piece of the puzzle that will help me define my personal style someday
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Absolutely Outstanding!

Very strong round and some heavy competition! awesome stuff
    and congrats to everyone who made the cut!

My vote was easy this time around one in particular called for me vote and it was cast.
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Job well done ladies and gents!! Such a great theme, which in turn produced even greater photographs! And now to vote...headscratch.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I knew there was a danger letting her back into the entry ring. mwink.gif

Congratulations, Emily!

526190927_bngkQ-L.jpg

The following five people are now qualified for Mega-Challenge #4, which is happening right now! :D Congrats!

Greensquared
    anonymouscuban
    DeuceFour
    divamum
    KevXman
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great job all! Congrats to the winners!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    clap.gif Congratulations, Emily and everyone else!!!!

heheheheheheh....and you thought you'd seen the last of judging one of these challenges, Emily... lol3.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Emily,

Congrats! I knew when I saw your entry that you had this one in the bag. As I mentioned before, stunning image. I think you nailed it and you deserve the win.

Great job!!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Congrats to Emily; your photo is beautiful. Congrats to all...there are a lot of good pics here!!!
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Big Congrats Greensquared
    Congratulations Emily... Very Worthy Win,, you gave everyone a run for their money...... Wonderful Talent..clap.gifclapclap.gif

Congrats to all the runners up too and their awesome work....wings.gifthumb

Kat
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Congrats Emily! I knew it was a winner when I saw it. I am absolutely floored that I made the top 5. I was surprised that I even made the voting round. I'm very humbled because of the quality of images this round.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Congratulations, Emily!!!! Yeay!
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Congratulations Emily for a truly stunning image - it's a real talent that can work both sides of the lens so beautifully.

This was a fun challenge to watch...too much going on here for me to participate this round, but I learned about a number of photographers I'd never heard of, and the emulations were very enlightening (and enlightened). Great job everyone!

Now I'm REALLY nervous about this Mega-challenge! So many ideas, so little time!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!