Options

Any experience with aftermarket canon grips for 5d mark 2?

tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited April 25, 2009 in Accessories
I have come accross this grip for the mark 2. While I buy pretty much only canon genuine stuff, the price on this seems pretty attractive. Has anyone had any experience with this or something like it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Grip-for-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-BG-E6-Camera-B7E_W0QQitemZ230332317844QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBatteries_Chargers?hash=item230332317844&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Comments

• Options
    edited April 18, 2009
    bumpity bump bump
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited April 18, 2009
    I have no experience with that grip but I use an Opteka battery grip on my Canon XT/350D and in around 3 years I haven't had any serious problems with it. One time I had to clean the contacts but other tham that it's worked fine for me.

I do believe that quality control of the third party grips is sporadic and that the factory grips are of better build. Even the factory grips can have problems so it's probably best to buy from a source that has a decent return policy.

If you purchase from an EBay source I do think that to be one of the riskier methods and I do not recommend that you invest more than you can afford to lose. As long as you understand the risk, and if you really need the grip and can't afford the factory grip, the price for that link is very reasonable.

I don't think I would go for it myself.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    If you search on google for Phottix BG-E6 you will find some favorable reviews. Phottix is a larger manufacturer of photo accessories and attends trade shows. So I ordered one for 100 bucks (including battery magazine) to see what it is about - it should arrive tomorrow. I can post some impressions an pictures if you like ...
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    ... I can post some impressions an pictures if you like ...

I think that's a great idea. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    I'd love to now your take on it. Especially the finish, does it look genuine?

The saving over the canon is huge!
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Phottix BP-5D Mk II
    The grip arrived today, here are my first impressions:

Pros:

+ Feels as robust (material) and substantial (weight) as the original grip.
    + Build quality is very good, somewhat better than my genuine Canon BG-ED3 grip (for the 10D).
    + Fits the 5D II perfectly. No wobbling etc.
    + The feel of the buttons is very close to the buttons on the 5D II (you're not going to notice it while shooting).
    + Padding on the grip is softer (but not thicker) than on the 5D II and provides more grip.
    + Camera shows full battery status when using AA batteries in the grip (I didn't expect that).
    + No shiny silver "Canon BG-E6" logo on the front (for me that is a plus).
    + Shape and look are practically identical to the original canon grip.
    + Comes with Battery magazine
    + Inexpensive (I feel I got more than what I paid for).
    + Doesn't smell like a chemical plant (like some other 3rd party bgs do), comes with multilangual manual.

Cons:

+ Not for the purist who needs a brand logo on everything he owns ;-)
    + I wish I had bought it earlier.

Although this is only the first day with the grip, I find it very nice to use and am confident that it will continue
    to work well in the future. Considering that it costs only a bit more than a Canon BP-E6 battery and allows me
    to use AA batteries in it, I think this grip is a very fine deal for everyone who can live without the Canon logo on it.

Here are some photos:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

7. Putting in some Sayno cells.
    07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10. Notice the battery indicator.
    10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Awesome review. I guess it is as good as it looks!

Thanks for taking the time to do it!

I/m sold, going to order mine today!
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    WTG and thanks Manfr3d. thumb.gifthumb

Very nice mini review.

Do you have any comment about stability of the camera on a tripod with and without the grip? (One very good reason to use a grip is so that you can change batteries without removing the camera from the tripod. It looks like the Phottix design makes this easy to do.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Hard to say if the grip has an influence on image quality when used
    on a tripod. Following the rules of physics, the extra camera height
    inherently reduces camera stability regardless of the grip type. I don't
    see any differences between the Phottix and Canon grip here. It should
    be no problem unless your lenses make the setup very front heavy.

In the following picture you can see the battery door fully open.

The mounting plate should not touch the rear rim of the grip otherwise
    the door cant be opened fully. The plate in the picture is 3x4cm in size.
    The ball head is an Acratech UMB V2.

15.jpg
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I would think the stability of the camera would also be affected by how deep the mounting hole for the screw from the mounting plate is.

Jane
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Ideally you want hard surface to hard surface between the mating surfaces of the grip and the bottom of the camera. There were a couple of old grips that I heard about which used a rubber surface and that provided too much "wiggle" for effective tripod use. The Phottix grip appears to use the hard surface approach as well as providing some anti-rotation through a pin which mates to the body. It would appear to be a good design.

The plastic composition and thickness would also affect the battery compartment rigidity and that could impact the structural stability of the camera/grip combination on a tripod. Ideally you would want a fiber filled plastic (structural plastic) and the walls should be thick enough to prevent much flex.

It also appears that the tightening wheel is not directly attached to the attachment screw. It would appear that there is a gear relationship between the tightening wheel and the attachment screw. Is this correct?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    The Phottix grip has a hard surface around the mounting screw on the bottom (see picture #4 above). The (metal) screwhole is almost a centimeter deep.

The tightening wheel is connected via a gear to the screw that goes into the camera (just like with canon).

I don't know what kind of material the grip is made of, but it feels as solid and heavy as a Canon grip does.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    With 2 LP-E6 batteries in it, will it give you the info on both batteries individually, or will it just give the info as a whole?

This looks like a good deal. Thanks for the review.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    I don't have two Canon LP-E6 Batteries so I cannot tell you that. (I bought the grip instead of a 2nd LP-E6)
    ― Edward Weston