Options

SMUGs SMUGs and more SMUGs

jeffjochumjeffjochum Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited July 12, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I created this thread as a place to centralize comments, suggestions and issues involving SMUGs (SmugMug User Groups). I'm Jeff Jochum, and its my job to make SMUGs the coolest things since, well, the creation of SmugMug itself.

While I've had a few years experience of building photographer communities (I originate and helped create the Pictage User Group network), SMUGs are still a new thingee here and I'd love to get a conversation going about what thet are, what they should be and what experiences you've had at the ones you attended.

Between April and August 2009, we will be launching the first of monthly SMUG meetings and this gives us a lot of increased opportunities to share our plans, projects and promises with y'all mug-to-mug. And, if you tell me what/who you want to hear, I will try to include it in future agendas.

Also, my sense at this time is that there are already plenty of places to just learn how to shoot more gooder, and I heard from many attendees of previous user group meeting that they welcome increased education on other stuff, including how to sell and increase their bizness success.

SMUGs Info

SMUGs Dates

You can also register with your email address and we'll keep you updated on your local SMUG or, all the SMUGs - your choice!

Remember, also follow MugToMug on Twitter for the last-minute updates and reminders.

Whaddy'all think? More bizness stuff? More "Why SmugMug" stuff? More other stuff??? Lemme hear it! :)

jeff
cmo | smugmug

Comments

• Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    jeffjochum wrote:
    I created this thread as a place to centralize comments, suggestions and issues involving SMUGs (SmugMug User Groups). I'm Jeff Jochum, and its my job to make SMUGs the coolest things since, well, the creation of SmugMug itself.

While I've had a few years experience of building photographer communities (I originate and helped create the Pictage User Group network), SMUGs are still a new thingee here and I'd love to get a conversation going about what thet are, what they should be and what experiences you've had at the ones you attended.

Between April and August 2009, we will be launching the first of monthly SMUG meetings and this gives us a lot of increased opportunities to share our plans, projects and promises with y'all mug-to-mug. And, if you tell me what/who you want to hear, I will try to include it in future agendas.

Also, my sense at this time is that there are already plenty of places to just learn how to shoot more gooder, and I heard from many attendees of previous user group meeting that they welcome increased education on other stuff, including how to sell and increase their bizness success.

Whaddy'all think? More bidness stuff? More "Why SmugMug" stuff? More other stuff??? Lemme hear it! :)

jeff
    cmo | smugmug

Thanks for starting this thread, Jeff!
    A couple thoughts jump into my mind right off the bat:
    1. Next meeting in San Deigo! :D
    2. More notice - I found out about the LA meeting the day of, probably around 4pm just by chance (saw it mentioned in someone's post that day). I'm not adverse to driving up to LA and would have considered it just to share the experience, but not with such short notice. Maybe I missed where it was originally announced, but still can't find the announcement. If there's already a spot, kindly point me there and check this one off!
    3. I'll never turn down sound advice on how to shot more gooder, but I'm trying to prepare myself & my site to upgrade to a pro account so if there was a focus on the business side of things and how best to use my SmugMug account/site to maximize profitability that would be awesome. I know there's already a ton of knowledge here on DGrin, and I've been reading through when I have the time, but reading gets tedious sometimes where as a discussion about a topic in person might sink in much more better!
    Just some thoughts... but really, San Diego next!! mwink.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    Yep
    How about putting out a schedule (and agenda) for several months - in advance.

I found out the day before or so and would have gone but since I had no notice, I booked a client and I was not about to cancel work ...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:

Totally agree. Really sounds like a great idea, but schedules fill up fast.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    next: Utah! right??
    //Leah
  • Options
    KhristenKhristen Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2009
    jeffjochum wrote:

Whaddy'all think? More bidness stuff? More "Why SmugMug" stuff? More other stuff??? Lemme hear it! :)

jeff
    cmo | smugmug

We need something down south! It's so much warmer in Georgia :)
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Don't forget, there's a bunch of us in New England.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    The weather is great in central Illinois!!!mwink.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 14, 2009
    I am so sorry I missed the LA meet. I never saw nor was there much advance notice. I would have loved to participate.

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1082143&postcount=1

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Hey Jeff, been following you on Twitter for a while now! (And wasn't that you on Dane Sander's coaching call a week or two ago?)

I was sorta on a honeymoon last week, so I couldn't make it to the LA SMUG. Haha. But I've been a happy Smugmug user since the beginning and I'd love to contribute my business model theories to any local SMUGs! I hear one is going to happen eventually in the OC area... Will keep an eye out on Twitter for such an event!

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    BobbyMarshallBobbyMarshall Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    How about a live stream of the usergroup get-together you all have there in SF? and maybe have some *cough*peon screen online questions to ask the presenter during the Q&A session; that is, if a Q7A session is even is held. Something like, this would help get more people involved that live outside the bay area, and even give us the sensation of being there.:jose

But, then again I may be way off base of what this thread is actually about.
    Canon 50D | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    2x White Lightning x1600 | 580 EXII
    Sekonic L-358 | 2x Pocket Wizard II | TC-80N3 Remote Shutter

• Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thanks for starting this thread, Jeff!
    A couple thoughts jump into my mind right off the bat:
    1. Next meeting in San Deigo! :D
    2. More notice - I found out about the LA meeting the day of, probably around 4pm just by chance (saw it mentioned in someone's post that day). I'm not adverse to driving up to LA and would have considered it just to share the experience, but not with such short notice. Maybe I missed where it was originally announced, but still can't find the announcement. If there's already a spot, kindly point me there and check this one off!
    3. I'll never turn down sound advice on how to shot more gooder, but I'm trying to prepare myself & my site to upgrade to a pro account so if there was a focus on the business side of things and how best to use my SmugMug account/site to maximize profitability that would be awesome. I know there's already a ton of knowledge here on DGrin, and I've been reading through when I have the time, but reading gets tedious sometimes where as a discussion about a topic in person might sink in much more better!
    Just some thoughts... but really, San Diego next!! mwink.gif

1. San Diego meeting is scheduled for June 8. Here are the deets:
    San Diego - June 8 / 6PM
    Guest Speaker: Dane Sanders
    Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
    15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, CA
    (858) 792-5200

2. I agree and am working on getting a community page up and running that will have dates, locations, and news about SMUGs. Stay tuned.

3. excellent! thx for the feedback.

jeff
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:

I found out the day before or so and would have gone but since I had no notice, I booked a client and I was not about to cancel work ...

Yeah, I'm working on getting a community site created that ill have all that info on it, many months in advance. Very soon - and I'll announce it here.

jeff
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    next: Utah! right??

What a co-inky-dink. (I've got a 3 yr old at home, so I've got a bunch of these) We're discussing an SLC SMUG now - probably start in next 2-3 months. Stay tuned.

jeff
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    Khristen wrote:
    We need something down south! It's so much warmer in Georgia :)

How about ATL? ;) Its on my *hot* list. gimme a coupla months to get these others out and then POW!

jeff
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    lfortier wrote:
    Don't forget, there's a bunch of us in New England.

OK, how about this?

Boston - August 3 / 6PM
    Guest Speaker: Justin & Mary Marantz, Enna Grazier, Steve DePino
    Sheraton Boston Hotel
    39 Dalton Street, Boston, MA
    (617) 236-2000
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    mrcoons wrote:
    The weather is great in central Illinois!!!mwink.gif

Ok, that's not too far from Chicago, which starts on Monday (April 27)... unless there's a BIG group there who wants to pahtee? Lemme know.

jeff
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    Hey Jeff, been following you on Twitter for a while now! (And wasn't that you on Dane Sander's coaching call a week or two ago?)

I was sorta on a honeymoon last week, so I couldn't make it to the LA SMUG. Haha. But I've been a happy Smugmug user since the beginning and I'd love to contribute my business model theories to any local SMUGs! I hear one is going to happen eventually in the OC area... Will keep an eye out on Twitter for such an event!

Take care,
    =Matt=

Yeah, an OC SMUG is imminent. First meeting witll be in May. And, the SMUG leader is... (wait for it) ... Jasmine Star! Stay tuned for more deets.

jeff
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    How about a live stream of the usergroup get-together you all have there in SF? and maybe have some *cough*peon screen online questions to ask the presenter during the Q&A session; that is, if a Q7A session is even is held. Something like, this would help get more people involved that live outside the bay area, and even give us the sensation of being there.:jose

But, then again I may be way off base of what this thread is actually about.

One of the coolest things about SMUGs is that its "physical", and you get the chance to meet, learn and teach mug to mug. Virtualizing it may be needed at some point, but I really want to get people together at this point. C'mon down to Mtn View on Cinco de Mayo!

jeff
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    jeffjochum wrote:
    What a co-inky-dink. (I've got a 3 yr old at home, so I've got a bunch of these) We're discussing an SLC SMUG now - probably start in next 2-3 months. Stay tuned.

jeff

yEAH!!!!!!!!!!! wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    jeffjochum wrote:
    OK, how about this?

Boston - August 3 / 6PM
    Sheraton Boston Hotel
    (617) 236-2000

Wooohooooclap.gif
    Thanks for visiting beantown. I'll be there.
    Is any registration required?
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Wooohooooclap.gif
    Thanks for visiting beantown. I'll be there.
    Is any registration required?

No way! Since there'll be treats at the first one, its first come, first served - but there's room for EVERYBODY.

jeff
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    jeffjochum wrote:
    1. San Diego meeting is scheduled for June 8. Here are the deets:
    San Diego - June 8 / 6PM
    Guest Speaker: Dane Sanders
    Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
    15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, CA
    (858) 792-5200

2. I agree and am working on getting a community page up and running that will have dates, locations, and news about SMUGs. Stay tuned.

3. excellent! thx for the feedback.

jeff

AWESOME news, Jeff!! Thanks for the update!!! wings.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    jeffjochum wrote:
    OK, how about this?

Boston - August 3 / 6PM
    Sheraton Boston Hotel
    (617) 236-2000

Whooppee! I'll be there.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    New SMUGs Info pages, new and update stuff
    We just posted the first SMUG pages here: http://www.SmugMug.com/smugs

You can see upcoming SMUG meeting info and (here's the big important part) register to receive SMUG-related news and updates. Click the "Keep Me Posted" button and you'll be in-the-loop for SMUG date, time and location changes, new SMUG launches, speaker bios, local meetup invites, surveys and other interesting stuff.

jeff

P.S. Also, remember to follow @MugToMug on Twitter to get instant news on all things SMUG
  • Options
    BeachsidePaulBeachsidePaul Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Ummm Jeff, just went to the new page and didn't see Monday's Tampa Smug listed, has it been cancelled headscratch.gif Thanks, Paul

EDIT: I mean the previously listed May 11, Smug
    Light Dynamics Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. " ... Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Ummm Jeff, just went to the new page and didn't see Monday's Tampa Smug listed, has it been cancelled headscratch.gif Thanks, Paul

EDIT: I mean the previously listed May 11, Smug

Yeah, we have tied the SMUG launches to the PhotoFusionTour.com dates, and they moved Tampa to Aug 17th. Sorry if it caught you off guard. We're making these changes somewhat quickly, and reactively, and forget that others are reading them. Now with the new SMUG pages and @MugToMug twitter account, we can be more responsive to getting these updates out.

jeff

P.S. In moving Tampa, note that Miami was dropped, at least for now. (Does anyone out there care?)
  • Options
    BeachsidePaulBeachsidePaul Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Well Jeff, my partner is in Miami and was planning on attending and I was going to drive down to be there also. But I can't see holding a Smug for two. I was going to be in Tampa on the 11th and I'm sure glad I caught that before I booked the room and made the drive. I'm not sure that moving trade meetings a few days before their scheduled date shows much professionalism on the part of SmugMug or the FusionTour. Frankly, if I had made arrangements with clients to attend, or booked my hotel room already, I'd be really upset. Rock bands cancel and change tour dates, not professional organizations. Paul
    Light Dynamics Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. " ... Ansel Adams
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Frankly, if I had made arrangements with clients to attend, or booked my hotel room already, I'd be really upset.
    We're not really thrilled about it either, Paul - but it was out of our control. If you'd have made arrangements that weren't unwindable, we'd take care of it, because that's how we roll at SmugMug. We'd never leave you hanging out with an empty wallet deal.gif

Sorry for the change in dates and schedule.
  • Options
    JCCJCC Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    smugs, swag and stuff
    Jeff- A coupla questions/ideas.
    1. What happened to the OC smug? Or are we sandwiched inbetween LA and SD and should choose one or the other?
    2. Don't even think about having another smug without handing out those cool SmugMug Pro T-shirts, or a camera strap, or sticker, notepad, pencil, greyscale card or at least something.
    3. Create ways to find the thread(s) relating to smugs. They can easily transition into the online side of the user groups you hope to develop for each area. Some places you could add links within dgrin depending on how much support you want to give the smug idea:
    - in the Quick Links drop down menu
    - in the "Shooters" list so at least it will come up in search.
    - on the dgrin splash page nr pro support listing
    Outside of dgrin, link from the two smugs pages you have put up.
    4. Since so much of the fotofusion discussion centered on the Canon, bring one and demo it. Or bring the latest dslr/video hybrid, video the smug and post an abridged version.
    Jill
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009
    Well Jeff, my partner is in Miami and was planning on attending and I was going to drive down to be there also. But I can't see holding a Smug for two. I was going to be in Tampa on the 11th and I'm sure glad I caught that before I booked the room and made the drive. I'm not sure that moving trade meetings a few days before their scheduled date shows much professionalism on the part of SmugMug or the FusionTour. Frankly, if I had made arrangements with clients to attend, or booked my hotel room already, I'd be really upset. Rock bands cancel and change tour dates, not professional organizations. Paul

Paul, I can't apologize enuff for these changes. As Andy said, they're out of our control, but that doesn't let me off the hook for owning the fallout. I'm truly sorry and will do everything I can to ensure we don't pull the rug out from under y'all again. [Bartender, a round on the house for my friends]

jeff