Options

Congratulations to sherstone for the DSS #21 (Book Cover) Winning Photo!

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited April 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
You guys really picked up your pace this round, taking advantage of the full month to plan and execute a book cover that would appeal to readers. Awesome job! :clap

Annnna888 and Greensquared agreed on five images, giving you fifteen finalists to choose from. Congrats! :barb

Remember that every Dgrin member can vote and the poll will run for 72 hours, so let your favorite be known!

thebigsky - The Mourning Of Angels
488901513_KhMbN-L.jpg

annsan - “he”
495883065_7RuP7-L.jpg

jeffmeyers – InfraRural
497399213_sMzho-L.jpg

tykemama - Expecting Perfection
499177744_S8hhc-L.jpg

Coldclimb - The Day That I Died
499784713_pqZZy-L.jpg

pyroPrints.com - left behind
500683913_EFb9y-L.jpg

sherstone - Desperate Ascensions
501668439_bGEnZ-L.jpg

eoren - The Forgotten
502305254_CKtvZ-L.jpg

coscorossa - Stanley Park
503372298_W4PCL-L.jpg

benjer - TRASH COUTURE: Fashioning Trash & Found Objects into Art
503721106_FotZK-L.jpg

ilbcnu - Secret Garden Secret Memories
504067578_4fQdf-L.jpg

Tylwydd - A Ghosthunter's Guide to Haunted Houses
504513454_gVbZp-L.jpg

richtersl - James Longstreet
505891891_oE4pR-L.jpg

Porter - In a Nutshell and Other Silly Clichés
506231049_Gg8Do-L.jpg

kinkajou – Surfaces
506570442_nut7F-L.jpg

Vote for the DSS #21 (Book Cover) Winning Photo! 112 votes

thebigsky - The Mourning Of Angels
2% 3 votes
annsan - “he”
6% 7 votes
jeffmeyers - InfraRural
5% 6 votes
tykemama - Expecting Perfection
8% 9 votes
Coldclimb - The Day That I Died
4% 5 votes
pyroPrints.com - left behind
6% 7 votes
sherstone - Desperate Ascensions
14% 16 votes
eoren - The Forgotten
9% 11 votes
coscorossa - Stanley Park
8% 10 votes
benjer - TRASH COUTURE: Fashioning Trash & Found Objects into Art
13% 15 votes
ilbcnu - Secret Garden Secret Memories
3% 4 votes
Tylwydd - A Ghosthunter's Guide to Haunted Houses
5% 6 votes
richtersl - James Longstreet
4% 5 votes
Porter - In a Nutshell and Other Silly Clichés
4% 5 votes
kinkajou – Surfaces
2% 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Critiques
    Are we going to get critiques if we didn't make it to the voting round?
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009

It isn't required for the judges to critique nonfinalists, but you can certainly encourage your peers to leave comments in the gallery. thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    This was a beyond-amazing round - I nearly didn't submit because I was so utterly gobsmacked by the fabulous entries which had already gone in!!

That said, despite the HIGH HIGH number of fabulous entries, there is one which I like so well that for once I could cast my vote confidently and right away :D

Congratulations to everybody, and particularly to the finalists - truly, an awesome, inspiring, AMAZING round of entries and designs (because I think in many of these the "design" of the cover was integral to the final product)

Bravi tutti!!! clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 6, 2009
    Congrats to everybody, especially the finalists! clap.gif It was a tough round to judge with so many beautiful entries. Sadly, only ten photos can be picked. :cry

I'll try to comment on as many entries as possible. I'm kinda swamped with a deadline at work coming soon, so I can't promise a comment on every single image. I'll definitely try though! :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    This one was far more difficult to judge than I had anticipated. The theme was to shoot something for a book cover that would make a passerby want to stop and pick it up, discovering more. Well, there were some entries with awesome photographs, but the subject is not one that would normally interest me. Or there were some awesome subjects, but the image just wasn't working that well. My selections all contained great photography (technically and aesthetically), and a sense of vagueness/mystery or humor. Everyone did really, really well with this one!

I'll be doing my best to add feedback to all of the entries, although it may takes a few days, so please be patient. And now that about wraps up my modstuff...I can't wait to start shooting again!

Kerry...you rock! clap.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Congratulations to all the finalists -- this was a tough round and there was some really great work this time around! :D
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    This one was far more difficult to judge than I had anticipated.

headscratch.gifBut weren't you the one who came up with this theme in the first place? rolleyes1.gif

When I saw the entries going up, I was floored at the quality of professionalism I saw. I very nearly did not enter. I'm floored again and very humbled that my entry made it to the voting round.

Sure glad I did not have to judge this round. I can have as many favorites as I want! :D
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Congratulations to all the finalists. Some really amazing pictures, even some of the DQ'd entries.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Wow, just wow. Amazing set of entries and demonstrations of incredible skill and talent (not to mention time!).
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Congrats to the finalists, and to everyone who entered this round. clap.gifthumb.gif

Like pretty much everyone who's commented so far, I'm floored by the amazing work here - from the photography and design to the interesting and unique subjects and titles. I think this has been the most fun I've had with a challenge entry so far, and I find the rest of the entries very inspiring as well. Being chosen as a finalist is a bonus - thanks!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Thank you!
    I too think this was a very intense and beautiful round the quality of entries is outstanding!

Congrats to everyone that entered! :D
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I too think this was a very intense and beautiful round the quality of entries is outstanding!

Congrats to everyone that entered! :D

Dittoclap.gifclapclap.gifclap Fantastic stuff
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    eek7.gif i made it to the voting round? that's just unbelievable. are you guys feeling ok?

there were so many really nice entries (like everyone previous to me has stated). great work, everyone - dgrin shooters rock! thumb.gif

and, just for kicks, here are some the best fake book covers ever made, courtesy of the onion:

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onionmagazine_archive_168a.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onionmagazine_archive_171a.jpg

MOD EDIT: Changed these to links in keeping with DGrin policy. Cool covers! thumb.gif

oops, thanks! now i know ;)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    tykemamatykemama Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Great initiation...
    This was the first challenge I've had the time/gumption to enter... and this is actually my first forum post ever, I sure hope I'm putting this in the right spot (If I could find a "clueless" smilie-thingy... I'd enter it here)!

This was so much fun to do, and I am really quite inspired by the range of entries, and different ways to interpret a theme.

I'm excited to be in the voting round (thanks!)... and hope to get some time to comment on all of the entries... but I'm afraid that "wow... great concept" might get repetitious. Note to self: break out the thesaurus!
    ___
    www.kimberlyteichrow.com
    Original Artwork, Photography and More

I appreciate a good critique... and would love to hear from you!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    tykemama wrote:
    This was the first challenge I've had the time/gumption to enter... and this is actually my first forum post ever...
    Welcome! wave.gif Congrats on a great concept that was very well executed. thumb.gif Hope to see you jump in more 'round these parts!
  • Options
    MUDDOGBOBMUDDOGBOB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Live in the Moment.
    Congrats to all that entered. Great work everyone. Now I need the story behind the covers. I think all would make for some great reading. Good luck to all the finalistclap.gif
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Congratulations to all the finalists, this has been a really interesting round and I can't believe how quickly the month has gone.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    Just a little more than 24 hours to get your vote in! :smo
  • Options
    AnnAnnAnnAnn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2009
    #21 - Book Cover Challenge
    Voted, though entries were so amazing it was virtually impossible to decide on a best of the best. Wanted to vote for category winners - Best Drama :cry, Best Comedy rolleyes1.gif, Best Non-Fiction...., then realized it would STILL be hard to choose! smiles - Ann
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    Wow, what a close race! Congratulations to sherstone! clap.gif

Desperate Ascensions
    501668439_bGEnZ-L.jpg

This was an incredible round. Awesome job, everyone! wings.gif

The following five people are now eligible to participate in Mega-Challenge #4:

sherstone
    benjer
    eoren
    coscorossa
    tykemama
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Congrats to all!! clap.gifclap.gifwings.gifbowdown.gif
    Amazing stuff! Sherstone... I am still trying to figure out how you did that...
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Congratulations Sherstone, you are truly giftedbowdown.gif Awesome !clap.gifclap
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    Congrats to all! Truly one of the most thought-provoking rounds I've seen here and I really, REALLY enjoyed all the entries. Great job!clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Heheheheh...Congrats again, Sean! clap.gifAwesome job!

And, congrats to the rest of the finalists!!!!
  • Options
    PorterPorter Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Congrats to sherstone!
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    This was indeed a fantastic round, with so many great ideas! Congrats to all the top 5, and to a well-deserved win, sherstone. Yours got my vote, and I'm still in awe of your raw creative talent and mad photo and editing skills. bowdown.gif Let me know if you ever need an assistant! Laughing.gif

Thanks also for the votes for my trashy idea. I'm very excited to have made the top 5, but terrified of the upcoming mega-challenge!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Sean, congratulations! clap.gif Again! clap.gif:D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Congratulations Sean! Great concept and execution. I love the surrealistic nature of the photo. I wouldn't change anything about it. Also, it's about time you won one of these things lol3.gif

Also congrats to the rest of the entrants and finalists, another great and wonderfully diverse set of photos. Let me know when you all get your books published so I can place some orders deal.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2009
    Benjer wrote:
    This was indeed a fantastic round, with so many great ideas! Congrats to all the top 5, and to a well-deserved win, sherstone. Yours got my vote...

Thank you Benjer you really know how to make my hat not fit my head properly ;-). I knew instinctively that this round would be a close race but I honestly did not expect to win.

Congratulations to yourself on your second place win, I can happily say my vote went to "TRASH COUTURE", I am very impressed with the stand out graphic quality of it, and your imaginative use of the pole actually gives it even more strength in its composition than without it.

~~~~

Thank you! to the judges and everyone who voted for "Desperate Ascensions", and also a big congratulations to the other finalists as well, eoren, coscorossa and tykemama all awesome works!
    I guess I'll go hide now for 10 days :hide

Thanks again everyone especially the behind the scenes people who keep it all going like Kerry and DoctorIt.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I guess I'll go hide now for 10 days :hide

Ah, the price of victory.... rolleyes1.gifrofl