Options

Saturday Tease: Mojave, 3d tour (long post)

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 6, 2009 in People
Yesterday, Saturday April 4th I went to Mojave desert for a third time during the last few weeks. With me in my car was my cameras, location lights, some BBQ stuff and my new model, Alyona.

The plan of the shoot was loosely based on the one we did with Anya two weeks ago. It had the same same start, but then we planned to deviate towards North and explore some ruins and whatever else we may find there. I scored some potential locations from google maps (users maps) but from my prior experience those pointers are not always exact, so we were prepared for for some hit-and-miss action.

#1: We arrived to our first location (orchards) at dawn, 15 minutes before the sunrise:

505804520_LP4KF-L.jpg

#2: Yes, it was 32F (0C), i.e. freezing point:

505804483_gK53c-L.jpg

#3: My model was really hesitant about doing this part:

505804557_w2xeM-L.jpg

#4: And rightfully so:

505804752_4EXX9-XL.jpg

#5: Sun's coming up. Typical Mojave skyline:

505803752_Mqoka-L.jpg

After much deliberation she was finally ready to give it a go, but... security guards came and politely, but firmly asked us to leave the premises... I actually was glad they didn't come five minutes later, since it was again "Garden of Eden" theme...:wink

Alyona was seriously disappointed, but we had a long day ahead of us, so I told her not to worry, and we took off to our next goal. Needless too say, by the end of the day she was so overwhelmed with the rest of the shoot that this little rough start totally went away.

#6: You may recognize this wall from my shoot with Anya:

505805076_xVSJE-L.jpg

#7: And this little place is where I took Janey to 3 weeks ago...

505805193_3PRhY-L.jpg

#8: Our third (and last of the the pre-visited points) stop was in the Antelope Valley Cal state Poppies Reserve. Apparently, this year "orange hills" are not going to happen: there were small patches here and there, but the primary area was barren.

505805248_KTpkX-L.jpg

We still managed to snap a few shots and then took off North.

#9: Our next goal was to try and find one of the ruins near the Backus Rd. The location was kinda approximate. Finally I decided to hike up the hill and take a better look at the surrounding area. And guess what - we were right next to it (the little thingie between the large rock and the houses, on top of the inverted U dirt road). I think we would totally miss it if it were not for our little up-hike.

505805389_wCL3W-L.jpg

#10: It didn't look like much from above, but since we already were there, I decided to get a closer look. And boy, was I glad we did:

505804018_wUCfk-L.jpg

#11: After finishing the shoot with this tiny, but awesome "fireplace ruin" we went further on Mojave Tropico road, looking for few other places I spotted off the g-maps. We located two out of three. Unfortunately, they were all on a private property with the clearly displayed "no trespassing" signs. Having in mind our morning incident we decided not to trespass. :dunno

We were almost ready to leave that particular rural mining area and head further North, when we spotted two dilapidated shacks right by the road:

505805818_Tpj7x-L.jpg

#12: Another one, 30 ft aways from the first one.

505805780_7mnAS-L.jpg

#13: Alyona got extremely excited and we spent another hour or so playing around this building:

505804332_PNsje-L.jpg

#14: You can only guess what we shoot in this "honeymoon suit":

505805977_EQMWB-XL.jpg

#15: I'll give you a hint, though: :wink

505806127_FAFxN-L.jpg

#16: By the time we were done with this place it was half-past three. We were quite up North, so it was time for us to go back for our last, and now traditional, Mojave-shoot part: shashliki, grilled kebab Georgian (Russian Georgia, not US Georgia:-) style.

505825170_AijHp-L.jpg

#17: Lamb - it's what for dinner!

505825226_Kbdby-L.jpg

#18: Grill with a view:

505825286_f7Qgh-XL.jpg

#19: All in all, it was a great shoot, Alyona was a great model, which made me a happy photographer:

505806181_U45Db-L.jpg

Enjoy! Finals will follow (watch Go Figure;-)

This post was made with the assistance of url=http://www.starexplorer.com]Star*Explorer[/url]
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    Your one heck of an explore and glutton for punishmet. Can't wait to see the finals. Hope you get warmed up quick.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Your one heck of an explore and glutton for punishmet. Can't wait to see the finals. Hope you get warmed up quick.
    Thanks! Well, it stayed chilly till about noon, then it became OK...
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    BTW, this is how poppies in full bloom look like (capture circa April 2003, i.e. exactly 6 years ago):

37607664_WR5WM-L.jpg
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Sheesh Nik....I never thought of being a model personally, but after seeing the lunch I am considering it!rolleyes1.gif

I should probably wear a more conservative style of clothing though.

Looks like it was a cold but productive trip.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Sheesh Nik....I never thought of being a model personally, but after seeing the lunch I am considering it!rolleyes1.gif
    I should probably wear a more conservative style of clothing though.
    Looks like it was a cold but productive trip.thumb.gif
    Laughing.gif! rolleyes1.gif
    Well, you see, it's either clothing, or food...mwink.gif
    Thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    having no basis for what I thought you should look like..you are actually older then I had imaigniend in my minds eye. hehheadscratch.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    having no basis for what I thought you should look like..you are actually older then I had imaigniend in my minds eye. hehheadscratch.gif
    Yeah, I'm almost 50, sorry ne_nau.gif
    But at least I'm still getting the girls mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    I love the flower field & the old, vanishing buildings, can't wait to see what you came up with! clap.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, I'm almost 50, sorry ne_nau.gif
    But at least I'm still getting the girls mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

no doubting that. thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I love the flower field & the old, vanishing buildings, can't wait to see what you came up with! clap.gif
    Soon, my dear Angie, soon! thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    :lurk

This is gonna be interesting....!!
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Nik:

Looks like quite the fun day!

Good to see you putting Google Maps to good use. Can't wait to see the full shoot.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    :lurkThis is gonna be interesting....!!
    It sure was for me:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2009
    Zanotti wrote:
    Nik:
    Looks like quite the fun day!
    Good to see you putting Google Maps to good use. Can't wait to see the full shoot.
    Z
    Yes it was! :D
    Internet is amazing tool if used right...thumb.gif
    Hopefully finals will be up soon - unless a couple of eeeeeextremely hot models from other states who are coming to LA for their spring break and want me to shoot them this week do not interfere..mwink.gif