Options

help me choose my new business logo

thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited April 3, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
A friend has designed too kick ass logos for my business. But I'm torn, do I go with the one that shows some skin or no skin as my main logo. Check out the thread here http://tinyurl.com/caa8d9

Please help me decide. There is a voting poll and you can leave comments. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    thenimirra wrote:
    A friend has designed too kick ass logos for my business. But I'm torn, do I go with the one that shows some skin or no skin as my main logo. Check out the thread here http://tinyurl.com/caa8d9

Please help me decide. There is a voting poll and you can leave comments. Thanks

Sorry, those aren't "kick ass". They aren't really even logos. There is too much going on, and they won't reproduce well. Your business name is in too light a font. I can't even tell what "skin" you're talking about.

I would toss these away and start fresh.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    thenimirra wrote:

They're both about the same to me. Not a bad concept at all! But, just to nitpick, your friend designed "two" logos, not "too" logos. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    They're both about the same to me. Not a bad concept at all! But, just to nitpick, your friend designed "two" logos, not "too" logos. :)

thanks Merc...I'm a stickly about mistakes like that too! :D
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    orljustin wrote:
    They aren't really even logos. There is too much going on, and they won't reproduce well. Your business name is in too light a font. I can't even tell what "skin" you're talking about.

I agree-- these aren't logos at all. Logos are very simple (think the nike swoosh or the adidas three stripes) and really don't look good with photos in them. Makes 'em too busy.

Check out logomojo for great examples.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited March 31, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    I agree-- these aren't logos at all. Logos are very simple (think the nike swoosh or the adidas three stripes) and really don't look good with photos in them. Makes 'em too busy.

Check out logomojo for great examples.

Thanks for our response, however, I disagree. I believe it is a logo and it works great for my needs. I tried using companies like logomaker etc, but their clipart just didnt sum my business up as well as this does/
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    orljustin wrote:
    Sorry, those aren't "kick ass". They aren't really even logos. There is too much going on, and they won't reproduce well. Your business name is in too light a font. I can't even tell what "skin" you're talking about.

I agree. Those are not logos and I would hire a GOOD graphic designer.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I like both and I did not see how or where to vote......I will thro my vote for the NON skin....reason....was hard to tell what I was looking at even when I enlarged the photo....at first I did not see it was a backside photo, because of such pronounced shoulder blades.....
    How do you promote boudoir, to start with boudoir is french for bedroom.....not nude......it is in its strictest sense a tease.....extremely seductive, provocative but yet not fully revealing the prize of the quest ......so to speak .......
    So to promote alongside of weddings and portraits...do a series of very provocative, seductive photos that only hint at the skin......Teri's Rose is a great portrait and I hope is hanging as a min. of a 30 x 40 print on a wall......
    this was my business card back in 1989-1992 and it did what I wanted it to do except it kept me out of the senior portrait slot....a little to risque for good ol' Wichita, but it did great out in L.A. and for entertainers touring around the country that had shows here and wanted the show photographed........

You are so correct about the uptightedness (new word just invented and copyrighted) of AMERICA as a whole......spending time in the Czech Republic showed me just how far backwards we are in how we look at sex in general....of course that is one reason they have a much lower rate of strokes and heart attacks....they are much more relaxed and laid back..........so is there approach to art in general.....nude is really nothing to the european....it is just nature........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I do agree that it doesn't seem like a logo, more of a blog banner (as I see you've done already!). If it's working for what you need it for, I suppose it's doing it's job. Just my two cents though, I don't feel like I'm looking at a photographer's logo, but an advertisement for UNICEF or something of the sort.
    That aside, I would probably go with the 'no skin'; only for the sheer fact that there ARE people out there that will be offended, and as Art had mentioned it may hinder those Senior-type clients. Unfortunately that is how our society is.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    The amount of "skin" you can see is next to nothing, and it certainly doesn't indicate any market of photography you are into.

Again, these things are terrible as "logos". Put it on a business card, and you won't see a thing. Get a good graphic designer to brand your business, as mentioned above.
  • Options
    hunter349hunter349 Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Your Logo
    I don't think they look bad at all. It's really a matter of semantics as to the logo part. They would not work too well as a quickly recognizable symbol or fit well on a business card or as a branded image in photos or something. They look fine for a website, blog, or full sized ad. As far as skin or no skin it's a matter of where you want to take your photography. Are you a photographer for the money?, For mass appeal? approval by all who see your work? Many photographers get stuck wanting everyone to like there work. You do what you do. You like what you like. I say If it's a representation of you and the style of work you like to do then don't worry about offending the masses.
    On the other hand if you have to bend to put food on the table I don't think anyone would blame you.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Yeah, I agree with others. These aren't logos. More like ads (for a banner or perhaps the whole front of a business card with details on back.) I would keep this for future use, but still look for a simple Logo properly designed.

I paid for mine. I can get you her information. It was $75 via paypal. She gives a few variations and then works from there.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I have to add my voice to the throng of those who dislike these 'logos'. I don't want to badmouth your friend and his work so I'll just keep it simple - don't use either of them, start over.

Vic
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    thenimirra wrote:
    I tried using companies like logomaker etc, but their clipart just didnt sum my business up as well as this does/

A decent graphic designer will never use clipart. Logomojo does not use clipart either. They design everything from scratch.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    A decent graphic designer will never use clipart. Logomojo does not use clipart either. They design everything from scratch.

Then I will take a second look at logomojo. I like that they offer free cards and stationery to get you started.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    thenimirra wrote:
    Then I will take a second look at logomojo. I like that they offer free cards and stationery to get you started.

Yeah, they do a good job but I'd still recommend you run some of their ideas past friends and family and even a graphic designer. Logomojo will give you unlimited changes (least they did when I used them) in design.

I loved a couple of the initial logos they designed for me, but the response wasn't as enthusiastic from people I showed them to. I ended up using that input and getting a very nice logo that ended up working awesome in my website design and works as a nice watermark too. Sometimes what we like isn't always what others like. :D

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 3, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    Yeah, they do a good job but I'd still recommend you run some of their ideas past friends and family and even a graphic designer. Logomojo will give you unlimited changes (least they did when I used them) in design.

I loved a couple of the initial logos they designed for me, but the response wasn't as enthusiastic from people I showed them to. I ended up using that input and getting a very nice logo that ended up working awesome in my website design and works as a nice watermark too. Sometimes what we like isn't always what others like. :D

Pete I lost myself in your site for about an hour. FANTASTIC work, really!

WOW!!! eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2009
    dogwood wrote:

Yeah, I think I learned that the hard way! :D But at least people here were willing to tell me the truth about what they thought. I will use it on advertisements, but I think it's a good idea for me to try out logomojo.