Options

Canon 50D or 500D

AroundDWorldAroundDWorld Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited April 2, 2009 in Cameras
So I JUST purchased the 50D and now Canon comes out with the 500D.
Being a novice and all........can anyone compare the specs and tell me really if there is a major difference in the 2 that might justify me keeping the 50D.
I am not big on the video aspect so that is not an issue.
I like the idea that the body of the 500D might be more like the Rebel....smaller.......
I was stunned to see how "hefty" the 50D is......but it's manageable...lol!
But for the price diff.........you think the 50D is a "much" better cam to pay the extra$$.....or with what I would save by instead getting the 500D, I could get myself another lens......
Also, anyone know when this little beauty is to be on the shelves in the US?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos500d/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

Thanks you guys!!!!:wink:wink

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited March 28, 2009
    So I JUST purchased the 50D and now Canon comes out with the 500D.
    Being a novice and all........can anyone compare the specs and tell me really if there is a major difference in the 2 that might justify me keeping the 50D.
    I am not big on the video aspect so that is not an issue.
    I like the idea that the body of the 500D might be more like the Rebel....smaller.......
    I was stunned to see how "hefty" the 50D is......but it's manageable...lol!
    But for the price diff.........you think the 50D is a "much" better cam to pay the extra$$.....or with what I would save by instead getting the 500D, I could get myself another lens......
    Also, anyone know when this little beauty is to be on the shelves in the US?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos500d/
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/

Thanks you guys!!!!mwink.gifwink

AroundDWorld, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

As a rule, the Canon xxxD cameras are slower in response and have fewer high-ISO options. In the case of the 500D it does look like it is as capable and maybe even more capable than the 50D for high-ISO settings and results. The shutter mechanism of the 500D is a lower level and it is a structural plastic body (covering a stainless steel stamped core) and the 500D is quite a bit lighter and uses SD cards.

If you really want to compare the two cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos50d%2Ccanon_eos500d&show=all
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    I similarly just got a 50D, i upgraded from a 350D.

No going backwards for me. Even IF the 500D proves to be more capable in low light. The higher FPS of the 50D, micro focus adjustment, weather sealing and so makes me love the 50D. The haft of the 50D is also something I love, especially with a battery grip added to it. But I am a rather large guy to start with. Handling the 350D while packing it to be sold, it felt like I was handling a toy.
    The other reason I feel the 50D is superior to any xxxD camera is user interface. I like the joystick and extra dials. Makes setting everything so much easier and faster, especially after I get used to it.

So with me the decision of 50D over 500D is partially features, but as much comfort. So purely a personal decision.

I do agree ti seems that the 500D will be be able to do pretty much everything the 50D does and then some (video) but in the end I think the choice is more a personal preference choice.
  • Options
    lakewebdlakewebd Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    I have the 50D and am looking at the 500D as a second body, not sure yet. The 500D does not have a top LCD screen or the dial for picture review. It uses the 4 button system instead. I can not find out if it has the dust cleaner at start up, and I don't want to go back to cleaning a sensor again.

I don't think it has AF-on button either. The slower shutter speed is a pain, and it does not have the sRaw file choices which I love on the 50D. I don't think the 500D would be a primary body choice for me. The 50D is very substancial body and takes great images.
    There are too many missing creature features on the 500D, it is a great entry level body, and I definately want to try it out.

Toshido wrote:
    I similarly just got a 50D, i upgraded from a 350D.

No going backwards for me. Even IF the 500D proves to be more capable in low light. The higher FPS of the 50D, micro focus adjustment, weather sealing and so makes me love the 50D. The haft of the 50D is also something I love, especially with a battery grip added to it. But I am a rather large guy to start with. Handling the 350D while packing it to be sold, it felt like I was handling a toy.
    The other reason I feel the 50D is superior to any xxxD camera is user interface. I like the joystick and extra dials. Makes setting everything so much easier and faster, especially after I get used to it.

So with me the decision of 50D over 500D is partially features, but as much comfort. So purely a personal decision.

I do agree ti seems that the 500D will be be able to do pretty much everything the 50D does and then some (video) but in the end I think the choice is more a personal preference choice.
  • Options
    KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    lakewebd wrote:
    I can not find out if it has the dust cleaner at start up, and I don't want to go back to cleaning a sensor again.

Does the ICS (Intergrated Cleaning System) that our cameras have really completely get rid of all the dust? I've been hearing that it will always be best to have them cleaned the old fashion way, that the ICS doesn't do the job as good.

And I guess all the dust that the ICS does shake off, ends up elsewhere. So I wonder where it all goes to and how to clean that area of the camera where the dust has been shaken off to?
    ʞ1└0
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    I'm no expert on the ICS system but know that having it on the 50 has solved my dust bunny problems. I did see a few dust spots after frequent lens chaning but simply turned the camera off and on several times and they went away.

My 5d was a dust magnet, and it was such a pain.

Kilo wrote:
    Does the ICS (Intergrated Cleaning System) that our cameras have really completely get rid of all the dust? I've been hearing that it will always be best to have them cleaned the old fashion way, that the ICS doesn't do the job as good.

And I guess all the dust that the ICS does shake off, ends up elsewhere. So I wonder where it all goes to and how to clean that area of the camera where the dust has been shaken off to?
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Kilo wrote:
    ...And I guess all the dust that the ICS does shake off, ends up elsewhere. So I wonder where it all goes to and how to clean that area of the camera where the dust has been shaken off to?

I believe I've read there is a 'tacky' strip below the sensor which should catch and hold most of the dust.

wg
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Well, I put a deposit on a 500D yesterday. It will be my second body and hopefully my video cam at shows.
    I found this great review http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9973-9976

I will try panning instead of zooming, positioning will matter a lot. Definately a work around concept. That would also eliminate the audio complaints about lens noise.

It has several video clips in different sizes that are downloads. I think I will be using the 720P or 640 SD mode. The quality of video is pretty amazing, and it does have the sensor cleaning feature.

waygard33 wrote:
    I believe I've read there is a 'tacky' strip below the sensor which should catch and hold most of the dust.

wg