Options

Dance Poster/advert

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited April 2, 2009 in Sports
I will be photographing Provincial Highland Dance Championships this year. Apparently the last 3 years the photographer only offered posed shots to the competitors, and so the organizers are really excited that I have agreed to offer both posed and "action".

I want to have a bunch of samples around so that I can encourage purchase of more than just the 8x10 at the time of the event.

This is the beginning/first attempt at a poster that I could either use for display sample or potentially for advertising.

Am I headed in the right direction?

494554365_JoQjE-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Hi Ann,

I really like the swirl sequence and the line that it draws from the way you placed the dancer. I'm not so fond of the gal bending over at the waist - seems too static. Also, the dancer isn't showing a lot of excitement in any of the shots (or is that part of the facade that needs to be maintained in this style of dance?). And I like the subtle bkgd as well.

My suggestion would be to move your line of dancers to the top - leaving enough room in the while space triangle to the right to put your "company" name. I would move the kicking dancer to the bottom left and leave out the waist bend all together. So you would still be showing off your action ability (love the clear, crisp shots btw) and leave you room to add in info about how/where to purchase the shots.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    granite.thundergranite.thunder Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    I love it.
    The figure on the top right. Hehe.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I will be photographing Provincial Highland Dance Championships this year. Apparently the last 3 years the photographer only offered posed shots to the competitors, and so the organizers are really excited that I have agreed to offer both posed and "action".

I want to have a bunch of samples around so that I can encourage purchase of more than just the 8x10 at the time of the event.

This is the beginning/first attempt at a poster that I could either use for display sample or potentially for advertising.

Am I headed in the right direction?

Hi Ann!

Congrats on a gig! thumb.gif

I think a poster idea is great. This particular implementation, however, is not ne_nau.gif
    Here's why and what I'd suggest to do about it..
    • Background is totally blah. Come on, it's a freaking dance competition. Where is your stage lighting, where are the spotlight effects?
    • I understand you're probably limited with your samples, but these are B*A*D. Every single pose looks "posed" and static, plus the girl looks like she's been bored to death.
      Find some other samples or re-shoot. You have plenty of models next to you, some with the dancing experience. Since this eventually can get profitable I think you can even justify spending a hundred or two, which would improve your selection dramatically... But TF* is still a possibility
    • In this collage you have two sizes. I think you need to go for a greater variety.
    • Try the "reflection-zoom" effect (check the GoFigure), when the whole background is a zoomed-in picture.
    Good luck, hope to see the next version! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Hi Ann,

I really like the swirl sequence and the line that it draws from the way you placed the dancer. I'm not so fond of the gal bending over at the waist - seems too static. Also, the dancer isn't showing a lot of excitement in any of the shots (or is that part of the facade that needs to be maintained in this style of dance?). And I like the subtle bkgd as well.

My suggestion would be to move your line of dancers to the top - leaving enough room in the while space triangle to the right to put your "company" name. I would move the kicking dancer to the bottom left and leave out the waist bend all together. So you would still be showing off your action ability (love the clear, crisp shots btw) and leave you room to add in info about how/where to purchase the shots.

cheers,

C.

Hi Colleen

Thanks, your feedback is always helpful.

So, the static bend at the waist is the beginning of every dance. I agree it does not fit here, but the feedback I have had from dancers is they like that type of shot. These girls rarely smiled! A couple of the older girls managed, once in a while. I only have permission to use this girl for advert material.

Here is the same poster, rearranged:

494581531_8pNEd-XL.jpg

Keep the comments coming

ann
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Thanks.
    The figure on the top right. Hehe.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hi Ann!

Congrats on a gig! thumb.gif

Thank you!
    [*]Background is totally blah. Come on, it's a freaking dance competition. Where is your stage lighting, where are the spotlight effects?

This set of shots was taken in a gym with NO stage lighting at all! And really ugly background. So I chose to remove the background instead.

I can jazz it with PS if necessary. Right now I am trying to decide if this is a sample of what I could potentially sell - in which case I don't want to make it too complex and set expectations too high! Or an advert for me, and then maybe jazzing it is good.
    [*]I understand you're probably limited with your samples, but these are B*A*D. Every single pose looks "posed" and static, plus the girl looks like she's been bored to death.
    Find some other samples or re-shoot. You have plenty of models next to you, some with the dancing experience. Since this eventually can get profitable I think you can even justify spending a hundred or two, which would improve your selection dramatically... But TF* is still a possibility

Well, I need to have advertising ready next week, only have permission to use this girl, and still have an enormous expenditure wrt equipment for this event. On site sales = 3 monitors, new computer, printer and support staff.....(and I am trying really hard not to think 5dmkII)

[*]In this collage you have two sizes. I think you need to go for a greater variety.

Interesting - I purposefully sized the three all the same!
    [*]Try the "reflection-zoom" effect (check the GoFigure), when the whole background is a zoomed-in picture.[/LIST]Good luck, hope to see the next version! thumb.gif
    [/QUOTE]

Well, I am sure there will be many attempts in the next few days! Keep the feedback coming Nik. Don't suppose you are ready for a trip north?

ann
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, I need to have advertising ready next week, only have permission to use this girl, and still have an enormous expenditure wrt equipment for this event. On site sales = 3 monitors, new computer, printer and support staff.....(and I am trying really hard not to think 5dmkII)
    Wow, on site sales... Girl, you *are* serious... bowdown.gif

Well, I am sure there will be many attempts in the next few days! Keep the feedback coming Nik. Don't suppose you are ready for a trip north?
    ann
    Looking forward to it!

As to the trip North, let me quote a typical model portfolio line: "I'll travel everywhere provided the expenses are paid" mwink.gif
    Need a second shooter with 5D2/50D, L glass and some experience? I have my passport ready ;-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wow, on site sales... Girl, you *are* serious... bowdown.gif

Looking forward to it!

As to the trip North, let me quote a typical model portfolio line: "I'll travel everywhere provided the expenses are paid" mwink.gif
    Need a second shooter with 5D2/50D, L glass and some experience? I have my passport ready ;-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif

So Nik, what would your "expenses" be? :D

You could probably help with the IT stuff too!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Something much simpler? (again just a rough draft)

494659599_tKxSc-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Something much simpler? (again just a rough draft)
    All things aside, I like it better. thumb.gif
    However, I think it's important to decide what is it that you after. At this point I don't see "it"...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    So Nik, what would your "expenses" be? :D
    Skype me tonight (after 8PM Pacific), I'll tell ya;-)
    You could probably help with the IT stuff too!
    That I could, too:-) deal.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Skype me tonight (after 8PM Pacific), I'll tell ya;-)

That I could, too:-) deal.gifmwink.gif

Okey dokey
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2009
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    Hi Ann,

Jumping in late on this thread. As Nik said, I'm not seeing "it" quite yet on these. I'm not good at this either so take all of these with 2 grains of salt: First, the background is not working for me. There is also a lot of empty space. I would check out some of the football/baseball/soccer posters that are out there for more ideas...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2009
    If it was me, I'd use just one pose and make it the center of attention. The other poses are for your portfolio to show the competitors when they meet with you to discuss what shots they want taken.

However - and this is a big "However" - I'd re-shoot that girl and ask her to smile. I've been to several Irish dance competitions, and the Irish lasses smile. No reason a Scots lass will nae.dance.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Well, thanks to all the feedback here, I have come up with some better variants:

502897203_YNwL5-L.jpg

502863762_EaEmL-L.jpg

and for programs or places where the ad will print in b&w:

502863234_Kst57-M.jpg

Gallery

ann
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    wow - I'm impressed clap.gif While I personally thought the 2nd interation was good, these really stand out.

I think my only comment is for the top poster. In the three twirl shots, I would swap the 2nd and 3rd shots to keep it more in a natural sequence: 'front, side, back' reads better than 'front, back, side' IMO

Also, nice job w/ the background replacement/fade in the 2nd version.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    I like the single dancer version. I'd treat the whole poster as a photograph, though, as far as composition. You have a nice diagonal flow, but the eye runs up to the flower in your logo. It seems out-of-place and like she's reaching for the flower.

I'd move that logo to the bottom of the poster and leave some space between it and the rest of the image. I do like your use of a gradient in the placement of the logo, but the flower position really does seem wrong in that layout. It's so dominant that it looks like the flower is part of the dance step.

The only way you'll know is to do both versions, lay them side by side, and try to imagine you've never seen them before.

How's it feel, by the way, to spend hours on something and then have some stranger come by and nit-pick? You've done well, but fresh eyes often see things you don't.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Now I see it!:D Both of these are good but I prefer the first. I think the only change I would suggest is to put the event information in the upper right and bring the product info down to the lower right.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    Unbrok3nUnbrok3n Registered Users Posts: 444 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Definitely stick with one image if youre going to do a poster.
    For the poster itself, if you can, try to maybe put something together that is simple but not so "cookie-cutter" (microsoft template-ish)
    And I think the placement and size of your text needs to be played around with. Just make sure you make whatever you want people to see have the most punch.
    I think it would be nice to do a really simple, elegant black and white poster.
    Or at least stick to duotone. Stick to 1 image and 1 or 2 fonts...no more.
    Youre getting there, and heck, you already have a gig!!!
    Im shooting a dance invitational at my college in a few weeks...should be interested! haha
    graphic designer/photographer
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Thanks again everyone!

With the advice here, and the feedback from the event people, this is likely the advert for the program:

503583944_AUKqi-M.jpg

We are pretty sure the program will print black and white, but in case it can be color, here it is:

503583836_ERNYF-M.jpg

C - you will notice the switched dancer position! Thanks.
    Tony - I struggled with the flower in the dancers hand too, hence the move to the horizontal layout!
    Mike, unbroken, thanks for the feedback!

ann
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    Ann, this is lovely, great improv compared to your original attempts...

The only thing: your name is totally lost on a side. I would use the empty space in the right midlle, put your name there in LARGE TYPE (add the mirror efect, too, the same as for dancer) and moved "official photographer" under it (and made it smaller). And you can keep the side text, tooo
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks Nik!
    One more:
    I like it! thumb.gifclap.gif
    I'd only make "portraits" font the same as the other "features", but adjusted all three spacings to make then the same width.
    Also would make your own name/email bigger.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Well, I've replaced all of theimages in that gallery as I've tweaked and changed text! Sorry for the borked viewing experience. Link

and my decisions:

Business card:

502028948_YPM8w-M.jpg

Postcard, either

504237671_mpVeo-M.jpg

or

504237757_NeE2g-M.jpg

and advert in program:

504241836_FE5uF-M.jpg

ann
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, I've replaced all of theimages in that gallery as I've tweaked and changed text! Sorry for the borked viewing experience. Link

ann

The only thing I don't like about the last one is the upper text geting too close to her bosom. I think moving girl clones to the left is an easy fix.

Other than that you're pretty much solid. Sure, tiny improvements can be made, but you probably have other tings to worry about, too:-)