Options

Picture of your local firetruck request...

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited May 4, 2008 in Landscapes
My 4-year-old grandson, CJ is very interested in fire trucks. He and his mom visit all the local fire stations in Silicon Valley. His favorite trucks are the yellow ones! But any fire truck, white, red, or whatever is perfectly fine too! He has several helmets, including a haz mat silver helmet. (see photo).

If you could either post them here, or send them direct to his e-mail account I'd really appreciate it, and he would be thrilled.

cjfiretruck@yahoo.com

He saw Gus's E-4 San Francisco truck and was very excited because he lives near a fire station that has its own E-4 in it. So I thought it would be really neat if he could see fire trucks from around the country, or maybe, even from around the world!

He's holding a puzzle of Nasa Ames E-5 fire truck.

Comments

• Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    My 4-year-old grandson, CJ is very interested in fire trucks. He and his mom visit all the local fire stations in Silicon Valley. His favorite trucks are the yellow ones! But any fire truck, white, red, or whatever is perfectly fine too! He has several helmets, including a haz mat silver helmet. (see photo).

If you could either post them here, or send them direct to his e-mail account I'd really appreciate it, and he would be thrilled.

cjfiretruck@yahoo.com

He saw Gus's E-4 San Francisco truck and was very excited because he lives near a fire station that has its own E-4 in it. So I thought it would be really neat if he could see fire trucks from around the country, or maybe, even from around the world!

He's holding a puzzle of Nasa Ames E-5 fire truck.
    From Topanga Canyon's Topanga Days last year my grandson Brandon and his buddy Tyler playing on the truck, Brandon in the cab and an antique engine that was in the parade many times over the years. From my parade archives.

23222699-S.jpg

23223408-M.jpg

23222700-M.jpg

23222701-M.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited May 27, 2005
    2 more
    A couple more for CJ to look at.

Here is a lifesize firetruck made of cardboard for a cardboard boat event a few years ago.

Firetruck in drydock:
    firetruck2.jpg

Usually a firetruck holds water. This time the water is holding up the firetruck:
    firetruck1.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Is this Ok?
    Local L. A. Fire truck taken shortly after 9/11

15768609-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Wow! These are neat!
    I'm sending the link to this thread to my daughter so she can show CJ! Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    What a neat antique engine!
    gpgold wrote:
    From Topanga Canyon's Topanga Days last year my grandson Brandon and his buddy Tyler playing on the truck, Brandon in the cab and an antique engine that was in the parade many times over the years. From my parade archives.

23222699-Th.jpg

23223408-Th.jpg

23222700-Th.jpg

23222701-Th.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

regards,

Gary

Thanks Gary, that antique engine is really neat! There's an old one that is open on top and this couple is using it to tour San Francisco. Saw it on Bay Area Backroads, but don't know if they are still running the tours. It looked like a great way to go across the Golden Gate Bridge.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    It Floated?
    David_S85 wrote:
    A couple more for CJ to look at.

Here is a lifesize firetruck made of cardboard for a cardboard boat event a few years ago.

Firetruck in drydock:
    firetruck2.jpg

Usually a firetruck holds water. This time the water is holding up the firetruck:
    firetruck1.jpg

Made of cardboard? What a labor of love that was! Wait till CJ sees that, he'll probably want to make one
    :):
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    This is great!
    bfjr wrote:
    Local L. A. Fire truck taken shortly after 9/11

15768609-Th.jpg

CJ watches fire truck tapes that were made in the L.A. area. He learned what all the dials, ladders, hoses, etc. are for. That's why they enjoy him at the fire stations because he can point to things on the trucks and tell the fireman what they are!

He has model and toy fire trucks and tells me what they are! He's really into fire trucks in a big way.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 28, 2005
    Dee - I'm driving to Palm Springs today so I'll keep my eyes open (a good thing to do when driving) for as many various FTs as possible.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    From Topanga Canyon's Topanga Days last year
    I love those old trucks, so they have so much character.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Thanks Angelo
    Angelo wrote:
    Dee - I'm driving to Palm Springs today so I'll keep my eyes open (a good thing to do when driving) for as many various FTs as possible.

I never knew there were so many different kinds of fire trucks until CJ got interested in them. His parents have helped by buying him videos, borrowing books from the library and taking him to visit fire stations. The firemen love the visits and have special stickers for visiting children, schools, pre-schools, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Well, I didn't find many but I did find one; from 1953! Wanna buy it? :D

23567765-M.jpg

23567768-M.jpg

23567762-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    A ladder truck?
    Angelo wrote:
    Well, I didn't find many but I did find one; from 1953! Wanna buy it? :D

23567765-Th.jpg

23567768-Th.jpg

23567762-Th.jpg

For sale, huh?

When I worked in Fremont we'd see a fire truck almost every day. Turned out they liked to eat at the same deli we did. Then when we went to another shopping center my daughter would discover a couple of engines, complete with firemen in the back of the center, seems it was a local meeting place for the firemen. There weren't too many places in the area for them to meet. There was one firehouse on the street bordering the shopping center. Then, there's another shopping center where they'd spot some trucks and firemen. If you keep an eye out, suddenly you can see them all over the place :):

While waiting for a light to change in San Francisco, I was able to shoot a fire truck thru my windshield. It was one where there's a fireman in the back of the truck to control the ladder. I'm not to clear on all this :):

Thank you Angelo, I'll make sure my daughter shows the new trucks to CJ.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    CJ says it's a Tiller Truck
    That one with the ladder? CJ informed me it's a tiller truck! He's all excited seeing the different fire trucks. So far his favorite is the one that floated! That one impressed me also!
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Here's a couple from Lancaster, PA:

21627218-L.jpg

21630672-L.jpg

From coverage of a parade.

john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    This one's not for CJ until he's a bit older but, It moved my wife and I to tears this Memorial weekend. It is part of the 9/11 exhibit at the Albany museum. It hurts to remember sometimes but we should never forget those who sacrificed everything so that others might live.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Thanks Johno
    Here's a couple from Lancaster, PA:

21627218-Th.jpg

21630672-Th.jpg

From coverage of a parade.

I was at CJ's house earlier and he wanted to see "his" fire trucks online! I left a bookmark for my daughter, so I hope she will check frequently. I understand fire trucks in Japan are BLUE!

You even got a person driving the fire truck! He'll be thrilled when he sees them. Thank you for posting.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Thanks Ian
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    This one's not for CJ until he's a bit older but, It moved my wife and I to tears this Memorial weekend. It is part of the 9/11 exhibit at the Albany museum. It hurts to remember sometimes but we should never forget those who sacrificed everything so that others might live.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

That is so sad, seeing the fire truck like that. It is good to know there are exhibits throughout the state, I'm sure it would be difficult to forget for anyone who lived through the experience.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited May 31, 2005
    Nice pictures of the fire trucks. I live in land of Yellow fire trucks so will see
    what I can do for CJ. There are a few left here :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2005
    Thanks, Ian, I'll be looking for them
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice pictures of the fire trucks. I live in land of Yellow fire trucks so will see
    what I can do for CJ. There are a few left here :)

Ian

clap.gif
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Two For the Price of One!
    Hi Dee!

Here are a couple firetrucks I found the other day (sorry, it's just the fronts). Evan loves firetrucks, too, but all the other firetruck pics that I took for him are on my old computer. So hopefully, this will do for now...

Cheers,
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2005
    Here's one from Lowell, Mass
    23997947-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2005
    Thanks, Nee
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Hi Dee!

Here are a couple firetrucks I found the other day (sorry, it's just the fronts). Evan loves firetrucks, too, but all the other firetruck pics that I took for him are on my old computer. So hopefully, this will do for now...

Cheers,
    ~Nee :)

Mark and CJ got to see a Russian C-5 and an F-18 plane today, along with the fire trucks at NASA Ames!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2005
    Thanks David
    david_h wrote:
    23997947-L.jpg

I'm sure CJ knows what kind of truck this is too!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Hey CJ look what I found !!
    Found this brand spanking new one sitting in the parking lot in Orange, CA.
    The fireman said they were waiting on some wierdo Photog (no names please :D, but we know who we are) to get stuck up in the hills looking for Birds and such :lol4.
    On the side it said "Urban Search and Recue Team"
    Hope you enjoy young man

25174662-L.jpg

a closer look at the gauges I hear you know all the right names

25174607-L.jpg

And Dgriners CJ would like to see more trucks from around the world. So come on folks...............Pony up some !! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    ahhh, if it's knobs and thingymabobs you want...

16726377-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2005
    Oh wow, a yellow one!
    bfjr wrote:
    Found this brand spanking new one sitting in the parking lot in Orange, CA.
    The fireman said they were waiting on some wierdo Photog (no names please :D, but we know who we are) to get stuck up in the hills looking for Birds and such :lol4.
    On the side it said "Urban Search and Recue Team"
    Hope you enjoy young man

25174662-S.jpg

a closer look at the gauges I hear you know all the right names

25174607-S.jpg

And Dgriners CJ would like to see more trucks from around the world. So come on folks...............Pony up some !! thumb.gif

CJ was visiting Friday and I showed him "his" firetruck thread and he was so excited he kept telling me what kind of truck each one was, and he wanted to know why the firetruck "floated" (The cardboard one) and when he came to your yellow one he was almost jumping up and down he was so happy to see a yellow one. When it came to the gauges my daughter started explaining about where the hoses get attached. Some are color coded, others use a numbering system. I learned more than I wanted to know. Thank you for posting!
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2005
    Your truck uses a number system, Angelo
    Angelo wrote:
    ahhh, if it's knobs and thingymabobs you want...

16726377-L.jpg

for where to connect the hoses. It's amazing CJ can just briefly glance and he knows if it's a pumper truck or a ladder truck. He really "is" enthusiastic about firetrucks! Thank you for including this one in the thread.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2005
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2005
    This is a little older fire truck.