Options

Five Urban Scenes

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
edited February 26, 2009 in Landscapes
The winter has been awful here, but we finally got a break so I wandered around a bit and caught these:

477825855_Nwb9H-L.jpg

477826745_ShRfE-L.jpg
477833070_BEkqF-L.jpg

477832301_ncMis-L.jpg

477829843_MXocE-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Very nice. I gotta do some of those.

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Hm don´t really see these as " street " more like quick snaps. I like nr 4! The only one that i think has street feeling.

maby your perpouse was something else? if so, sorry i got it all wrong :)
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2009
    Thanks for commenting, Rags and Arvan.

Arvan: I guess I don't understand what you mean by "street." I just walk the streets and try to grab whatever grabs me. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 22, 2009
    Richard, I see the H-CB inspiration in the first image.

Reflections have always been a staple of street shooters. Jay Maisel says to always shoot things on the other side of glass - whether from inside a telephone booth or within a vehicle.

The interaction of passersby with storefronts is classic street stuff. Always has been, Andy does this a lot.

Interesting group of shots, Richard!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Richard, good to see something from you! I was thinking that you were really plaster-cast for history!

But no... happily!

I like #4, but there's a strange thing about it... only the steps in the doorway are horizontal, everything else, including the window frame and the white line on the wall, lists to starboard. headscratch.gif

Now... which photographer superstar are you emulating there? rolleyes1.gifwink:D

BTW The yellow duds are dapper, no?
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    I like #4, but there's a strange thing about it... only the steps in the doorway are horizontal, everything else, including the window frame and the white line on the wall, lists to starboard. headscratch.gif
    No mystery to that. The street slopes downward. Notwithstanding which, humans expect their stairs to be perfectly horizontal, and who can blame them? In commercial real estate, we would call the ground level "half basement".
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    KED wrote:
    humans expect their stairs to be perfectly horizontal

Quite so!

But why paint the white line parallel to the slope of the ground and not horizontal? headscratch.gif

And why was the window sill not made horizontal? headscratch.gif

Oh well. Reminds me that the rain in Spain falls mainly... mwink.gif

• Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Richard, I see the H-CB inspiration in the first image.

Reflections have always been a staple of street shooters. Jay Maisel says to always shoot things on the other side of glass - whether from inside a telephone booth or within a vehicle.

The interaction of passersby with storefronts is classic street stuff. Always has been, Andy does this a lot.

Interesting group of shots, Richard!
    Thanks, Jim. Cartier-Bresson is one of my favorite photographers.

As for reflections, I find them rather difficult but fascinating. I am trying to train my eye to see them as the camera does, but my brain keeps trying to filter out what's on one side of the glass or the other. Maybe I'll find it easier after a few more brain cells have died. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Good catch, Neil. I hadn't noticed. I went back this morning and looked at the façade again. As KED says, the street is slightly inclined and the steps are level. The white trim is wildly inconsistent, sometimes parallel to the street, sometimes not. The window frame does not look truly aligned either. It is one of many low-cost, ugly buildings constructed after the Spanish Civil War in the neo-fascist style. The paint job is its only saving grace.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    It is one of many low-cost, ugly buildings constructed after the Spanish Civil War in the neo-fascist style.

Well, maybe we should call it deconstructionist eek7.gif (if I knew what that meant mwink.gif!).

And I applaud the happy ending accomplished by the white trim. Almost Wagnerian, don't you think? At least as metaphysical? clap.gif

• Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Almost Wagnerian, don't you think? At least as metaphysical? clap.gif

Hmm...closer to La Bohème than Siegfried, I think. mwink.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Great set Richard. I particularly like that first one clap.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    really enjoy your images here Richard, very interesting to me...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    Many thanks, Dan and Aaron. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hmm...closer to La Bohème than Siegfried, I think. mwink.gif

Well, Carmen would be more geographically relevant . Are you inclined to agree?

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Good catch, Neil. I hadn't noticed. I went back this morning and looked at the façade again. As KED says, the street is slightly inclined and the steps are level. The white trim is wildly inconsistent, sometimes parallel to the street, sometimes not. The window frame does not look truly aligned either. It is one of many low-cost, ugly buildings constructed after the Spanish Civil War in the neo-fascist style. The paint job is its only saving grace.
    Not to beat this to death, but the window itself IS horizontal (more or less -- you get what you pay for). The painter was either drinking on the job, or a diabolically clever illusionist. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Well, Carmen would be more geographically relevant . Are you inclined to agree?
    :D Yes, I lean in that direction.
    KED wrote:
    The painter was either drinking on the job, or a diabolically clever illusionist.
    I'd bet on the former. mwink.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Thanks, Jim. Cartier-Bresson is one of my favorite photographers.

As for reflections, I find them rather difficult but fascinating. I am trying to train my eye to see them as the camera does, but my brain keeps trying to filter out what's on one side of the glass or the other. Maybe I'll find it easier after a few more brain cells have died. lol3.gif

15524779-Ti.gif and 15524779-Ti.gif

I love reflections in urban environments, and I can never get enough of street scenes. Great stuff Richard and glad that you got to get out and out to shoot a bit! You should find the chance to do that more thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif and 15524779-Ti.gif

I love reflections in urban environments, and I can never get enough of street scenes. Great stuff Richard and glad that you got to get out and out to shoot a bit! You should find the chance to do that more thumb.gif

Thanks, Steph.