• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Support RapidFetcher - Bulk download galleries for Mac/Win/Linux

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  10
1 2 3 4 5 Last »
Old Feb-18-2009, 11:41 AM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
RapidFetcher - Bulk download galleries for Mac/Win/Linux
[FONT=Arial Black]UPDATE (May 24, 2010): There is a completely new build (not Adobe-AIR based) here ( http://bit.ly/rapidfetcher ) that should fix some of the issues with zero byte files. This is BETA (and has been tested only on a Mac), but please do report bugs/quirks that you find.[/FONT]

Hey guys,

I wrote a tiny Adobe AIR application that pulls images/videos from people's galleries. The application (and download instructions) can be found here . It's very early - does the basic stuff. It would be great if I could get your feedback / request features.

Ram

Installation Instructions for Old Adobe AIR application.

1. Download and install Adobe AIR installer from here: http://get.adobe.com/air/ (if you don't have it installed already)
1. Go to this page: http://rf-smugmug.appspot.com/latest/index.html
2. Click on the Install Now button
3. Click "Open" in the dialog. (This should install RapidFetcher in your Applications Directory)

==========================================
UPDATE [Version 0.50] (May 24, 2010)

There is a completely new build here that should fix some of the issues with zero byte files. This is BETA, but please do report quirks that you find.

1. Fixes zero-byte download issue.
2. Allows for URL-based download
3. Supports "largest" Video Size.

===========================================
UPDATE [Version 0.27] (Jan 4, 2010)

1. Automatic check for a newer version on startup.
2. Faster download speeds.

UPDATE [Version 0.26] (Jan 2, 2010)

1. Added support for downloading into separate directories per category/subcategory/album
2. Added better integration of progress.
3. Added support for Album specific passwords
4. Fixed filenames to reflect the names given while uploading.

UPDATE [Version 0.21] (March 4, 2009)

1. Fixed a bug that prevented images to be downloaded from Subcategories.

UPDATE [Version 0.20] (Feb 19, 2009)

1. Now allows Original downloads.
2. Logout button added.
3. Added Progress bar on downloads.

Last edited by raam; May-24-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old Feb-18-2009, 12:11 PM
gluwater is offline gluwater
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Hey Ram I just installed it and it works as stated. We've got a couple suggestions for you though.

Allow Original downloads - I think you already know about this one.
Have a log out button - people like to know they have logged out of their site.
Have some sort of progress indicator on the downloads. Like a % or file x of y. Something like that.

Nice simple easy to use program
nickwphoto
Old Feb-19-2009, 06:07 PM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins

2. Logout button added.

Thanks,
Ram

Last edited by raam; Feb-19-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old Feb-22-2009, 05:11 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Originally Posted by raam

2. Logout button added.

Thanks,
Ram
Seems to work! Cool :)
Old Feb-22-2009, 10:41 AM
JDub is offline JDub
Nikonian
I have to personally say thank you so much! This application works like a charm. I downloaded all my photos to my computer, since I just purchased a 1TB HDD. The wedding galleries, with over 2000 photos, downloaded perfectly with your program. The other smugmug photo grabber program, who will remain nameless, timed out after only downloading 200 pictures, and aborted itself. WTH! But yours, works beautifully. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Old Feb-22-2009, 06:13 PM
rich56k is offline rich56k
Major grins
Huh
Quote:

2. Logout button added.

Thanks,
Ram

OK - even a novice like me finally figured out how to get in this tool once downloaded (its not very clear at all to us non-tech-minded users)...

are there instructions somewhere I missed??????

however, once in it won't respond to my 'get album list' how 'bout a hand please...

so then if I click 'download' I get the att. reply - what am I missing?

ps: using an iMac 20" 2.33g C2D OSX 10.5.6 Safari 3.2.1

thanks
rich56k
Attached Images

Last edited by rich56k; Feb-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old Feb-22-2009, 07:48 PM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
It's an Adobe AIR application - setup can be a bit complicated if this is the first Adobe AIR application you are installing. I'll be happy to upload a video showing the installation process if there is more demand for it.

Anyway, as far as your specific issue is concerned: you may have to wait till your list of albums populate before selecting the image/video size.

I have uploaded a video that explains the entire process here:

http://ram2.smugmug.com/gallery/7430...79014595_JYVdu

Please let me know if that fixes your problem,

Ram

PS: In the next release I'll add a delay + a message that requests you to wait till your list of albums populate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich56k
OK - even a novice like me finally figured out how to get in this tool once downloaded (its not very clear at all to us non-tech-minded users)...

are there instructions somewhere I missed??????

however, once in it won't respond to my 'get album list' how 'bout a hand please...

so then if I click 'download' I get the att. reply - what am I missing?

ps: using an iMac 20" 2.33g C2D OSX 10.5.6 Safari 3.2.1

thanks
rich56k

Last edited by raam; Feb-22-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old Feb-22-2009, 07:54 PM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
I'm glad you found it useful. Let me know if there are any other features you would like me to implement.

I know I still have to work on the front-end to make it as hip as SmugMug.com.

Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub
I have to personally say thank you so much! This application works like a charm. I downloaded all my photos to my computer, since I just purchased a 1TB HDD. The wedding galleries, with over 2000 photos, downloaded perfectly with your program. The other smugmug photo grabber program, who will remain nameless, timed out after only downloading 200 pictures, and aborted itself. WTH! But yours, works beautifully. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Old Feb-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Major grins
Quote:
It's an Adobe AIR application - setup can be a bit complicated if this is the first Adobe AIR application you are installing. I'll be happy to upload a video showing the installation process if there is more demand for it.

Anyway, as far as your specific issue is concerned: you may have to wait till your list of albums populate before selecting the image/video size.

I have uploaded a video that explains the entire process here:

http://ram2.smugmug.com/gallery/7430...79014595_JYVdu

Please let me know if that fixes your problem,

Ram

PS: In the next release I'll add a delay + a message that requests you to wait till your list of albums populate.
Hi Ram,

I appreciate your response and the video...

however, have followed the video instruction and it's 6 minutes still no albums 'populating'

note: does illustrator need to be open? when I dbl-clicked on RapidFetcher.xml it opens illustrator (I have adobe creative suite 4 - design standard installed) but nothing happens - when I dbl-clicked on RapidFetcher.html it opens the window shown in the video (thats where I was earlier) I have approx 70 public non-passworded galleries and about 25 more unlisted with/without passwords - but nothing is 'populating'... now more like 15 minutes - hmmm...

knowing me its something so simple - but again

just for feedback sake - as a non techie when you open the downloaded folder whats to indicate what is needed to use this program = I just started clicking on items until something opened - could that be part of my problem?

rich

9:52 pm UPDATE: when I clicked on 'logout' and it replied 'you're not logged in yet' !!??...the plot thickens!!

10:05 pm UPDATE: just downloaded adobe AIR - but don't have a clue what to do with it ... I did re-try both as user and guest and still isn't 'populating' or even indicating I'm logged in...

Last edited by rich56k; Feb-22-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old Feb-22-2009, 10:27 PM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
It definitely sounds like an installation problem then.
  1. download and install Adobe AIR installer from here: http://get.adobe.com/air/
  2. Download RapidFetcher.air from http://raam.splitbook.com/RapidFetcher.air
  3. Double click RapidFetcher.air (it should now automatically open with Adobe AIR).
  4. After the installation process completes, you will find the file in your applications folder (usually /Applications/RapidFetcher.app)
  5. This is the file that you want to double-click.
Hope this helps. Let me know

Ram

Quote:
Hi Ram,

I appreciate your response and the video...

however, have followed the video instruction and it's 6 minutes still no albums 'populating'

note: does illustrator need to be open? when I dbl-clicked on RapidFetcher.xml it opens illustrator (I have adobe creative suite 4 - design standard installed) but nothing happens - when I dbl-clicked on RapidFetcher.html it opens the window shown in the video (thats where I was earlier) I have approx 70 public non-passworded galleries and about 25 more unlisted with/without passwords - but nothing is 'populating'... now more like 15 minutes - hmmm...

knowing me its something so simple - but again

just for feedback sake - as a non techie when you open the downloaded folder whats to indicate what is needed to use this program = I just started clicking on items until something opened - could that be part of my problem?

rich

9:52 pm UPDATE: when I clicked on 'logout' and it replied 'you're not logged in yet' !!??...the plot thickens!!

10:05 pm UPDATE: just downloaded adobe AIR - but don't have a clue what to do with it ... I did re-try both as user and guest and still isn't 'populating' or even indicating I'm logged in...
Old Feb-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Major grins
Sad Still no luck...
Quote:
It definitely sounds like an installation problem then.
  1. download and install Adobe AIR installer from here: http://get.adobe.com/air/
  2. Download RapidFetcher.air from http://raam.splitbook.com/RapidFetcher.air
  3. Double click RapidFetcher.air (it should now automatically open with Adobe AIR).
  4. After the installation process completes, you will find the file in your applications folder (usually /Applications/RapidFetcher.app)
  5. This is the file that you want to double-click.
Hope this helps. Let me know

Ram

OK still no luck...I agree with the 'instalation problem' theory - I don't see anything in the file ending ".air" to double click on...

Have installed Adobe AIR but when I double click on your "RapidFetcher.html" it opens in safari (not opening in AIR) and still won't complete the log-in (assuming by the fact when I try to 'logout' after being unable to accomplish anything (re: populate any lists) it says 'you haven't logged in' ...)
either this is way over my head or somethings wrong - - again there is no "RapidFetcher.air" file - as your step #3 refers to - only the original zip folder has that name -nothing else I can find...

Thanks for the attempts to help - if this becomes newb friendly let me know I'll keep checking back

thanks,

rich56k
Attached Images

Last edited by rich56k; Feb-24-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old Feb-24-2009, 09:27 AM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
Okay, let's try something different.

Go to this page: http://raam.splitbook.com/RapidFetcher/install.html
Click on the Install Now button, and click "Open" in the dialog. This should be much easier to install. Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Ram

Quote:
OK still no luck...I agree with the 'instalation problem' theory - I don't see anything in the file ending ".air" to double click on...

Have installed Adobe AIR but when I double click on your "RapidFetcher.html" it opens in safari (not opening in AIR) and still won't complete the log-in (assuming by the fact when I try to 'logout' after being unable to accomplish anything (re: populate any lists) it says 'you haven't logged in' ...)
either this is way over my head or somethings wrong - - again there is no "RapidFetcher.air" file - as your step #3 refers to - only the original zip folder has that name -nothing else I can find...

Thanks for the attempts to help - if this becomes newb friendly let me know I'll keep checking back

thanks,

rich56k
Old Feb-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Okay, let's try something different.

Go to this page: http://raam.splitbook.com/RapidFetcher/install.html
Click on the Install Now button, and click "Open" in the dialog. This should be much easier to install. Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks,
Ram

Hi Ram,

Yes , that not only works perfectly - it's completely 'newb-proof' also!

Super easy install, super fast download, even pulled originals when not 'enabled' in the gallery ...
this is ready for mass consumption!!

Thanks for going the extra mile for us that need an extra bit of simplcity!

A 'tip of the hat' to you sir!!

Thanks again,

rich

ps: this is a real bonus to us intel mac users that were having difficulty with smugDav
Old Feb-24-2009, 11:21 AM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
I am glad this worked for you! I have updated my main post to make this the default installation style.

Thanks,
Ram

Quote:
Hi Ram,

Yes , that not only works perfectly - it's completely 'newb-proof' also!

Super easy install, super fast download, even pulled originals when not 'enabled' in the gallery ...
this is ready for mass consumption!!

Thanks for going the extra mile for us that need an extra bit of simplcity!

A 'tip of the hat' to you sir!!

Thanks again,

rich

ps: this is a real bonus to us intel mac users that were having difficulty with smugDav
Old Mar-01-2009, 11:49 PM
jonstle is offline jonstle
Big grins
Not seeing all of my galleries
I have downloaded and installed RapidFetcher. When I log in I only see 2 of my 30+ galleries available to download.

Any thoughts?

www.moldytoast.net
Old Mar-02-2009, 12:12 AM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
Hmmm... never seen this. But, could you tell me a little bit more about what is different about these 2 galleries with respect to any of the rest of the gallaries?
E.g. date of creation, size of galleries, images / videos, access permissions etc.

Thanks,
Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstle
I have downloaded and installed RapidFetcher. When I log in I only see 2 of my 30+ galleries available to download.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Big grins
Quote:
Hmmm... never seen this. But, could you tell me a little bit more about what is different about these 2 galleries with respect to any of the rest of the gallaries?
E.g. date of creation, size of galleries, images / videos, access permissions etc.

Thanks,
Ram
I took a quick look at the 2 galleries that appear in rapid fetcher, here is some basis information:

Gallery one created February 28, 2009
55 images
unlisted
password protection - no
hello world - no
helllo smugers - no
external links - yes
Protected - no

Gallery two created December 2008
unlisted
password protection - yes
hello world - no
helllo smugers - no
external links - yes
Protected - no

The only thing I can see is that they are the only two which are not in a subcategory.

www.moldytoast.net
Old Mar-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Big grins
I think I may be onto something, I use sub-categories for organization, when I set a galleries subcategory to "none" it shows up in RapidFetcher.

www.moldytoast.net
Old Mar-03-2009, 02:32 AM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
Quote:
I think I may be onto something, I use sub-categories for organization, when I set a galleries subcategory to "none" it shows up in RapidFetcher.
I'll look into this.

Ram
Old Mar-03-2009, 10:48 PM
raam is offline raam OP
Big grins
This bug has been fixed in the latest version (0.21)

Sorry about that,
Ram

Quote:
Page 1  of  10
1 2 3 4 5 Last »
Tell The World!