Options

How to set defaults?

cybercrypt13cybercrypt13 Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited February 16, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Is it possible to setup defaults such as pricing, color specs, sharping and so forth that apply to everything I upload? I use Aperture to upload my images and while I can setup new categories and such it doesn't really allow me to setup much else. I don't like for smugmug to sharpen my images as I've already processed them all, I don't like having to go setup prices for every single gallery individually and I'd like to have prints printed with my own colors and not be modified.

Hopefully someone can tell me how to do this.

Thanks,

glenn
--

glenn hancock
http://www.gshutter.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Is it possible to setup defaults such as pricing, color specs, sharping and so forth that apply to everything I upload? I use Aperture to upload my images and while I can setup new categories and such it doesn't really allow me to setup much else. I don't like for smugmug to sharpen my images as I've already processed them all, I don't like having to go setup prices for every single gallery individually and I'd like to have prints printed with my own colors and not be modified.

Hopefully someone can tell me how to do this.

Thanks,

glenn
    Set portfolio pricing and it will apply to all new galleries.

There is no way to set gallery level defaults other than pricing that I am aware of. It has frequently been requested (I particular want it for the square or rectangular settings for thumbs, but we haven't seen any receptivity or action from Smugmug on it. For some settings, you can make a settings template and use that when creating the gallery, but it is not very common for third party uploaders to support that - I don't know about the Aperture plug-in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Set portfolio pricing and it will apply to all new galleries.

There is no way to set gallery level defaults other than pricing that I am aware of. It has frequently been requested (I particular want it for the square or rectangular settings for thumbs, but we haven't seen any receptivity or action from Smugmug on it. For some settings, you can make a settings template and use that when creating the gallery, but it is not very common for third party uploaders to support that - I don't know about the Aperture plug-in.

Sounds good, how do I set portfolio pricing? I don't see anything in the control panel for it. I'm still looking and will post back if I find it.

Thanks,

glenn
    --

glenn hancock
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Sounds good, how do I set portfolio pricing? I don't see anything in the control panel for it. I'm still looking and will post back if I find it.

Thanks,

glenn

Yeah, the Smugmug UI likes to hide the Portfolio pricing. I've posted on how it should be accessible from the control panel (where most people looking for a global setting like that would probably look first), but haven't gotten any response.

Anyway, open up a gallery, go to Set Pricing, then click on portfolio pricing at the top of that screen.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    thanks, I got that set. I also found a thing in the gallery settings that lets you save settings to use on other galleries, however, unless I'm doing something wrong its worthless as its not saving the sharpening and file size limit for downloads which are the two main things I want to change.

The usage of the control is pretty strange too because it seems to want you to save the entire setting to save the newly added item, but still doesn't save it.

I've been using smugmug for years now and love it in most ways, however, as a professional account subscriber, there are many things I absolutely hate about it. I spend too much time trying to setup each gallery and its a pain. I'd have thought by now they'd have something that worked for me.

Guess after 4 years I'm still having to do most things manually... :-(

glenn
    --

glenn hancock
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Guess after 4 years I'm still having to do most things manually... :-(

glenn
    Quicksettings and apply pricing from other galleries isn't working for you? They are really useful tools and I know lots of pros that swear by them, no manual setting of things at all. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Yeah, the Smugmug UI likes to hide the Portfolio pricing. I've posted on how it should be accessible from the control panel (where most people looking for a global setting like that would probably look first), but haven't gotten any response.

That's not true :D I thanked you, and told you that%
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    That's not true :D I thanked you, and told you that%
    I think you know by now that I'm not looking for a thanks. I'm looking for interaction with a developer that shows they have read, understood and ask questions about the feedback and hopefully thought some of it was useful enough to incorporate in a future release.

Cabbey made one minor comment about a point which he mostly misunderstood. BigWebGuy was only responding to something that Cabbey had wrong. There was ZERO developer interaction on any of the significant points. If this is the level of interaction I should expect on a serious usability assessment posting, then I will assume that your developers are just too busy to discuss feedback and stop spending my time writing stuff like this. It seriously feels like it just goes into the ozone.

Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't - I have absoutely no way of knowing. The ONLY way I would know was if someone who is actually responsible for this functionality participates in the discussion. That used to be what was unique about contributing feedback to Smugmug. It is rare now.
    --John
    HomepagePopular