Options

lost files

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited February 25, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I went out today and shot maybe..25 shots. as I was shooting them I was viewing them to see how they looked. got home and popped the card in the PC and they aren't there.

there were and still are 165 pics on the card. camera is a Nikon D40.

I thought maybe it had something to do with pulling the card out of the camera without turning the camera off but I just tried that and my test pic was there.

any input appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    I have the same camera and lost a whole days shoot. I am pretty sure that is what I did. Pulled card out with camera on.
    The only thing I didn't try was to save all shots on board camera to another folder. It was to late when I tought of it...
    Maybe that will save them I don't know. Hope this helps you.
    Royce
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    Taking a memory card out of a camera is the as taking a harddrive out of your computer while it is running......it may or may not hurt it...but the chances are against you......
    With the memory card you can recover those lost photos with the use of a recovery software......I use LexarMedia Image Rescue 2 (it may be up to 3 by now, as I have had my copy for a few years).....it gives you choices as to whether to recover just jpgs, raws or both.....if you run a deep recovery it may get images you shot a year ago also.....it is good and worth whatever Lexar is charging for it now.

On a last note....it you continue to pulll the cards out with the cam turned on it will totally fry your card one day and then no recovery.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2009
    thanks for the replies mates.