Options

Looking for DIY projects....

Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
edited July 1, 2005 in Technique
I have been looking for DIY projects to save some money. I cant afford to go out and buy anything I need for my camera. So I was wondering if anyone here had built anything for photography? Do you have pics of the process? Do you have links to where you may have learned how to do it?

One thing I have been looking into for now is the best way to make a ring light for some macro work. I have looked online and they are pretty pricey. Some of the continuous lighting ones are just little rings of LEDs but cost at least over $100.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Tim
www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....

Comments

• Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    One thing I have been looking into for now is the best way to make a ring light for some macro work.
    Tim
    J: You might try building a mini softbox for a standard flash. Here's one I built for macros:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7868

J&H
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    J: You might try building a mini softbox for a standard flash. Here's one I built for macros:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7868

J&H

Thanks J&H, nice job on the soft box.

I just finished building my homemade flash bracket. It needs a few more finishing touches before I can take a few pictures.

Thanks for the soft box ideas looks like you made yours for a 383. Thats what I have also so I can model mine from yours:D

Tim

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    I found this PDF.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,191 moderator
    edited May 25, 2005
    How about L.E.D. ring lights? Or....
    ....and about 10 dozen other strange projects:

http://www.photoprojects.net

Then there's the wacko world of Philo and his LEGO Mindstorm robot photography accessories...

http://www.philohome.com

Those enough for several boring winters worth?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    David and david:D thumb.gif

Thanks for the links I will have to check a few of those projects out. I plan to try the ring light first.

Tim

• Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    Here's one more to add to the list:

http://www.digihack.net/2005_02_24_article.php

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Then there's the wacko world of Philo and his LEGO Mindstorm robot photography accessories...
    http://www.philohome.com
    Philo and his legos so rock! Seriously, geek toys to the max!!!
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    Thanks for all the links everyone. There is plenty of stuff to try.thumb.gif

Tim

• Options
    edited June 5, 2005
    Anyone else have anything interesting?

Tim

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2005
    G'day tim...have a look here. Lets you work up to f/400

Best part is the camera making. Ive seen a refridgerator used as a camera...a room in an apartment (lets you sit beside the image & watch it burn to neg).. as well as an old VW combi van.

Costs...cake tin
    coke can
    pin
    photographic paper ($10)
    developer chemicals ($15)

The are no limits with pinholes. Do a google on the subject...there thousands of pages on the net about it.

Gus
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,191 moderator
    edited June 6, 2005
    Ah yes, the Camera Van guy...

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59929,00.html

There is also a guy in Chicago right now, renting out office space 15-20 floors up for a couple of days across from some interesting Chi city scenes and landmarks. He covers all the windows in black except for a 2" hole exactly in the center of the middle window. The whole room then becomes a pinhole camera.

The unique difference is that he uses a small lens behind the pinhole opening to flip the image back right-side up. And instead of film covering the entire back wall, he then photographs the result conventionally (w/ large format) from the pinhole vantage point. He also arranges the furniture so the image is mixing artfully with the office. It is those images he then sells, displays, and places in his books. There was a Chicago Tribune story about the guy a couple weeks back.

Tim, you game with either of those ideas?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2005
    Wow thats sounds neat.

I have seen alot of pinhole cams and such. I might just have to give that I try sometime. It may be a good inside winter project. I have book marked your links and will continue to read up about it.

Thanks Guys!!
    Tim

• Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2005
    Heres my ring flash! ne_nau.gif Just cut a rectangle hole in a ping pong ball that allows it to slip over your flash . Works great. Have fun! There is n satisfaction greater than not having to "pay" a price for a good photo.thumb.gif
    15078801-M.jpg

Wow thats sounds neat.

I have seen alot of pinhole cams and such. I might just have to give that I try sometime. It may be a good inside winter project. I have book marked your links and will continue to read up about it.

Thanks Guys!!
    Tim
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2005
    Netgarden wrote:
    Heres my ring flash! ne_nau.gif Just cut a rectangle hole in a ping pong ball that allows it to slip over your flash . Works great. Have fun! There is n satisfaction greater than not having to "pay" a price for a good photo.thumb.gif

Hey thanks Net for addin to my thread. I have seen this project several times. I dont use the onborad flash but maybe I could get a wiffle ball or something larger to fit on a sunpak 383.

Nice to see you posting over here as well!thumb.gif

Tim

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    I have been meaning to try this for ages.

A 52mm Cokin "P" ring, ( I am not that good with vacuum moulded plastic)

Drill lots of 6.5mm holes in the ring and glue the caps into the holes
    25612916-M.jpg

Insert the LED's
    25615426-M.jpg

And give it to a friendly electrician to solder the resistors
    25616235-M.jpg

I will post the finished article, if he can wire it up ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    This was a DIY project. We had to get the camera out over the edge, further the tripod could reach, to not see the roof above. The roof access was even worse and more dangerous with an eight foot tall wall.

Safety first, it's only $9000+ sitting out there, five stories up. Pretty simple, a board, a 3/8" bolt, tripod head, some clamps and yes two laptop and cases to weigh it down. eek7.gif If the camera goes, the laptops may as well too.

Besides the stuff we had the board was cull lumber, so it was $1.01 and the bolt was $.29 (I think), who needs an expensive carbon fiber tripod. rolleyes1.gif

25843640-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    This was a DIY project. We had to get the camera out over the edge, further the tripod could reach, to not see the roof above. The roof access was even worse and more dangerous with an eight foot tall wall.

Safety first, it's only $9000+ sitting out there, five stories up. Pretty simple, a board, a 3/8" bolt, tripod head, some clamps and yes two laptop and cases to weigh it down. eek7.gif If the camera goes, the laptops may as well too.

Besides the stuff we had the board was cull lumber, so it was $1.01 and the bolt was $.29 (I think), who needs an expensive carbon fiber tripod. rolleyes1.gif

I am sure your nieghbors got a laugh outta seeing this rig hanging out the window.rolleyes1.gif

Did you get your shot? Still have it?

Tim

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    I am sure your nieghbors got a laugh outta seeing this rig hanging out the window.rolleyes1.gif

Did you get your shot? Still have it?

It was a hotel walkway. :D We got the shot and the camera stayed put. clap.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

25843640-S.jpg

mmmmm mr pibb 1drink.gif
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    It was a hotel walkway. :D We got the shot and the camera stayed put. clap.gif
    Wait a minute, that's not a hotel walkway! I recognize my house in that view outside your window. And that's my bathroom window your camera is aiming at!

I want royalties on all those pics of me that have been floating around the internet!! mwink.gif

Apologies for hijacking this thread with off-topic thoughts!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    Flash Bracket....
    Well one of my first DIY's was a flash bracket. It came out pretty well I think. I have used it several times and has worked well. Here are several shots of it.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    Here it is with a Sunpak 383 attached.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    I then moved on to another project. I was kicking around alot of ideas on how to make a flash diffuser. I wanted just something small and portable. I came up with the following but have not done much testing with it yet. Here are some shots.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    The housing is a weather proof cover that you put on an outdoor plug. I removed the back plate that you would bolt to the plug and cut a square hole in the front of the clear housing. I then cut a piece of diffuser from a 2x4 lay in fixture. This is the type of fixture you find in stores and offices. You can find this lens as a replacement at a home center, so you dont have to buy the entire light fixture. I cut the lens to the EXACT size of the opening in the cover and snapped it in. The hole in the front is just the right size for my 383.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    Here it is on my 383

• Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    I have been meaning to try this for ages.

A 52mm Cokin "P" ring, ( I am not that good with vacuum moulded plastic)

Drill lots of 6.5mm holes in the ring and glue the caps into the holes

Insert the LED's

And give it to a friendly electrician to solder the resistors

I will post the finished article, if he can wire it up ne_nau.gif

This is one of my next projects. I like your start. Did you get it finished?

Tim

• Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    This is one of my next projects. I like your start. Did you get it finished?

Tim
    It is alright, I think I messed up the resistors though, I wanted to end up with a 9v battery, but have only got about 6v, which makes for a more cumbersome battery pack.

It allows shots of 1/6 sec F/8, but until I get the battery pack sorted, I haven't a suitable shot to post
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    It is alright, I think I messed up the resistors though, I wanted to end up with a 9v battery, but have only got about 6v, which makes for a more cumbersome battery pack.

It allows shots of 1/6 sec F/8, but until I get the battery pack sorted, I haven't a suitable shot to post

Stan,

Did you have a wiring diagram to follow for the resistors? hows come you cant get 9v leds and just wire them straight to the battery? Did you put any sort of dimmer on the lights to adjust your output? Looks like it came out pretty well so far.

Keep me posted.

Tim

• Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Hi Tim,

I took my inspiration from here

And bought my stuff from here in Germany, I am sure it can be sourced elsewhere but this was much cheaper than the high street

I think I bought This because of the wider degree of luminosity but I think the brighter one at 22000mcd is brobably better. The description thread shows the diagram here using 62ohms 1/8th watt resistors headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifne_nau.gif so I did and it turned out to be 6volts total.

Oh and I bought little clip cups to hold the leds I glued them in place.

Good luck

Stan