Madrid Cow Parade Part 1

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited January 26, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
If you wait long enough, everything comes everywhere. In 1998, artists in Zurich placed hundreds of cow sculptures around the city. The idea caught on, and cows quickly appeared in cities around the world including Chicago, NYC, Paris, Tokyo, London and others. They finally did some in Madrid. Here are a few:

1. Milk on the Rocks, by Esperanza Extrader
462054420_JXnaz-L.jpg

2. Café Olé Vaca Paca, by Carmina Coscollar (I can't resist multilingual puns)
460786334_44LFx-L.jpg

3. El Baile, by Jemma. In the background, Kid Cow, by Alex Wandosell
462054619_pAjDK-L.jpg

4. Verónica, by Pilar Oñate & Mladen Vladmirov
460741669_59xqk-L.jpg
5. Sabe a Mixta Cerdo Volador, by Jaume Ros
460759158_LgtCh-L.jpg

6. Vacámara and in the background Vaca Reportera, both by McCann Erickson
460737681_QRajs-L.jpg

7. Urna, by Carlos Pinto & Alessandro Di Matteo
460725129_MZMah-L.jpg
There are many more on display that I haven't seen yet--they're all over the city--but I'm hoping to catch some more if there's ever a break in the dreary weather we have been having this winter.

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Well the Spanish have definitely done 'cows' better, more creatively, more fun, than anywhere else I've seen them or variations there of.

We had bison, and I am sure only one mold, that was then provided to any group interested in designing a theme for one.

Yours, well, they are quite brilliant!

ann
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    Lovely series Richard, I look forward to seeing more.

It is interesting to see the various cow interpretations.

The local art museum, Swope Art Gallery, had a similar event here a while back, with horses. But as Anne said, only one single mold, unfortunately.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    Thanks, Ann and Jim. thumb.gif If you like this sort of thing, there are quite a few more in my New Pics Gallery. Or you can see a slideshow of the entire set on the event's official page. The official photos are just the cows on a white background, though. I think they gain a lot by being seen in their urban context.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2009
    Hi Richard,

Well done series. Jacksonville, FL did a similar exhibition using the Jaguar as the theme.....to honor the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL...but also limited to one mold, even though the color and paint variations were quite different. Thanks a lot for sharing this interesting display with us.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 26, 2009
    Hi Richard,

Well done series. Jacksonville, FL did a similar exhibition using the Jaguar as the theme.....to honor the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL...but also limited to one mold, even though the color and paint variations were quite different. Thanks a lot for sharing this interesting display with us.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. Most of the cows seem to have come from the same two, maybe three molds, and some of them are quite striking based solely on the decoration. Still, my favorites so far are the ones that were completely original.