Options

Checking on the status of Watermarking

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Last I heard this was being worked on, but I'd like to check on it again. Here's what would be great in my opinion. Allow us to upload a custom watermark and allow us to choose what size of image to display that watermark. The current "proof" is too obtrusive (I would make one that were a bit more transparent) and doesn't allow me to have my website address on it.

In a perfect situation (for me) this is what I'd be able to do. Upload the images, allow users to view small and medium photos without the watermark since they won't yield worthwhile prints anyhow, and embed a personalized watermark to the large and original sized images. That way you can print it if you want to, but that print (or desktop background or screensaver) will always have my website burned into it. Right now I don't even use the watermark and I only allow users to view the small and medium sized images, but I'd like them to be able to investigate the full sized images if they want.

Thoughts?
Mike
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I would love to have the preference in putting watermarks on only large and\or original size pics and have a degree of opacity to choose from.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Update Please
    What is the status of having more watermark options which are more transparent and customizable than the current PROOF. Current PROOF tends to hide too much of the photo.

Greg
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    BenVBenV Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Add me to the list of inquisitors...

BenV
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Add me to the list - as I just signed up a week ago. I don't want people stealing my photos (since they like to download the photos of ferries I take). I want to protect them to some degree. Maybe we should all invest in Digimarc then we can know who's using it.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    wanderingeyewanderingeye Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Me too!
    I like all of Mike's suggestions. It would be VERY uesful to have to ability to custom watermark larger images.
    David Cothran (Wandering Eye)
    http://www.wandering-eye.com

"the days run away like wild horses over the hills"
    Bukowski
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Another way to do it is to have a "Watermark Editor" in the CP where you enter the info you want on each image into a text box, as well as auto year copyrighting it based on year photo was taken. uploading a transparent background image (once for both portrait and landscape) would be also good for managing copyright. Then have a transparency setting per photo/gallery etc (using CSS) to tell how much to show it etc. Also in the CP you can set what sizes to put watermark on or which file to use (you may want mutliple styles of watermark different ones for each site, gallery etc).
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Add me to the list of people who want to know the status of this as well. There is no upgrade that I rather have (and don't get me wrong, there are new features I would like, such as the undoable thumbnail upload so that I only have to post-process when an order is made, or to have print packages for sale, baseball card style prints, and some sort of nicer gifts (i.e. gifts that are nice enough they are expensive enough/quality enough to be actual gifts).
    Richard
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Sign me up for watermarking info as well. The proof too often makes it too difficult to truly tell what is in the image. umph.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    ktaylorktaylor Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    Sign me up for watermarking info as well. The proof too often makes it too difficult to truly tell what is in the image. umph.gif
    don't forget to add me! I'm new to the whole smugmug/hosting pictures thing.. but i can tell that my photos can't be seen "that well" when the watermark is on top of it...my clients may not be able to tell if the picture is really good (in their eyes) or not.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Still no word on this? Not even an estimated year of arrival?
    Richard