Inauguration Day 2009 (29 Images)

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited January 29, 2009 in Journeys
A little more than a week ago, a photographer friend of mine rang me up to ask if I was planning on attending the inauguration. She said she was planning to photograph people and hand out her business card, and that she'd love if I would accompany her. At that point, I was honestly torn. I live just 10 min. south of D.C., so I would have hated to be that close and not be there, but I also dreaded the very idea of dealing with the 2 million people estimated to attend--and figuring out how to get there since they were effectively sealing off northern Virginia that day.

After much hemming and hawing over the phone with my father, it occurred to me that said friend lived on a boat on the waterfront...inside the closed-off perimeter security was making around the city and within walking distance of the Mall. After that realization, it was very hard to rationalize not making the effort. I called her back and made a deal: if she would let me crash on her boat the night before, I'd wage through the masses with her to see the inauguration in person.

The night before, the Metro was almost dead going into the city.

459097010_XDtzc-L.jpg

Once I arrived in the heart of the city, however, I pushed against a steady stream of people trying to get back to their hotels after a day spent wandering the museums and other D.C. sites.

459097694_2RW8E-L.jpg

459120739_vdgFD-L.jpg

I desperately tried not to think about how this boded for the return trip home the next night, after the inauguration festivities ended.

I met up with my friend a block away, and we headed back to her boat. After a fantastic dinner, we all (her parents were also visiting for the inauguration) headed to bed early to rest up for what we knew was coming the next day.

We woke late and moseyed up to the Mall at a leisurely pace around 8:30am. Large, lit signs proclaiming "National Mall This Way" helped guide the people milling in the streets toward the day's events, and the garbage cans were already overflowing from the previous day.

459099567_uXZzC-L.jpg

One gentleman stopped us a few blocks away from the capitol building to tell us everything was already full and barricaded up ahead. He advised us to turn around and cut west across another street to head straight for the Washington Monument, as that's what the guards ahead were telling everyone. (He was a bit cross that he'd walked all the up only to have to walk all the way back.)

459098698_k5HnE-L.jpg

My friend and I were determined just to keep walking to see how close we could get. Her parents wanted to follow the affable stranger's advice, so we split ways.

Up ahead, tourists were asking an FBI agent if they could take their picture with him. It was so surreal, I stopped to snap a few photos. As I walked on, I glanced over my shoulder and saw this unfolding:

459100706_yetKg-L.jpg

Police were everywhere.

459139254_3FuVT-L.jpg

459207037_6uGuH-L.jpg

Including some not-so-Secret Service.

459207987_3GwHX-L.jpg

Street vendors also peppered the streets, sidewalks, and corners, hawking bookmarks, hats, shirts, buttons, flags, posters, and more.

459099962_9DQfm-L.jpg

459139697_JTnWJ-L.jpg

After being funneled along in barely mobile herds, we noticed a flurry of activity just after we passed a very well-guarded barricade. People had found a spot to jump the barrier, and there was a rush to get over before being discovered. Strangers helped those who couldn't manage on their own to get across the concrete and metal.

459225067_YTN6r-L.jpg

459225581_zBdaM-L.jpg

Past the traditional barriers, we found ourselves blocked by a fence of port-a-potties, on top of which some spectators had climbed for a better view.

459225986_vWFE6-L.jpg

459237756_2nS5s-L.jpg

There was a narrow gap between two port-a-potties just large enough for one person to squeeze through to get to an open area beyond, and about 100 people proceeded to do so at once. After pushing forward as far as was possible, we got thoroughly stuck in the masses. It grew more packed as noon drew nearer, preventing me at times from being able to raise my hands above my head to snap photos. I was able to manage it a few times.

459238485_c4CCd-L.jpg

We couldn't see anything except more people from where we were, not even a Jumbotron, so I settled in to chat with and photograph those we were now in very close quarters with. The good part is being surrounded by a wall of people blocks the wind, so it was decidedly less chilly for a few hours.

The majority of people we stood with were very polite and just so happy to be there. We joked and laughed together. The energy and jubilation was palpable, and the positive, happy wave just seemed to lift everyone up. There were grins from ear to ear.

459337959_fWgYk-L.jpg

459262646_hL7j5-L.jpg

459704579_biqR9-L.jpg

And some tears of joy.

459734215_jE39f-L.jpg

People of all ages waited in anticipation for Barack Obama to take his oath.

459264857_4mHUu-L.jpg

459706107_X6E8T-L.jpg

And once he was sworn in, cries of joy, applause, whistles, laughter all rang out in a swell of voices the like of which I've never heard in my life.

459341649_uiGtu-L.jpg

Spirits were so high everywhere, that even the policemen who were still standing in the cold on the street we'd passed hours earlier still had smiles on their faces.

459736655_7sCh6-L.jpg

Blearily, we moved with the millions trying to get home after such an amazing day.

459748131_XJR2c-L.jpg

Their pride and excitement still visible not only in their faces, but also in their attire.

459747536_5HHjx-L.jpg

459735939_ofZep-L.jpg

459825881_zvRT6-L.jpg

I took a nap at my friend's place to recover a bit from the cold and the weariness of being pushed around by millions of people for several hours. Getting home took some finagling, but I finally managed to squeeze onto a train and arrived home about 3 hours after I'd started back. Now the energy was winding down, and the exhaustion claimed quite a few people as they rode back to their hotels and homes.

459827941_wVMSQ-L.jpg

Apologies for so many images in one post. It was such an amazing day to experience, I found it hard paring it down to even these few. :D Thank you for bearing with it.

In case you haven't had enough, the full gallery is here: http://theoriginalblackcat.com/inauguration

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    amazing! great shots. thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Oh, Kerry, I've been waiting to see what shots you got!! Thanks for sharing. THANK YOU. Will spend many happy minutes going through the main gallery!!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 22, 2009
    Just spectacular photo journaling Kerry! Super dandy work!!!!!thumb.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Your series left a big smile on my face. What a day!! Thank you so much for sharing your photos of the real stars of the day - the people! In many ways these are more meaningful than those taken of the ceremonies and events open to only a relative few.

Virginia

Email
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Thank you for all the kinds comments, y'all. iloveyou.gif It was an amazing day, and I'm so happy to be able to share some of it with you.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Fantastic gallery, Kerry! Just awesome! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited January 23, 2009
    What an amazing look at the inauguration! The people--what a collection of different folks.

Thanks for going and for bringing back a great story!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    bowdown.gifbow

Even if you didn't have such a story and this wasn't such a moving event, these photos are amazing, touching captures of candid people - REAL people. I love this set and you did a fantastic job.
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Great shots. My favorite is the one of the guy with all the flags stuck in his collar.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Beautiful series of photos Kerry. The b&w processing in the escalator shots is outstanding and I can't say enough about the sharpness, clarity, comps, and colors in your photojournalism style. thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Amazing photos of historic event !clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    WOW beautiful series and amazing photos!!!!

thanks for sharing
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Thank you so much, all. iloveyou.gif PJ photography is difficult and not my forte (I have serious admiration for those who do it for a living), so I'm thrilled you seem to be enjoying the story of this amazing day and perhaps feel a little of what I did being there. I'm so happy my friend dragged me along (literally, at times, so I wouldn't lose her in the crowd!). :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Super PJ Kerry. clap.gifclap.gif Frankly, I'd much rather see all this through your camera than being there myself. I hate crowds.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Super Job!

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Amazing! I know that you were out of your element, but it doesn't show in your work.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Entire gallery, very cool! And what a sea of folks in that Video!

terrific!

tom
    tom wise
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Fantastic! Great series, it felt like I was there. :ivar
    Chris
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 24, 2009
    Very nice work, Kerry.

I loved seeing this thread and the images in your gallery!

Very well done!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2009
    Very nice work. I like that it is about the people attending.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Wonderful series!! The B&W shots really stand out. Outstanding job!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 29, 2009
    That is some mighty-fine photography and reporting there, Kerry. thumb.gifthumb
    Enjoyed it immensely.

-joel